autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Griots Garage 5 inch Lithium-Ion Random Orbital Polisher

Griots Garage 5 inch Lithium-Ion Random Orbital Polisher

I took this picture a few weeks ago and it's been sitting in a folder waiting to be uploaded so I could share my thoughts about this tool. So before I go into a major picture process project I figure might as well upload the picture and create this thread.

This is a cool tool. It's a cordless waxing machine.

First - it's NOT for doing correction work, so get that though out of your mind.

It IS for machine applying a coat of wax or synthetic sealant without fumbling with the cord or for when you don't have access to power, like at a car show. I use this anytime I want to quickly machine apply a wax to my own car. Now days I use the Pinnacle Liquid Jeweling Wax and with a foam polishing pad it actually will remove fine or shallow scratches. More important,

Machine > Human hand

Yes, even this lightweight, compact cordless tool will do a better job of laying down a coat of wax or sealant than the human hand. I show this to all the seasoned members of our society that I detail cars for because it will help them to maintain the results I restore to their favorite ride without having to become a detailer. By this I mean, this tool keeps things simple. One tool, a couple of pads and a bottle of wax or sealant. Apply a thin coat and by the time you've applied the product you can start removing following your path of travel.

It's easy to hold and in most cases you can machine apply a coat of wax or sealant to an entire medium sized car with a single battery. If the first battery does run out of battery life then you can swap out to the extra batter and easily get the job done.

The initial purchase price is a tick steep considering other tools under this prices like the awesome Griot's Garage 6" and 3" random orbital polishers, but for what it does and the way it does it, (cordless), it's very handy... no pun intended...

Price - $239.99

Years ago one of my co-workers in conversation to one of our sales staff said,

"Never spend another man's money"

By this he meant to coach the person and was teaching them that what may seem expensive to some may be a drop in the bucket to others, and visa-versa. So for some of you this might be an expensive tool to simply machine apply a coat of wax. For others this might be a value because it will do the job better and faster than your hand and of course.... it's cordless.

Next time I use it I'll try to find someone here at AG that's not busy to take a few pictures...

Griots Garage 5 inch Lithium-Ion Random Orbital Polisher - $239.99

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griots Garage 5 inch Lithium-Ion Random Orbital Polisher

Such a great idea. Something like that would have been great when we were in an apartment.

I had enough peiple driving by, asking when they can get their car done, that it would have paid for itself....

Post Thanks / Like

Seen their video and would Love to try it. If light enough maybe I could convince the wife it was fun, and get her to have fun in garage. Okay back to reality, the cordless is a strong plus and most likely the future of most our tools. Do try to give us more tips, it might be good way to give the arms a break from the G6 unit doing wax application.

Post Thanks / Like

I use it to apply glass polish and sealant to the windshield. Tough to beat cordless.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post

Such a great idea. Something like that would have been great when we were in an apartment.

I had enough peiple driving by, asking when they can get their car done, that it would have paid for itself....
    And it actually will remove fine or shallow swirls when using either a polish or a quality cleaner/wax, just keep you expectations in the real-world.

I think it's good for guys that get their car detailed professionally and the LSP is a wax or a sealant, then the owner can maintain using this tool and remove all the fine/shallow marring they put in when wiping and using dusters.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post

Seen their video and would Love to try it.

If light enough maybe I could convince the wife it was fun, and get her to have fun in garage. Okay back to reality, the cordless is a strong plus and most likely the future of most our tools.
    I agree, just look at the cordless cars out their now days...

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post

Do try to give us more tips, it might be good way to give the arms a break from the G6 unit doing wax application.
    This is on my To-Do List.

Quote Originally Posted by gspam1 View Post

I use it to apply glass polish and sealant to the windshield.

Tough to beat cordless.

Great idea - thanks for sharing...

7. Likes dlc95 liked this post