autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review: Pinnacle Advanced Glass Cleaner

Review: Pinnacle Advanced Glass Cleaner

First, here's what the copy on the Autogeeek.com store page says...

Advanced Glass Cleaner is a streak-free formula designed to remove even the heaviest contamination on both interior and exterior glass surfaces. Smoker's film, road grime, dirt, dust, and insects are quickly dissolved and removed for an advanced clean.

Pinnacle Advanced Glass Cleaner features:

• Ammonia free and safe for use on tinted windows
    • Removes grime on interior and exterior glass surfaces
    • Quickly removes smoker's film and other heavy contaminants
    • Wipes away streak-free

16 oz.

The features read like everything you want in a glass cleaner. This is going to be tough because I thought I had written my best glass cleaner reviews when I wrote these two....

The photography work in this one is some of my best work in my opinion.

How to remove Smokers Film off inside of windshield - Review: BLACKFIRE Glass Cleaner

And this one is no slouch... only in this one I used the SCANGRIP Sunmatch light for my photography work...

Review: - Removing the happy face in Vinyl Fog by Mike Phillips

So - I have my work cut out for me.

Once I had the KIA Soul in the garage and cooled down for the review I did on the Pinnacle Advanced Insect Remover, because the glass was also dirty, figured might as well push through and test out this new glass cleaner on the car I already had in the garage.

Here's the passenger side window, you can see dead bugs and the traffic film outline from where the wipers DON'T reach.

Traffic film is an oily film that comes from the water the cars in FRONT of you SPRAY onto your car as you drive behind them in the rain. Here's my article on this topic. This first picture is from a book I wrote that is waiting in queue to be published on how to winterize your car.

Road Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film

Here's where road film comes from....

Motor Oil, Transmission Fluid, Gear Oil and other fluids

These outlined areas show where fluids have dripped off engines and transmission, even radiators and accumulated to the point that the pavement has been permanently stained.

It's also on roads and highways...

The oil stain line that runs down the middle of the road...

Gosh hard to believe I wrote the above article over 5 years ago.... just one of hundreds of car detailing articles here on this forum. By the way... there's a LOT more pictures and information about road film and your CAR PAINT in this article,

--> Road Film - If you drive your car in the rain your car has road film

Now that you're up to speed with what road film is and where it comes from, back to this new glass cleaner from Pinnacle!

The film you see highlighted by the light shining on the glass is road film - an oily film of dirty water sprayed onto your car.

Here you can see the film in an arc pattern from where the wipers don't reach...

And plenty of dead bugs and their guts...

>you need lots of towels<
    The real secret to cleaning glass is to have LOTS of clean glass towels.... if you DON'T have lots of glass towels and try to clean glass with only a FEW towels, what you end up doing is FIGHTING yourself because you end up cross-contaminating the glass you're trying to clean by wiping new glass with oily film and dead bugs already removed an on the towel.

Spray the glass cleaner onto the glass...

The art of capturing spray from a spray bottle when you're by yourself taking pictures....

Here you can see what I call a WET or HEAVY application of the glass cleaner on the windshield. If you read my articles on using cleaner/waxes (also called AIOs), you'll remember I recommend using these types of products, heavy or wet.

Instructions on the bottle say to wait for a minute.

Okay - it's been a minute.

Time to start wiping...

Now for the other side.... can't let Stephanie drive around with only one side of the windshield clean.

The art of capturing spray from a spray bottle when you're by yourself taking pictures....

Here's the OUTSIDE of the windshield after the first cleaning....

Yep... that's oily road film... and dirt and bug guts....

Now for a second cleaning to ensure ZERO STREAKS

Switching to a clean, dry glass towel...

Wiping....

Wiping....

And for comparison.... MUCH LESS oily road film on the second wiping towel than on the first wiping towel. That's a good sign, it means I probably know what I'm doing but it also shows that no matter how good you are at cleaning glass you NEED to do at least one secondary wipe.

Time to tackle the inside of the glass....

The film you see on the inside did NOT show up until after I cleaned the outside. That's a tip. Start on the outside and then move to the inside?

Why?

Because it's easier to clean the outside.

See the film? This is on the INSIDE of the windshield. Let's see if I can draw a smiley face into the film....

No problem... have to take a break here and go wash my finger, don't know what that film is but don't want it on my skin....

Spray glass cleaner onto glass...

Time to wipe.... everyone knows the old tip of wiping one direction on the outside and the opposite direction on the inside. But does anyone know which direction to wipe for each side?

(that's a question, answer correctly and I'll send you a free bottle of this glass cleaner to test out for yourself)

Oh just having fun cleaning glass with this picture - that's a square of glass cleaner drizzle on the inside of the windshield.

And this picture was taken after repeating the process to the entire inside of the windshield. I think you can clearly see the product works great!

Now that's a clear, clean window which also means this is now a SAFE car to drive!

Review
    This new glass cleaner works great. It works great on the outside to clean off oily road film and it works great on the inside to clean off oily vinyl fog. The real secret to getting great results when using this glass cleaner or any glass cleaner is to have on hand plenty of clean glass towels and I'll leave a link below to get your stack of glass towels so you can do the job right the first time.

On Autogeek.com

Pinnacle Advanced Glass Cleaner

Pinnacle Advanced Glass Cleaner 128 oz.

6 Pack Waffle Weave Microfiber Glass Towels

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: Pinnacle Advanced Glass Cleaner

***Bump***

The AG newsletter went out at Midnight last night and the store has updated so the links to the products are now LIVE!

This glass cleaner actually works really well. I, like most people don't really like cleaning glass, especially if the glass "needs" to be cleaned. The only thing that makes glass cleaning easy is a great glass cleaner and LOTS of clean, dry microfiber towels.

Also - I included a contest in the above post, first to answer correctly I'll send them a free bottle of this new glass cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

Inside up and down. Outside left to right

Post Thanks / Like

Went and reread your blackfire glass cleaner article..

On the interior you recommend up and down motions, while on the final wipe for exterior you recommend side to side. Of course this is so you can tell if there are any steaks which side of the glsss it’s on.

Does it matter as long as you do opposite from interior to exterior? I wouldn’t think so. As long as you always do the interior one way and the exterior the other. So your not second guessing yourself and possibly adding extra unnecessary steps.

Great review as always.

And while I was rereading and typing looks like someone best me too it..��

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by cummins03 View Post
    Inside up and down. Outside left to right
    Quote Originally Posted by JWallace View Post
    Went and reread your blackfire glass cleaner article..

On the interior you recommend up and down motions, while on the final wipe for exterior you recommend side to side. Of course this is so you can tell if there are any steaks which side of the glsss it’s on.

Does it matter as long as you do opposite from interior to exterior? I wouldn’t think so. As long as you always do the interior one way and the exterior the other. So your not second guessing yourself and possibly adding extra unnecessary steps.

Great review as always.

And while I was rereading and typing looks like someone best me too it..��

You are both correct.

To JWallace,

I appreciate you're doing your due diligence and re-reading one of my past reviews to make sure you answer correctly. As a result, I'll send you both a free bottle to test out.

Need both of you to send me your exact shipping address via a PM or e-mail

mike.phillips@Autogeek.net

Good job!

7. Likes mwoolfso, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I still answer the question and get a bottle to try out Mike?

9. Likes mwoolfso liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    ... The art of capturing spray from a spray bottle when you're by yourself taking pictures.... ...
    Mike - as always, thank you for your in depth and well documented review.

When you're taking photos solo, are you using an actual camera, or your phone? If you're taking photos on your iPhone, take a Live Photo. It records the 1.5 second before and after you hitting the capture button. When you click edit, you can scrub through and select the photo that's best in focus. Having 2 dogs and a 3 year old, it's an invaluable tool for getting usable pictures.

11. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a lot of competent glass cleaners. I mostly use Megs and Stoner. I also have CG, McKee's, Sonax and Wolfgang. I don't see much difference. They all work well and they all work well to the same degree.

The differentiation I see is having a large supply of clean, dedicated glass cleaning waffle weave towels. Using clean towels has more to do with success than the brand of competent glass cleaner.

BTW, the worst glass cleaner I have ever used is ammonia-based Windex. Streaks glass the same way that automatic car washes swirl paint. Can't get away from it. It works well as a mediocre degreaser but is totally incompetent as a glass cleaner.

13. Thanks RRC thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I see you use a waffle weave towel to clean glass. That’s my go to towel for glass cleaning. It doesn’t smear like some normal microfiber towels do and you don’t have to scrub as hard to remove bugs from glass. I don’t see much difference between glass cleaners. Blackfire is a good one, but the cost is a little high. My personal favorite is Nextzett Glass Cleaner, it’s cheap AND dilutable. It has a different smell (not bad) from other glass cleaners and is tint safe.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,
    I'm a newbie, but I thought you never spray the glass on the inside; that you should spray on the cloth so you don't spray the dash? I've never detailed, but I've been watching your videos and have signed up for your Memphis class. Got any extra free bottles?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast