autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Review: SONAX Profiline Headlight Restoration Kit

Cloudy oxidized and yellowed headlights are a problem and they are likely going to always be a problem do to the nature of plastic and the environment our cars are exposed to. So you have a 3 options,

1. Trade in the old car when the headlights become oxidized - kind of spendy but it fixes the problem for a few years.
    2. Hire someone to restore your headlights.
    3. Do-it-yourself.

In my experience, doing it yourself is the most cost-effective option and with a complete kit like the SONAX Profiline Headlight Restoration Kit you get everything you need to do the job right the first time.

This kit includes:

1. SONAX P-Ball
    2. SONAX Wet-Sanding Discs
    3. SONAX 3.5 in. Wool Lambskin Pad
    4. SONAX Headlight Polish
    5. SONAX Profiline Headlight Protection
    6. SONAX Polishing Cloths
    7. SONAX Microfiber Cloth

Directions:

1. Wash and dry your headlights.

2. Tape off the areas surrounding your headlights with masking tape to avoid splash and overspray.

3. If your headlights are in particularly rough condition, use the SONAX Wet-Sanding discs (starting with the P1000 and following with the P2000) in combination with the SONAX P-Ball to wet-sand them. Make sure to wipe off any abrasive residue using a cloth before continuing.

4. Lightly moisten the SONAX Lambskin Pad and attach it to either the SONAX P-Ball or your preferred rotary polisher.

5. Apply the SONAX Headlight Polish directly onto the SONAX Lambskin Pad and polish the surface of your headlights until the plastic appears clear. Wipe any remaining residue off using the shallow nap side of the SONAX Microfiber Cloth.

6. Spray SONAX Profiline Headlight Protection onto a SONAX Polishing Cloth and apply a thin layer of product to your headlight.

7. After the SONAX Profiline Headlight Protection has almost evaporated completely, apply a second layer of product using the same method as before (make sure to use a fresh SONAX Polishing Cloth).

8. Once the second layer of SONAX Profiline Headlight Protection has almost evaporated completely, use the soft, longer napped side of the SONAX Microfiber Cloth to buff the surface of your headlight.

9. Allow the SONAX Profiline Headlight Protection approximately an hour to cure completely. Make sure that the headlights are not exposed to any moisture during this time.

Before storing your SONAX Profiline Headlight Protection, turn the can upside-down and briefly spray until the valve is empty. This will prevent the product from curing inside the valve and clogging it.

So I followed the instructions above but gave the sanding portion a little tweak as I tend to be a "Machine Guy" plus here at Autogeek, we don't sell hands.

See the pictures down below...

On Autogeek.net

Mike Phillips

Re: Review: SONAX Profiline Headlight Restoration Kit

Continued...

Here's my test car, a very neglected Lexus....

Not looking good nor safe for night driving...

Everything you need comes in the kit...

Tape off surrounding paint...

I recommend two layers of tape of you're sanding - just in case you accidently sand onto the tape....

Using the included sanding discs and P-Ball - sand off all of the oxidation...

Hand sanding works, but the sanding discs also fit this little puppy....

After sanding thoroughly with the #1000 sanding disc, refine your sanding marks using the #2000 sanding disc

You can also use these discs by hand to get into tight areas...

Now you're ready to remove the sanding marks...

Looking good....

Time to seal the headlight...

Apply a thin layer and let it dry...

Wait until the first layer has completely evaporated and dried and then apply a second thin layer...

Allow the second layer to completely dry for one hour and then use the soft nap side of the included towel to give the headlight a soft wipe...

Done!

Of course I finished the other half...

On Autogeek.net

3. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes The Guz, Frank70, GEM65, SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Continued....

Review

This is a super easy kit to use. Of course, the worse your headlights the more you'll need to sand to remove all the dead, oxidized plastic. but once you get the plastic down to a clean, hard base the rest of the steps are as easy as applying a wax to car paint.

Also - working by hand works, but the little mini polisher I used to machine wetsand does a better job faster for headlights in really bad condition. It's up to you, but I prefer to work by machine.

Here's a tip - BEFORE your headlights get as bad as the headlights you see on this car, get this kit and apply the Headlight Protection and then you won't have to do all the hard step.

Post Thanks / Like

Sonax makes really good products and I agree “you get what you pay for”, but for $99 I could buy enough supplies to do several sets of headlights. It is the most expensive headlight repair kit I have seen. Sandpaper and a wool pad is not expensive. I does come in a nice plastic box. I would consider it for $50. I don’t think most detailers charge more than $100 to repair a set of headlights. I really don’t like to be negative about any product.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post

Sonax makes really good products and I agree “you get what you pay for”, but for $99 I could buy enough supplies to do several sets of headlights.

Thank you for your feedback, as I normally do, I send the link to all the vendors for any product I review so they will read and see your feedback.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the reply and feedback rlmccarty2000. We certainly appreciate your perspective based on what you see and have read. If I may, I'd like to clarify some things about the kit. The kit was assembled specifically for professionals who recondition headlights as a service on a regular basis and are looking for an all-encompassing kit for doing such work. Based on what we have seen through testing, the kit should recondition 20-40 SETS of headlights. The only item that deteriorates before 20 sets was the wet sanding discs. So based on the $99 price and reconditioning that many sets we are looking at $3-5 per service. Which we thought was a fair price. Hope this information helps!! All the best, Jason

8. Thanks Diner, JustJesus thanked for this post
    Likes JWallace, JustJesus liked this post