autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: BLACKFIRE SiO2 Spray Sealant review by Mike Phillips

After careful paint prep (wash, claybar, machine polish), I applied Blackfire SiO2 spray sealant to my Macan GTS. It looks great and I'm very happy with the result. I'm wondering how this type of application (a spray ceramic) will hold up compared to the traditional application methods (chamois sponge) for ceramic coatings. Has this stuff been around long enough for anyone to know?

It was very easy to apply and buff off, unlike the other ceramic coatings I've read about, which have somewhat intimidating application methods. I am always worried about possibly screwing up the application leaving a hard to remove uneven finish. One of these days i'll try one, as I'd like a finish that is good for a year or two, as opposed to 3-4 or even six months.

Anyway, my car's finish looks great and is smooth as can be! Makes me smile. Just wondering about durability. Anyone? Mike?
    Last edited by rchaas53; 05-01-2018 at 01:09 PM. Reason: clarification

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Silica is an awful carcinogen and the direct cause of silicosis. It's a lung fibrosis caused by the inhalation of dust containing silica.

Osha says it's a major hazard on construction sites and passed a law this year banning any type of drilling into concrete without special equipment to contain the silica dust. This is in ma.

I say this because I could clearly see dry powder coming off my pad when I was using Essence last weekend then using the brush on it.

I think it's only a matter of time before it's band from detailing to?
    Completely agree with this! Potentially very dangerous to your lung health.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post

Silica is an awful carcinogen and the direct cause of silicosis. It's a lung fibrosis caused by the inhalation of dust containing silica.

Osha says it's a major hazard on construction sites and passed a law this year banning any type of drilling into concrete without special equipment to contain the silica dust. This is in ma.

I say this because I could clearly see dry powder coming off my pad when I was using Essence last weekend then using the brush on it.

I think it's only a matter of time before it's band from detailing to?
    Just to note for those reading this into the future that might not know, Essence is a machine applied polish, thus the build up on a pad that would become a dry powder when brushed off the pad with a brush.

BLACKFIRE SiO2 is a spray-on liquid, that does NOT dust and therefore is completely different in application method and characteristics than Essence.

If you go back and look at my pictures you can see it's a liquid, that is sprayed onto a surface, spread around and then wiped-off. After you finish the car, wash the microfiber towels, don't chew on them.

While I'm all for safety, me thinks this is much to do about nothing. Use common sense using any product and if you're uber conserved, then simply don't use the product or wear some form of personal protection.

Quote Originally Posted by packfan View Post

Completely agree with this! Potentially very dangerous to your lung health.
    Maybe if you take the spray nozzle and spray this or any similar product up your nose.

Don't start scare mongering where it's not applicable.

4. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Likes KBsToy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Blackfire Si02 from the "Geek" arrived. Today I applied it to my Zaino'd minivan using a microfiber grout polishing sponge. Worked slick covering a large area with minimal product waste. I got mine from Home Depot.

BLACKFIRE SiO2 Spray Sealant review by Mike Phillips-img_7278-jpg

6. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike,

I am thinking of getting BF paint cleaner and BF sio2 spray sealant, as i gotten a sample of BF one step and i liked it so much.

I am thinking of:
    - quarterly (i.e. every 3 months) apply paint cleaner by hand
    - monthly apply sio2 spray sealant by hand

My questions are:
    - may i use the paint cleaner on glass and trim? By trim, i mean the black stuff found on window edges and wiper cowls. If the answer is no, would the paint cleaner stain the glass and trims white if i accidentally put some on them?
    - may i apply the sio2 spray sealant on the same glass and trims i was referring to?
    - when applying paint cleaner by hand, should i put some passion behind the pad? Or gently massaging it into the paint would work? And should i work it in until it dries?
    - since the paint cleaner has glaze on it, should i wait for it to haze before wiping it off?
    - after applying sio2 spray sealant, should i immediately wipe off? Or wait for it to haze?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the questions. BF is an expensive line and i would like to gather as much info as i can to enable me to arrive at a smart decision.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by John U View Post
    My Blackfire Si02 from the "Geek" arrived. Today I applied it to my Zaino'd minivan using a microfiber grout polishing sponge. Worked slick covering a large area with minimal product waste. I got mine from Home Depot.

BLACKFIRE SiO2 Spray Sealant review by Mike Phillips-img_7278-jpg
    I use the same type of sponge (MF covered) when applying a rain repellant on glass. Smooth even coverage. BLACKFIRE SiO2 Spray Sealant review by Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

Not a lot of users yet eh? I’m liking it.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by AKT View Post

Hi Mike,

I am thinking of getting BF paint cleaner and BF sio2 spray sealant, as i gotten a sample of BF one step and i liked it so much.

I am thinking of:
    - quarterly (i.e. every 3 months) apply paint cleaner by hand
    - monthly apply sio2 spray sealant by hand

My questions are:
    - may i use the paint cleaner on glass and trim? By trim, i mean the black stuff found on window edges and wiper cowls. If the answer is no, would the paint cleaner stain the glass and trims white if i accidentally put some on them?
    I don't use paint cleaners as I choose to use a fine cut polish instead. A fine cut polish will do EVERYTHING a paint cleaner will do plus remove fine paint defects. So for all the time, energy and work it takes to "apply and wipe off something", I might as well get the best bang for my time, energy and money.

But to answer your questions, I would not rub down any type of plastic, rubber or vinyl with any paint cleaner. It might work and it might stain. You can always test and see.

- may i apply the sio2 spray sealant on the same glass and trims i was referring to?
    Yes.

- when applying paint cleaner by hand, should i put some passion behind the pad? Or gently massaging it into the paint would work? And should i work it in until it dries?
    No passion or elbow grease. You must have read my article somewhere on putting some passion behind the pad.

How to use a hand applied abrasive polish or paint cleaner by hand

But NO - paint cleaners are non-abrasive and rubbing them hard will only mar the paint. Mar is the kind fluffy name for scratch. If you want to use a paint cleaner, here's an article I wrote YEARS ago on how to apply a paint cleaner following the directions on the label of the bottle. In most cases, I'm NOT a straight-line guy....

How to clay, clean and wax paint by hand with Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion and Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax

The benefits of a light paint cleaner, cleansing lotion or pre-wax cleaner

- since the paint cleaner has glaze on it, should i wait for it to haze before wiping it off?
    I forget what the BF PC says but a good rule of thumb is to read and follow the directions. With compounds and polishes you DON'T let them dry as there is no benefit. With paint cleaners? Read the directions and see what they say.

- after applying sio2 spray sealant, should i immediately wipe off? Or wait for it to haze?
    Simply wipe the thin film off. See my how-to steps in the first post that created this thread.

BLACKFIRE SiO2 Spray Sealant review by Mike Phillips

Lots of pictures too....

Thanks in advance.

Sorry for the questions. BF is an expensive line and i would like to gather as much info as i can to enable me to arrive at a smart decision.
    No problem.... you ask great questions that I am confident others will find helpful in the future. This thread will be read thousands of times and will be easily found via Google and simply by existing on this forum. None of these things can be said if this were posted to a Facebook group.

11. Thanks AKT thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM, AKT liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike! I got facebook but i ain’t active using it lol

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,
    What’s the shelf life of BF Si02? I’ve used so little for a lot of applications, that i’m thinking it might take 3 years or more to use up a bottle of it.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast