autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: GYEON Q2 ONE Enthusiast Ceramic Coating by Mike Phillips

Can you apply Gyeon Q2 One over Can Coat already applied to your car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Salagati View Post
    Can you apply Gyeon Q2 One over Can Coat already applied to your car.
    Ideally you would want it the other way around.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike
    My car is coated with Gyeon Can Coat. Will I have to strip the car completely to apply the Q2 One? Also I have a PPF film on sections of my car any thoughts on how to strip Can coat without hurting the PPF?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Salagati View Post
    Hey Mike
    My car is coated with Gyeon Can Coat. Will I have to strip the car completely to apply the Q2 One? Also I have a PPF film on sections of my car any thoughts on how to strip Can coat without hurting the PPF?
    I should have been more clear. You want the longest lasting product as the base. Just like a sealant topped with a wax. In this case Gyeon One first topped with CanCoat.

Gyeon One has a claimed longevity of 1 year and CanCoat estimated between 6-9 months.

You have a couple options

1. Let CanCoat do it's thing for a few months and when it is time for a reapplication proceed to polish and use One topped with CanCoat

2. Polish off the current layer of CanCoat and then proceed to use One topped with CanCoat.

5. Likes Stradbash liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As mentioned, apply Gyeon One to bare paint.

Did a Lunar Silver 2018 Honda HR-V with Gyeon One, topped with Gyeon CanCoat, applied 02/09/2018. It's holding up quite well, water beads and rolls nicely off paint in the rain. Owner mentioned she does wash car each week...with Dawn or Joy dish washing soap (hey, I can't control what people do once I'm done) which seems to have had no effect on coating(s). It's a nice combo. In NE Ohio so vehicle did see 50 mile daily commutes in pretty nasty winter conditions from February thru April this year.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've contemplated trying out a coating and stumbled onto this product review. The idea of a 1 year coating appeals to me. I have some questions on maintenance and whether a coating is the way to go. I wash my car 1 to 2 times a week from the mid April to early October months. I've used various waxes and sealants and every couple weeks I'll usually use a drying aid or topper product. Bead Maker was something I used a lot this year after washes or as a drying aid. I like to do a polish each spring just to keep the paint looking really sharp. The winter months are tough though. Usually once we get to December it's into the -25*C and colder. This usually lasts until mid Feb. On average it's usually -30*C during these months and hit's -40*C often. Heck we've hit -50*C the last 3 of 4 winters. It's basically impossible to clean your car when it gets this cold. The self serve car washes will not usually stay open once we get to -25*C and colder. Unless you happen to have a heated garage with a drain you are s*** out of luck. During these times you can go through extended periods without being able to wash your car. Could this be problematic with coatings and water spot issues?

Ideally I would want to apply the coating in Spring (late april or early may). When I get to around the mid September time I would want to boost the coating before winter. I know I can use a product like reload or can coat, but I'm unsure of what kind of paint prep I can do about 5 to 6 months into the coatings life? From what I've read I can do chemical decontamination, so iron and tar if needed. No claying though.

How can you tell when a coating has worn off? Will a product like Gyeon One be pretty much done after a year? Will doing a light polish in spring a year later be enough to remove any left over coating if there is any or will a compound and polish be required?

Is it even worth it to go the coating route or am I better off just using a product like gyeon can coat or my sealant of choice in the spring and fall every year?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by SirFrederick View Post
    I've contemplated trying out a coating and stumbled onto this product review. The idea of a 1 year coating appeals to me. I have some questions on maintenance and whether a coating is the way to go. I wash my car 1 to 2 times a week from the mid April to early October months. I've used various waxes and sealants and every couple weeks I'll usually use a drying aid or topper product. Bead Maker was something I used a lot this year after washes or as a drying aid. I like to do a polish each spring just to keep the paint looking really sharp. The winter months are tough though. Usually once we get to December it's into the -25*C and colder. This usually lasts until mid Feb. On average it's usually -30*C during these months and hit's -40*C often. Heck we've hit -50*C the last 3 of 4 winters. It's basically impossible to clean your car when it gets this cold. The self serve car washes will not usually stay open once we get to -25*C and colder. Unless you happen to have a heated garage with a drain you are s*** out of luck. During these times you can go through extended periods without being able to wash your car. Could this be problematic with coatings and water spot issues?

Ideally I would want to apply the coating in Spring (late april or early may). When I get to around the mid September time I would want to boost the coating before winter. I know I can use a product like reload or can coat, but I'm unsure of what kind of paint prep I can do about 5 to 6 months into the coatings life? From what I've read I can do chemical decontamination, so iron and tar if needed. No claying though.

How can you tell when a coating has worn off? Will a product like Gyeon One be pretty much done after a year? Will doing a light polish in spring a year later be enough to remove any left over coating if there is any or will a compound and polish be required?

Is it even worth it to go the coating route or am I better off just using a product like gyeon can coat or my sealant of choice in the spring and fall every year?

Most people use the visual indicator of water beading to determine if the coating is still present or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SirFrederick View Post

I would maybe not use Gyeon One in your environment. For the same price as One you can get Carpro CQUK 3.0. CQUK is developed for a harsher winter environment. Not maybe your extreme winter LOL. But I think that CQUK 3.0 would easy last the year you are looking for. And the longer a coating is on the car the easier it will be polished off when it comes to reapply. You can get lucky that it will last 2 years if you apply 2 layers of it. Maybe a booster is needed to last the second winter with something like Gyeon CanCoat. One more product that comes to mind is Polish Angel Viking Coat. It's developed also to last in a harsher winter environment. A little pricey, but you get 50ml and will get you to coat 2 medium sized cars with 2 layers. And it's as easy at it gets to apply Viking Coat. It's like applying a sealant and you can apply it with a polisher too.

Polish Angel Viking Coat

That is some crazy temperature you have where you live.

/Tony

/

10. Likes Loach liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Most people use the visual indicator of water beading to determine if the coating is still present or not.

Yes I guess that question probably sounded dumb, but I just wasn't sure if simply losing beading properties meant that a ceramic coating has completely deteriorated. I guess if I were to do a chemical decontamination and the beading came back to life then the coating is probably still present and it was just the road grime and traffic film that was preventing the beading.

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    I would maybe not use Gyeon One in your environment. For the same price as One you can get Carpro CQUK 3.0. CQUK is developed for a harsher winter environment. Not maybe your extreme winter LOL. But I think that CQUK 3.0 would easy last the year you are looking for. And the longer a coating is on the car the easier it will be polished off when it comes to reapply. You can get lucky that it will last 2 years if you apply 2 layers of it. Maybe a booster is needed to last the second winter with something like Gyeon CanCoat. One more product that comes to mind is Polish Angel Viking Coat. It's developed also to last in a harsher winter environment. A little pricey, but you get 50ml and will get you to coat 2 medium sized cars with 2 layers. And it's as easy at it gets to apply Viking Coat. It's like applying a sealant and you can apply it with a polisher too.

Polish Angel Viking Coat

That is some crazy temperature you have where you live.

/Tony

/
    I considered CQUK 3.0, but I think I prefer to keep the paint looking as best as possible vs having longer durability of a product. I'm fine with a coating only lasting a year as I want to do a polish every spring and therefore would have to reapply a fresh coating anyways. I like to use forced air to dry my car so the hydrophobicity of a coating is very appealing to me. That and making the weekly washes a little easier. When I stumbled onto Mike's article about a one year coating it peeked my interest. I've read very good things about cancoat as a stand alone product too. It seems as though it provides the same characteristics of a coating but with shorter longevity. I guess I'm just trying to decide if it's worth going the coating route vs using a product like cancoat twice a year.

Our winters are pretty crazy in Canada depending on the province you live in. Although being in Sweden, yours must be pretty much the same I would think. Fingers crossed though as it's been a very mild winter for us so far.

12. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah CanCoat would work if applyied spring and fall. It's the winter months that could get it fail in the end. What you can do is to use Gyeon Primer as a polish and apply CanCoat on top of that. And if you are willing to test the coating One and apply that in the spring. You could top it with CanCoat in the fall after a chemical decon. CanCoat is a little more friendly to apply even without a polish first. If you want the looks I would consider Polish Angel Viking Coat. But I would think you will be satisfied with either of the named coatings. And also the water behavior and the ease of washing you get with them too. Then how well the looks and the behavior is until they wears off. It's what Mike Phillips says it comes down how you touch your paint when you maintain the car.

Yeah in the northern Sweden we have a simualar weather as you. And I live in south of Sweden. There we have from 0C to -10C and if it's a colder year down to -20C. The PA Viking Coat was developed in the northern Sweden and Norway IIRC. So a very like weather as you have. And it's not wrong in haveing a 2 year coating on for a year and polishing it off and reapply. It would mean a better protection if any. And the coatings behavior deminishing over time. So some coatings even if 2 years you may want to reapply sooner. To have a great look and a high function on them. That could be a problem with the 1 year ones. That in harsher environment and you drive alot. They can be failing sooner than the 1 year claim and that's the same with the 2 years also. It's not an easy choice to do. And sometimes we get set on a product to test out. And that is not any wrong in that.

14. Thanks SirFrederick thanked for this post
    Likes Loach liked this post
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast