autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: GYEON Q2 ONE Enthusiast Ceramic Coating by Mike Phillips

As always FANTASTIC write up! I dig coatings! That being said I still use the OLD Fashioned Sealant and Wax...I guess I am just an OLD DUDE! I do coat my friends rides as they don't really take care of their rides like I take care of mine.

So overall there is a market for Coatings, Sealants and Waxes.

Keep on Rocking!

BTW, I use Gyeon CanCoat and looks like I will be using the new Gyeon Q2 ONE.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Great review as always Mike, I looked up the kit on the AG website, comes with something called "Cure", looks like it may be a spray on product? Is that used after you've applied the coating to help it "cure" to the paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyCrazi View Post
    Great review as always Mike, I looked up the kit on the AG website, comes with something called "Cure", looks like it may be a spray on product? Is that used after you've applied the coating to help it "cure" to the paint?
    Cure is a maintenance silica spray sealant used to maintain the coating. Think of it like a spray wax for a coating. Stated durability on the bottle is up to 6 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    So after one year goes by for a daily driver, this car would benefit from a light polishing and re-application of a coating to restore that just-coated-look.

So in my mind, coatings that last longer than a year are great but for anyone that has the ability to re-polish their car, then a one year coating is more than enough...
    I'm more of an optimist, or less OCD-ish, regarding appearance. While I have no practical use for a coating beyond 2 years, I think (hope) that's gonna be about the tipping point where my OCD-ness regarding daily driver appearance exceeds any protection that *may* be left in a given coatings lifespan.

It's a harsh world out there for a daily driver, harsh enough that no coating will offer 'appearance protection' beyond 15-20k miles, tops. The marring, small blemishes, scratches and swirls will eventually build to the point of needing attention, so hello polishing, goodbye coating...time to correct and reapply.

A 7 year, eleventy-thousandH coating is not something I need (or frankly believe is possible anyway).

Sometimes I think the best (and maybe easiset) route is Gyeon Can Coat longevity, polish as needed. But I'm not to that point yet...coatings are just too fun to play with right now, watching them as they degrade in real world use being part of that fun.

Entertainment is where ya find it....

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post

Great write up and you write so we understand it.
    Thank you. In my opinion, good writing is truly a craft and the only way to become good at it is to do it a lot. I know when I first started out my writing was horrible, but that didn't stop me from pushing forward.

Many write as you are an experienced user.
    Probably not intentional, just not thinking of the broad audience their words will reach.

Each year at SEMA I'm always surprised by how many people I meet that tell me they've been reading my articles since I started.

And accually it's the companys who creates them and their descriptions left out many things. As when you buy a coating kit. They don't write that you need more applicator towels and wipe of towels than you get. You would think 4 applicator towels and a wipe of towel is enough. But when you read about experienced user apply the coating they use alot of towels.
    Yeah... sometimes the people doing the writing have never done the thing they are writing about. That's kind of normal for most businesses.

I think this is one of the things that separates my how-to books from most other books as most other books are written by writers, not detailers. I actually do the things I write about. If fact, some have argued that I shouldn't detail cars, that I'm past that. My response,

A: Detailing cars is my passion and it keeps my writing fresh.

B: Detailing cars is leading by example. A good leader never asks others to do what they themselves are unwilling to do.

Then there's the entire walk the talk saying...

Is the towels enough to apply a coating that follow the coating kit in your opinion?

Thanks for the detailed write up!

Tony
    I used 7 Bald Wipes for the stripping and the final buff. I do NOT believe I could have done a proper job with less.

This doesn't include the Gold Plus Jr. 16" x 16" towels I used to wipe off the compound residues.

Great questions... thank you for asking...

6. Thanks SWETM thanked for this post
    Likes mc2hill, SWETM, RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Cure is a maintenance silica spray sealant used to maintain the coating. Think of it like a spray wax for a coating. Stated durability on the bottle is up to 6 weeks.
    Thanks Guz!!

8. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review Mike! I am thinking of making the jump from wax/sealants to a coating for my soon-to-be purchased new truck. Question though, how long can you store the product once you open it? I was thinking of getting the 50ml bottle if I can keep it around so I can reapply every year.

10. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rsarnold1s View Post
    Great review Mike! I am thinking of making the jump from wax/sealants to a coating for my soon-to-be purchased new truck. Question though, how long can you store the product once you open it? I was thinking of getting the 50ml bottle if I can keep it around so I can reapply every year.
    It varies by product but generally once coating container is open, it's useful life is measured in months, sometimes weeks. I believe McKees can go longer but Gyeon is generally thought of to be 12 months shelf life, 6 months if opened.

Regarding Mohs in particular: Post Gyeon Mohs questions

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    It varies by product but generally once coating container is open, it's useful life is measured in months, sometimes weeks. I believe McKees can go longer but Gyeon is generally thought of to be 12 months shelf life, 6 months if opened.

Regarding Mohs in particular: Post Gyeon Mohs questions
    Somewhere around here I think Nick@McKee's mentioned the coating would last almost indefinitely. However, that was not my experience.

I have a bottle of the original formula coating which hit the one year mark this Fall. When I used it at that time I noticed the coating performed very differently. It still sprayed just fine, but it flashed MUCH faster and didn't spread easily like in the past. Looking at the vehicle I used it on in the rain today, I'm not sure it's performing quite as well either. I only touch the bottles every six months, so I'm not sure at what point it started to go bad. I do know at the 6~7 month point it was still very good. If I was to do it again, I'd try to use up the bottle before it got to the one year point.

Don't get me wrong, I like the coating. I just feel it will expire in an opened bottle just like any of the others, just a lot slower.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

13. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Great review Mike!
    Thank you sir.

I am thinking of making the jump from wax/sealants to a coating for my soon-to-be purchased new truck.
    I'd say for most people, applying a ceramic paint coating to a brand new vehicle is a good way to go. That said, don't think that a coating is an invisible force field, you must still wash the car carefully and that means besides buying a coating, make sure you have all the right equipment to carefully wash and dry your coated truck.

For example, spend a few bucks and get 1 or 2 Werner Work Platforms. 2 are best for SUVs so you don't have to pick and move the platform each time you move to the other side of the car.

Work Stands Save Time
    Werner Aluminum Work Stands are necessary anytime you're washing tall vehicles like SUVs. It's faster to have two one on each side instead of moving a single stand back and forth. Again, doing profitable production work is about saving time not wasting time.

The above is from my article here,

High quality production detailing by Mike Phillips

And then get all the tools you'll need to wash your truck carefully. Check out my article here,

How to wash a coated car - The Gentle Approach for Washing a Car by Mike Phillips

Also - if your budget allows, in my opinion, one of the best investments you can make if you're going to be the "Car Washer in Chief" is to get a Grit Guard Universal Detailing Cart like you see in this picture,

Grit Guard Universal Detailing Cart

It holds the bucket at waist height so you don't have to bend over every time you need to use your wash mitt. It also holds all your car washing tools and you can roll it around the car as you work around the car.

I have a full write-up coming for this cart in the near future.

The above white Mercedes-Benz picture taken from this article,

Review: GTechniq W6 Iron and General Fallout Remover & W4 Citrus Foam - Mike Phillips

Question though, how long can you store the product once you open it?

I was thinking of getting the 50ml bottle if I can keep it around so I can reapply every year.

Two comments...

I'm a fan of applying a coating once a year instead of trying to get 2, 3, 4 and so on years out of a single coating application. Mostly because if a car/truck/suv is a DAILY DRIVER the paint IS going to get a film of dirt on it called road film. (plus other contamination).

This means if you want to re-coat your vehicle you are going to want to do at least one machine polishing step to the paint and then chemically strip the paint. Just keep that in mind. Thus, stick with the 30 ml and leave the 50 ml to pro detailers going through their liquids as a normal practice.

15. Thanks habs33, RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Likes habs33 liked this post
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast