autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: 3D ONE Hybrid Cutting Compound and Finishing Polish

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    I'll take constructive criticism and day of the week. I was just curious how it would finish on soft BLACK paint compared to my go to combo. I'll try it with a finishing pad. Not sure I would get the same cut as PF/yellow. If that was the case, I wouldn't bother with ONE, because PF is an awesome 1-step that I've already tested on this particular paint. S20 Black and PF can cut pretty darned good too with just changing the pad. Marketing is a very powerful tool. I'm just curious how far ONE has come as far as a "game changer", if that's even the case. Simply put, I'm almost positive PF can finish better than ONE with any pad, and IFFFF it can cut nearly the same, ONE is nothing ground breaking. These are just my INITIAL thoughts.
    I think in the other ONE thread started by the 3D employee, they mentioned the cut was suppsed to be similat to HD CUT+. If that's the case it might be too aggressive for soft paint regardless of the pad being used and possibly not a good comparison to your S20 Black or PF favorites. Like you, with the soft paint on my Japanese cars, I stick to the finishing polishes and won't go near a compound.

Since this product claims to be a compound/polish I wonder if it would be better suited to cars with harder paint. Based on your results and the comments in the other thread, I could see this poduct being a big help for owners of VW's, Audi's and some Chevy's who, like me, are always looking for a product to do a good one-step on rock hard paint.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

2. Likes dwaleke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

still wondering what LC pads you guys would recommend.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    Depends on the paint and what you want to achieve. That is why people always recomend doing a test spot. Even in LC's pad line the colors vary a bit, so it depends on which LC pad line you're using. In the their flat pads you could probably use orange, white, or blue. Thin Pro's could be orange, white, or black.

On a vehicle with known hard paint, I'd probably do an initial test with white and adjust from there.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

i use the ccs pads. i have yellow, orange, green, white, black (and old red which is now black lol). I guess my thought would be to start with white. Just wanted confirmation.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

here's some great info...

7. Likes PaulMys, dlc95 liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

According to this guy 3D One has the same cut and finish as HD Speed

YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Mike, the Mustang looks incredible! Looking forward to trying this out, couldn't pass up the HD Speed special offer.

10. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Which pad you use to buff out any car starts with two considerations.

1: What's your expectations for the end results. And keep in mind, not everyone expects 100% defect removal.

2: The results from your Test Spot.

Paint hardness and depth and quantity of paint defects are other considerations as is the tool you use and your technique but these are also covered under the umbrella of your Test Spot.

So what are you working on?

What is your goal?

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

Depends on the paint and what you want to achieve. That is why people always recomend doing a test spot.
    Yup.

i use the ccs pads. i have yellow, orange, green, white, black (and old red which is now black lol).

I guess my thought would be to start with white. Just wanted confirmation.
    I would say starting any Test Spot with a "foam polishing" pad is a good starting point for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post

Great review Mike, the Mustang looks incredible!
    Thanks! Sad to say, the Mustang had a fairly shoddy paint job, looks great from 5 to 10 feet away but there are underlying issues in the prep work. My good friend had to retrieve this car from another body shop for the owner and then fix some of the mechanical issues but he said they would not take the car on to re-do the body work and then re-paint. He said it would take too much work to do it right the second time. Even sadder is last time I drove by the shop where it was taken after I did the salvage buff, it was sitting outside. This means the owner had not come to pick it up.

This is where you learn not to care any longer....

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post

Looking forward to trying this out, couldn't pass up the HD Speed special offer.
    I was quite surprised at this incredible offer and anyone that gets in on it while it lasts will not be disappointed.

12. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I think in the other ONE thread started by the 3D employee, they mentioned the cut was suppsed to be similat to HD CUT+. If that's the case it might be too aggressive for soft paint regardless of the pad being used and possibly not a good comparison to your S20 Black or PF favorites. Like you, with the soft paint on my Japanese cars, I stick to the finishing polishes and won't go near a compound.

Since this product claims to be a compound/polish I wonder if it would be better suited to cars with harder paint. Based on your results and the comments in the other thread, I could see this poduct being a big help for owners of VW's, Audi's and some Chevy's who, like me, are always looking for a product to do a good one-step on rock hard paint.
    Very good analysis. I'm sold ONE is not geared for soft paint. Thing of it is, PF and S20 have noticeably more cut than your typical finishing polish, but easily finish just as good. That's why I'm saying, I'm not sure this product is ground breaking as they make it out to be. NOT saying it's a bad product. If it could finish haze free from hard to soft paint, THAT would be a game changer. ONE is probably very similar to Sonax Cut & Finish. I will still use ONE on medium to hard paint. It wipes off very easy, which is important to me.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Just in time for this weekend. I already have plenty of HD Speed in stock but I can always use another one

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

15. Likes Diner, dlc95 liked this post
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast