autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: FLEX PE14 Rotary Polisher by Mike Phillips

Just for reference, here's some pictures of the FLEX PE14 next to other full size rotary buffers. Years ago I used the terms

• Full size
    • Compact size

To differentiate the (at the time), new FLEX PE14 from the other rotary buffers available on Autogeek.com (as well as most online or brick-n-mortar stores).

Here's some pictures to show relative sizes...

The two Flex rotary buffers on the left are in the Compact category while the other 4 rotary buffers are in the Full Size category. Comparing the compacts with the full size rotary buffers can be done but it trends towards the comparing applies to oranges analogy as in person and in use you can tell right away when you switch from a full size to a compact or visa-versa.

The new DeWALT DWP849X is wider and more bulky like the other full size rotary buffers in these pictures.

You can that the Flex is more narrow from top to bottom...

I only has access to the new RUPES rotary polisher for about a day and a half and in that time I used it and the Mille to do a full-on, multi-step show car detail to a 1970 Chevelle, so I didn't get a picture of the RUPES rotary next to the FLEX PE14 BUT I did take a picture of the new FLEX tools (cordless), next to the new RUPES tools and because the FLEX PE14 Cordless Rotary Polisher is the same chassis from the back of the tool to the head of the tool, you can easily use these pictures for size comparison.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post

I love my PE4, of course I'm going to have to get the new Rupes and try it out. Then I'll decide which one I want to keep. The Rupes has some features I really like.
    I've only buffed out one car with the new RUPES Agile, (my name for their rotary polisher, see here ) so I'm not able to make a final judgment on which rotary I like best. I do like the larger overmolded head on the FLEX to grip though.

Quote Originally Posted by saturn2 View Post

The PE-14 to my eye the Flex looks smaller than the Rupes
    From my pictures above, I'd say the FLEX PE14 is a tick shorter in length but they are both about the same weight and are both compact in size.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin47 View Post

My issue with the PE-14 is it runs crazy hot and shuts off especially when using pads larger than 6”.
    That's not my experience. "Yes" I have had the FLEX PE14 turn itself off, (a SAFETY feature built into the FLEX PE14 to protect itself), but that's when I've been pushing hard for long periods of time which is not the norm for me and my guess most people.

Also, because I'm going to assume that many reading this thread have NOT pushed on rotary buffers hard enough and long enough to get the HOT - in the pictures below, ANY rotary buffer will get HOT if you push hard enough and long enough. In the picture below, while removing deep oxidation out of the side of the hull on this boat the BODY of the FULL SIZE DeWALT became so hot I could not touch it.

24' Pro-Line Boat - Extreme Marine Makeover - Oxidation Removal

This is how you lean into the buffer....

DeWALT 849X sans handle and grabbing the rubber overmold on the head of the unit and the pushing down hard...

The Rupes LH19E will run cool all day and never shut off on you as it won’t over heat.
    I'll need more time with the tool to come to this conclusion. I had the RUPES rotary stop on my twice while buffing out the 1970 Chevelle.

The Rupes is the nicer tool on horizontal panels, the Flex being shorter is nicer on vertical panels especially lower doors.
    Sorry.... I don't see that...

Once you get to lightweight and compact in size, these two characteristics are the same to me...

Everyone's mileage will vary...

Post Thanks / Like

Man I have been wanting to add this to my lineup but my old school Makita rotary is still rocking along. But it is a bit rough lol. Maybe time to grab a pe14
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    I 100% couldn’t agree with you more Mike! Exactly what you have written is how the PE-14 feels & handles . . . Sadly these beautiful machines do not work here in New Zealand . . . I’m off to sit in the corner & cry . . . Thanks guys.

Aaryn NZ.
    Is the electric outlet the problem in NZ?

Flex pe14 rotary polisher with 240v outlets has a range with pe14-1 pe14-2(as the US specs except 240v) pe14-3

Pe14-1 180mm backing plate 250-1350rpm and has a different gear to the pe14-2 and that makes the higher torque otherwise the exactly same body and motor and so on. The weight is just a little tick more but no big impact.
    Pe14-3 125mm backing plate 1100-3700rpm a higher rpm to be easier to step down in backing plate size 3" - 5" otherwise also the same motor and vr processor.

I wonder if Flex does those in 110v versions?

The Flex pe14-2 and the rupes agile are the ones I think of for now when it's time for rotary.

5. Likes Aaryn NZ, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

God I want my old rotary machine to DIE!

7. Likes Aaryn NZ, rangerbay liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hummm....with 4 boats coming up, I prolly need to get me one!

And if needed, can I finish out or remove holograms using rupes mk II and final polish?

Or can a rotary with capt one step polish be enough to get the job done?

Tom

Oh BTW---I do have your book over on my wish list!! Will get it once I place a another order.

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

9. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
    Hummm....with 4 boats coming up, I prolly need to get me one!

And if needed, can I finish out or remove holograms using rupes mk II and final polish?

Or can a rotary with capt one step polish be enough to get the job done?

Tom

Oh BTW---I do have your book over on my wish list!! Will get it once I place a another order.

Tom

I've shared my secrete recipe for success when it comes to doing high quality boat detailing fast and furious a number of times on this forum... would have to do some searching to find it. The version I share in the book is close except...

Lake Country discontinued the coarse blue Hybrid cutting pad. So now I show the RUPES coarse blue foam cutting pad (with the Captain's Compound). Then after this you can seal her up or take her to a higher level. I show it all in my classes.

At this last boat class I gave the students the real-deal, down and dirty get in and get it over and all at the same time getting show car or rather show boat results. And while I had the DeWALT, Makita and 3M rotary buffers out - everyone grabbed up the FLEX PE14s first.

Might have to hold another boat class each year. Problem is - getting the perfect boats for "teaching". Plenty of white boats out there... no visual impact. Need severly oxidized gel-coat boats so people can see the visual difference from their work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Is the electric outlet the problem in NZ?

It is. It has something to do with the way our electrical current is delivered.

I have three Flex 3401 polishers (230v) that I purchased through Autogeek & all work extremely hard & never miss a beat. The New Zealand distributor for Flex tools are as helpful as a pocket full of water & have shed no usefull light on the subject at all, & they also have no product knowledge on the 3401. Didn't even know what I was talking about.

The PE-14 is offered in Australia but not here in New Zealand and I'm told it's because we have a slightly different delivery of our power.

A real shame because te PE-14 is really beautiful machine to use. I have owned my fair share of rotary polishers & I have to say, nothing comes close to the Flex PE-14. I am excited for the cordless Flex PE-14, I have hopes that these will work down here.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

12. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post
    It is. It has something to do with the way our electrical current is delivered.

I have three Flex 3401 polishers (230v) that I purchased through Autogeek & all work extremely hard & never miss a beat. The New Zealand distributor for Flex tools are as helpful as a pocket full of water & have shed no usefull light on the subject at all, & they also have no product knowledge on the 3401. Didn't even know what I was talking about.

The PE-14 is offered in Australia but not here in New Zealand and I'm told it's because we have a slightly different delivery of our power.

A real shame because te PE-14 is really beautiful machine to use. I have owned my fair share of rotary polishers & I have to say, nothing comes close to the Flex PE-14. I am excited for the cordless Flex PE-14, I have hopes that these will work down here.

Aaryn NZ.
    I did a little google search and it seems like you have 230v 50hz. And the pe14-2 is capable of 210v-240v 50hz/60hz. So as long you get the right plugg or switch the cord or a plugg converter. I think you would be able to use the pe14-2 without any problem. And since you have the 3401vrg I really could not see a problem to use it. The 3401vrg has 900w and the pe14-2 has 1400w and as long as your outlet can handle 1400w it's good. A thing would be the warrenty when importing it maybe. Otherwise I think you would be able to use a pe14-2.

The cordless Flex seems to be a great tool also.

14. Thanks Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Justin at Final Inspection View Post

Man I have been wanting to add this to my lineup but my old school Makita rotary is still rocking along.

But it is a bit rough lol.

Maybe time to grab a pe14

Yeah it's tough when the tool you have is still working.

If you don't use the rotary very often then stick with your Makita as it's a great rotary buffer. If you use the rotary buffer a lot then go for it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast