autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: SONAX CC36 Ceramic Coating - LC HDO Foam Pads - Makita PO5000C - Supercharged Dodge Yellow Jacket

Quote Originally Posted by Klasse Act View Post

I was going to go with this paint coating but it wasn't available around Christmas when I took advantage of the sales, so I went elsewhere. I really like Sonax products based on other experiences so I knew the paint coating would be a good one.

Oh well, maybe next time

Hang tight... a new car project where I'm using this coating...

Should have pictures of the first part of the car up tomorrow.

The title will have to do with the,

AOPP

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: SONAX CC36 Ceramic Coating - LC HDO Foam Pads - Makita PO5000C - Supercharged Dodge Yellow Jacket

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

It's a shame the vehicle is getting prepped for a sale, I'd love to read how the coating holds up over time. I think I read elsewhere here at AG that CC36 needs to be "boosted" by PNS roughly every six months to hit max durability, but I'd love to see how it would stand up on its own.
    I got you covered. I have it on my daily driver. It's coming up on 1 month since I applied it and it's pretty impressive when it comes to water behavior. I am putting my review down on paper so to speak and will get the review up as soon as I can and I go through the videos I took to see if they are any good. I'm hoping to have the review up by this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I got you covered. I have it on my daily driver. It's coming up on 1 month since I applied it and it's pretty impressive when it comes to water behavior. I am putting my review down on paper so to speak and will get the review up as soon as I can and I go through the videos I took to see if they are any good. I'm hoping to have the review up by this weekend.
    Looking forward to your observations!

Every product seems to have slightly different water behavior, but when I'm looking to invest the time/money to do a coating, I'm interested to see how long it maintains that behavior and how much effort is needed to keep it that way. Longevity and ease of maintenance via consistent washing and the occasional wipe-down score high points when I'm looking at my next coating "adventure".
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Nice work.

You mentioned you might like other Lake Country pads better with the Makita PO5000C. Their new Force pads have become my go to pads - with the exception of the Grey pad which I've found too hard. I did find that it could be softened up by getting it wet, spinning it out on the rotary then leaving it in the sun... Too much work, just went back to the orange.

I know you try to showcase machines, letting people see what each machine can do and staying out of the food fight that accompanies any picking sides, so let me do it. The Makita 5000 for the win. You don't need to switch machines to get into tight areas, the action works all the way to the edge so there's little to no taping off adjacent panels, because the pad moves the same direction all the time the compounds don't slurry around between the pad and the paint and you need less material to get the same amount of work done.

It won't cut as fast as a rotary but it will kill a swirl before said swirl hits the ground and leave as good a finish as anything in less time.

Do any of the ceramic coating leave a car feeling as slick as say, Menzerna Power Lock plus?

All the best,
    RSW

PS, still shaking my head over the direction of spin on that otherwise great machine.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by RSW View Post

Mike,

Nice work.
    Thank you. Going out today to finish the car.

I know you try to showcase machines, letting people see what each machine can do and staying out of the food fight that accompanies any picking sides, so let me do it.

The Makita 5000 for the win.

You don't need to switch machines to get into tight areas, the action works all the way to the edge so there's little to no taping off adjacent panels, because the pad moves the same direction all the time the compounds don't slurry around between the pad and the paint and you need less material to get the same amount of work done.

It won't cut as fast as a rotary but it will kill a swirl before said swirl hits the ground and leave as good a finish as anything in less time.

And to your point about showcasing machines and letting everyone else make up their own mind, check out the second sentence in this post by my good friend Jeff Bell aka GSKR

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ml#post1513392

He's as good with a rotary buffer as anyone I've ever met. He's good with any tool. But he purchased the Makita PO5000C and after using it returned it.

It just goes to show...

Different strokes for different folks...

There's nothing wrong with not like a tool just like there's nothing wrong with liking a tool. We're all different. No matter how many time's I've told my dad Chevy is the way to go... he still buys Fords?

The even BIGGER PICTURE that I like to remind everyone about is this,

The fact that we're all hanging out on a car detailing discussion forum means we all have more in common than differences

Even if we vary in the tools, pads and products we choose to use...

Do any of the ceramic coating leave a car feeling as slick as say, Menzerna Power Lock plus?

All the best,
    RSW

I don't have a definitive list of ceramic coatings that leave the paint feeling slippery and ceramic coatings that leave paint feeling rubbery but I know that the one I use on the wife's MB leaves the paint feeling slippery and that is one of the reasons I use it and stay with it.

I have polished and stripped the paint on her car and applied other coatings but then removed them and went back to PBL because I prefer the paint on my cars to feel slippery. Neither types are good or bad, it's just personal preference.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

You and I occupy different places in this space. I appreciate your position as what I would call a fair representative of all the machines, as I said, showcasing each machine in the best possible way. That's important because people who read this board use all those different tools and your demonstrations make all their jobs easier. That's your job here and so, again, nice work.

When I say the Makita FTW, it's just what works for me. The combination of the rotary and PO5000 lets me get work done faster than any other method. Speed on the big things matters to me because it leaves me more time for refining when that's called for. Speed isn't just speed for speed's sake, it's about getting more accomplished and more accomplished should mean higher quality and better value for money.

I bet Jeff would still have the Makita if it spun the same direction as the rotary he's spent all those years using. All that muscle memory would have made the Makita disappear in his hands.

RSW

Post Thanks / Like

Mike would you say the new makita po5000c has more cutting power then the Flex XC 3401

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

Mike Phillips

Mike,

You and I occupy different places in this space. I appreciate your position as what I would call a fair representative of all the machines, as I said, showcasing each machine in the best possible way. That's important because people who read this board use all those different tools and your demonstrations make all their jobs easier. That's your job here and so, again, nice work.
    Thank you, I try my best to be fair and balanced plus honest.

When I say the Makita FTW, it's just what works for me.
    I believe the best tool is the tool you like and use and for each of us, this can and will be different.

The combination of the rotary and PO5000 lets me get work done faster than any other method. Speed on the big things matters to me because it leaves me more time for refining when that's called for. Speed isn't just speed for speed's sake, it's about getting more accomplished and more accomplished should mean higher quality and better value for money.
    I completely agree. Most my friends that know my detailing style know I'm fast and furious, I like to get and get the job done then stick a fork in it and get it out the door.

I bet Jeff would still have the Makita if it spun the same direction as the rotary he's spent all those years using. All that muscle memory would have made the Makita disappear in his hands.

RSW
    I agree.

For some people, the direction of pad rotation is the deal maker, not the deal breaker. For me? I don't really care which way the pad rotates, it's s non issue, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by asap2stacks View Post

Mike would you say the new makita po5000c has more cutting power then the Flex XC 3401
    No.

In my classes and in my writing I always say,

"The little things are the big things" -Mike Phillips

And while the difference between a 5mm orbit stroke length and an 8mm orbit stroke length may be a "little thing" now after using the Makita PO5000C, the RUPES Mille, (both of these tools are 5mm orbit stroke length) and the FLEX 3401, with it's 8mm orbit stroke length, to be the fastest for correction work with out inflicting holograms like a rotary buffer.

But that's just me...

I do believe a lot of people will prefer the Makita PO5000C and the RUPES Mille, (bot 5mm orbit stroke length), exactly because the smaller orbit stroke length results in a smoother buffing experience overall.

I don't care about a smoother buffing experience, I care about speed and effectiveness.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

I don't care about a smoother buffing experience, I care about speed and effectiveness.

You REALLY don't care about using the tool that has the smoothest buffing experience? Not even a little?lol

I know I reach for rotary and lambswool (not because it cuts more than a long-throw and microfiber) but because it's just SO much smoother and easier on me.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post

You REALLY don't care about using the tool that has the smoothest buffing experience?

Not even a little?

lol
    Nope, don't really care. What I want is the fastest tools that offers the more effective correction while maintaining the highest quality.

Quote Originally Posted by mwoywod View Post

I know I reach for rotary and lambswool (not because it cuts more than a long-throw and microfiber) but because it's just SO much smoother and easier on me.
    And it's all about what works best for you.

11. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast