autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: 3D ONE Hybrid Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish

Just ordered ONE my current main polishes are menz 400 and Meg's d300 so I'm gonna see if this will fit into the bunch

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A question on the most used working area you polish on. Since it seems that One does not dry out on the paint when polishing. Would it be a benefit to stretch out to a larger area you polish on?

I have understand it that the working area is often based on so the polish don't dry until you are done polishing it. Or is there another downside that could be when stretching out the working area? It could be the ergonomics of it also so you don't have to move during you polishing it. Is there something else?

Thought it could be a little more time saving to work on larger areas for a pro.

Nice to see it's growing on you the more you use it.

/Tony

Post Thanks / Like

So I try not to go to large because since the pad is spinning more on the panel it generates more heat and of course is collecting more polish residue and clear coat so essentially getting clogged up. If that's happening you are getting less cut so the larger area is less effective in the end.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

5. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    Awesome, Dan!

They're all nice products. You're very familiar with non-diminishing abrasives, so these are all up your alley. Although, they definitely have a different polishing feel than Meg's SMAT polishes. HD Polish+ is bubba proof and finishes very well. I don't have a ton of experience with Cut+, but the times I tried it, I liked it. Currently, My main focus with 3D polishes is ONE. I haven't used it a ton, but I'm liking it more an more. A little really goes a long way! I haven't experienced dust so far. It's give a real nice buffing feel. Good lubrication. Does not dry out. I really haven't put its cutting ability to the test, as I've only used it on soft black paint. It does leave an oily residue(like some Menzerna) upon wipe-off, so I'm going to try using less and see what happens. I am huge fan of non-diminshing abrasives, but I do not have one single Meg's polish in my arsenal(anymore). I find 3D polishes easier to work with.

Please let us know your thoughts!!!!!

FWIW, my current favorite all around polish is Sonax Perfect Finish!!!!!!
    Man, that helps a ton!

That was a fantastic synopsis!

I'll definitely chime in. My order should be in by next Saturday, when I have a Black 2010 BMW scheduled.

Yeah, I've been wanting to branch out. It was between 3D, Sonax and another angelic company.

One also came with a 16oz bottle of speed which is a nice product to use.

It was time to try something new.

And I hate hate hate dust. Anything that takes me further away from that mess is welcome!

7. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    A question on the most used working area you polish on. Since it seems that One does not dry out on the paint when polishing. Would it be a benefit to stretch out to a larger area you polish on?

I have understand it that the working area is often based on so the polish don't dry until you are done polishing it. Or is there another downside that could be when stretching out the working area? It could be the ergonomics of it also so you don't have to move during you polishing it. Is there something else?

Thought it could be a little more time saving to work on larger areas for a pro.

Nice to see it's growing on you the more you use it.

/Tony
    For me, I like using a Porter Cable 7424. The larger space works against correction because I'm losing the concentration of staying on a small area.

However, the benefit I might get from One is being able to leave the residue on the surface and continuing my nextvsectuon to polish. Then I can wipe off a larger section at a time. If tha y happens, it will really speed the process along.

9. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

another kind of stupid question, but wondering just the same as I wait for my order.

If I used one with an orange pad, would there be some residual leftover where I could polish off any remaining product with a white pad before applying an lsp? Would I need to polish with a white at all on a basic dd? Also wondering if maybe following an orange hd one application if I would benefit more from applying hd speed instead of a dedicated lsp?

if this is confusing, another way of putting this is that i want to work on my sister's black sentra. it's pretty trashed and i'm not doing a complete restore, but something nice. I'd prefer to keep it to 2 steps instead of 3 and interested in the best path forward. At this time I own hd speed, hd one, menz 400, menz 3500, menz powerlock, mk360, poorboys polish with sealant. And i'd prefer to keep it to what i own lol.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

I've never worked on a Nissan, but this is where a test spot will come into play. Try different combinations of products and pads.

If you want to use the ONE, try it with a white pad first and see how it does. You may avoid the hazing issues of a more aggresive combination if the paint is soft. You might find Speed or MK360 works just fine too with an orange or white pad. If the paint is soft you may not need to try 400 at all.

I only say this because I worked on my daughter's new to us, but long neglegted Honda and was able to polish the paint to near perfection using nothing but a finishing polish and a white pad because the paint is so soft.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

12. Thanks Belo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I've never worked on a Nissan, but this is where a test spot will come into play. Try different combinations of products and pads.

If you want to use the ONE, try it with a white pad first and see how it does. You may avoid the hazing issues of a more aggresive combination if the paint is soft. You might find Speed or MK360 works just fine too with an orange or white pad. If the paint is soft you may not need to try 400 at all.

I only say this because I worked on my daughter's new to us, but long neglegted Honda and was able to polish the paint to near perfection using nothing but a finishing polish and a white pad because the paint is so soft.
    OEM Nissan paint is some of the most enjoyable paint I’ve worked on. Not too soft, not too hard. Test spot, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    '03 Corvette Z06

14. Thanks Belo thanked for this post
    Likes minerigger liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    OEM Nissan paint is some of the most enjoyable paint I’ve worked on. Not too soft, not too hard. Test spot, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    Having owned lots if Nissans and currently having two, I agree 100%. Other than my Genesis Coupe I personally have owned nothing but Nissans my entire life. My wife's Sonata doesn't count
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

16. Likes WRAPT C5Z06 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I got very, very minimal dusting using it this weekend. It didn’t dry out, and it was maybe 85 in the garage, no humidity. What was most impressive was the ease of wipe off, which is a factor to me. I hate fighting with polish to remove. I used the dark purple cutting, and light purple polish pads from HD, a eurofiber, and a LC orange. All worked well. I was impressed, will keep using.

18. Likes dlc95, SWETM, JustJesus liked this post
Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast