autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: GYEON Q2 ONE Enthusiast Ceramic Coating by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by SirFrederick View Post
    I decided against doing that. I'm not going to polish it out after a year. I'll go the full life span of the coating. I suspect around 24 months and it will probably be close to it's end life by then. At that point I will probably do a full polish.
    I wouldn't go beyond 24 months. I coated all the cars in my family fleet a couple years ago. At the 18~24 month point you could tell they really need a refresh. The coating was still working, but they were loosing their shine and paint needed to be lightly corrected. I was still very happy, but a lot happens in 24 months to a daily driver in the mid west US. I really think that timeframe is the sweet spot. Well maintained coatings last longer, I wouldn't go any farther.

There is always the chance that if I like the CanCoat as a stand alone enough I may just stick with that, but the curiosity in me will probably want to try a coating still come spring. CanCoat will also probably be the go to product I use on my wife's vehicle staring next spring unless I don't like it for some reason.
    What type of vehicles are you working on?

Right now I've CanCoated my entire family fleet and it is serving me well. However, in the spring when it comes time to re-do all of my vehicles, I'm going to us a "regular" coating on our SUV and continue CanCoating my two small cars until I run out of product. CanCoat is a great product and easy to use, but I honestly hate detailing our SUV because of it's size and I find even applying fast products difficult and tiresome. This leads me back to a coating I can apply and forget while only having to keep the SUV clean. On small cars CanCoat is simple, easy and fast.

As for the coating on the SUV, I'll most likely be going with CQuartz UK v3. I used v2 and it was very easy and I was very happy with the results. From my little exposure to the vehicle since application it out performed McKee's 37 Paint Coating v1 by a pretty big margin.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the input for everyone. Thanks Budget for all the additional info you provided.

I'm going to try out a coating once spring arrives. I need to try one out just to ease my curiosity. In the meantime I am hoping to try out CanCoat. We have a warm break in the weather right now, so I'm hoping to be able to apply this next week. I have a new car on the way that is due to arrive any day now. Hopefully the weather will hold for a little longer.

As for coatings I've narrowed it down to 3:

1. Kamikaze Miyabi and Overcoat - This is the most expensive for me as I have to order from the US at Esoteric. With the exchange rate it works out to around $165 for the coating and $65 for the overcoat plus what ever sales tax is there. I just have to time it accordingly to when I'm down in the US so I can save on shipping.
    2. Gyeon Mohs Kit and CanCoat - I can get the Mohs Kit (includes Cure) locally for $117 plus additional 15% off and the CanCoat is $65 plus an additional 15% off. So $100 and $55 roughly plus tax.
    3. CQUK 3.0 30ml and Reload 500ml - I can get this locally for $73.99 plus an additional 15% off. Reload 500ml is $46.99 plus an additional 15% off. So $63 and $40 plus tax.

I'm eagerly waiting to here what Budget's thoughts are on the CQUK 3.0 application process and finished results. I think this is in his queue right now. Kamikaze seems like the best product in terms of ease of application and end results. It's obviously more money due to the exchange rate, but appears to be a very good product. If the CQUK 3.0 turns out to be pretty good then it may be the way to go at it's price point for me.
    Feel free to check out my thread where I used CQUK 3.0 on my own personal car. It will be updated soon.

The daily with CQUK 3.0 + Gliss V1

3. Thanks SirFrederick thanked for this post
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I wouldn't go beyond 24 months. I coated all the cars in my family fleet a couple years ago. At the 18~24 month point you could tell they really need a refresh. The coating was still working, but they were loosing their shine and paint needed to be lightly corrected. I was still very happy, but a lot happens in 24 months to a daily driver in the mid west US. I really think that timeframe is the sweet spot. Well maintained coatings last longer, I wouldn't go any farther.
    I totally agree. I wouldn't go over the 24 month mark. I would ideally want to do a polish and then apply a coating in spring, so I can enjoy the car over the summer. The 18 month mark would be right before going into the second winter, so there would be no point in doing a polish and coating at that time. I'd just get through the second winter and then do the process over.

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    What type of vehicles are you working on?

Right now I've CanCoated my entire family fleet and it is serving me well. However, in the spring when it comes time to re-do all of my vehicles, I'm going to us a "regular" coating on our SUV and continue CanCoating my two small cars until I run out of product. CanCoat is a great product and easy to use, but I honestly hate detailing our SUV because of it's size and I find even applying fast products difficult and tiresome. This leads me back to a coating I can apply and forget while only having to keep the SUV clean. On small cars CanCoat is simple, easy and fast.

As for the coating on the SUV, I'll most likely be going with CQuartz UK v3. I used v2 and it was very easy and I was very happy with the results. From my little exposure to the vehicle since application it out performed McKee's 37 Paint Coating v1 by a pretty big margin.
    We both have small sedans, so it's pretty easy to work on them.

Mike Phillips

Thanks for all the input for everyone. Thanks Budget for all the additional info you provided.

I'm going to try out a coating once spring arrives. I need to try one out just to ease my curiosity. In the meantime I am hoping to try out CanCoat. We have a warm break in the weather right now, so I'm hoping to be able to apply this next week. I have a new car on the way that is due to arrive any day now. Hopefully the weather will hold for a little longer.

As for coatings I've narrowed it down to 3:

1. Kamikaze Miyabi and Overcoat - This is the most expensive for me as I have to order from the US at Esoteric. With the exchange rate it works out to around $165 for the coating and $65 for the overcoat plus what ever sales tax is there. I just have to time it accordingly to when I'm down in the US so I can save on shipping.

2. Gyeon Mohs Kit and CanCoat - I can get the Mohs Kit (includes Cure) locally for $117 plus additional 15% off and the CanCoat is $65 plus an additional 15% off. So $100 and $55 roughly plus tax.

3. CQUK 3.0 30ml and Reload 500ml - I can get this locally for $73.99 plus an additional 15% off. Reload 500ml is $46.99 plus an additional 15% off. So $63 and $40 plus tax.

I'm eagerly waiting to here what Budget's thoughts are on the CQUK 3.0 application process and finished results. I think this is in his queue right now. Kamikaze seems like the best product in terms of ease of application and end results. It's obviously more money due to the exchange rate, but appears to be a very good product. If the CQUK 3.0 turns out to be pretty good then it may be the way to go at it's price point for me.

How did this work out? What did you end up using?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    How did this work out? What did you end up using?

I haven't coated my car yet. Winter is finally starting to subside here. In all my years here this was one of the most brutal winters I can remember. Anyways, I should be able to turn my exterior taps back on in a week or so. I will probably wait until mid to late April before I get to it as it's still going to be to cool until then. I couldn't even order anything as it would freeze during delivery.

My plan is to go with CQUK 3.0 at this point. I did use Gyeon CanCoat over the winter and was very impressed with it. It was very easy to use and is still holding up well on my car. I could just use that every 6 months but I'm itching to coat my car. CanCoat will probably go on my wife's car though.

7. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

My plan is to go with CQUK 3.0 at this point.

I did use Gyeon CanCoat over the winter and was very impressed with it. It was very easy to use and is still holding up well on my car. I could just use that every 6 months but I'm itching to coat my car. CanCoat will probably go on my wife's car though.

Any update to this?

Have you used the CanCoat on the wife's car?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This write-up makes me want to try a ceramic coating now! Very well done Mike.

Mike Phillips

***Bump***

Was getting some info from this how-to article. Bumping for anyone wanting to learn how to prep for and then install a ceramic coating.

TONS of how-to info on the first page of this thread.

> Click here for the first page of this thread <

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    One thing to consider is the application process for Gyeon One is not the most straight forward. Jeff from Gyeon has a how to article on detailed image ask a pro blog. Check it out before investing in One.

I can not tell you to get a coating but one thing I can say is to give it a try and determine if a coating is for you. Gyeon CanCoat is a great product and I would venture to say that it is Gyeon's best coating product. I have had it last 15 months paired with Gyeon Primer Polish here in Southern California. Actually a bit longer on the vertical surfaces compared to the horizontal surfaces. Sure we don't get any show here but it performed as good and at times better than Gyeon Syncro for me. CanCoat is a good option to start with.

CQUK 3.0 is a good option as mentioned. 4 months on my daily driver and it is doing well as is Cquartz TiO2. Other options to consider for 1 year coatings are Sonax CC36 and Optimum Gloss Coat. Sonax CC36 has more aggressive water behavior and performed better for me compared to Optimum Gloss Coat which struggled to make it a year.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the source written by Jeff Page not found | Ask a Pro Blog. I fail to understand what's not straight forward about this process.
    Concentration by volume:
    Q˛ CanCoat (35%)
    Q˛ One (55%)
    Q˛ PURE (80%)

Impressive longevity results, 12+ months just from CanCoat Page not found | Ask a Pro Blog
    I think I'm almost sold on Gyeon

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mpulsiv View Post

I think I'm almost sold on Gyeon

I get asked a LOT about coatings. I have a joke I share about how often I get asked about coatings. Need a video to tell the joke right.

But here's what I tell people when they ask me,

Which coating?

I say,

Go with an established brand you know, like and trust.

Keep it that simple.

13. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast