autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Review: GTechniq C6 Matte Dash AB Antibacterial by Mike Phillips

Review: GTechniq C6 Matte Dash AB Antibacterial by Mike Phillips

GTechniq C6 Matte Dash AB Antibacterial

First all the technical stuff...

From the GTechniq website

C6 Matte Dash is specifically designed to protect dashboard and door card materials including leather, vinyl, plastics and rubberized finishes.

It adds abrasion resistance, dirt, water, static and UV repellency to treated surfaces. It will not affect the gloss of your car’s trim and leaves a natural feel.

With added BioCote® antimicrobial technology, treated surfaces will kill 99.9% of bacteria.

Warning: It should not be used on suede, nubuck or any other fibrous finishes

Directions for use

SHAKE WELL BEFORE USE

• Pre-clean areas to be coated with a Gtechniq MF1 Microfiber Cloth and if required I2 Tri-Clean

• Apply using circular movements with a clean MF1

• Buff residue away immediately after application with another clean MF1

• For optimum results apply two coats of C6 Matte Dash allowing 24 hours between applications

• For optimum protection reapply C6 every 6 months

• C6 Matte Dash has a shelf life of 2 years from purchase, for best result, use within 1 year of opening.

Now for the review...

The name on the label implies it's for your car's dash but het reality is it's for any of these surfaces...

1. Leather
    2. Vinyl
    3. Plastic
    4. Rubber

This means it's for just about any surface or component on the inside of your car's interior EXCEPT for what GTechniq calls fibrous finishes and then gives examples of,

• Suede
    • Nubuck - Which is by definition top-grain cattle leather that has been sanded or buffed on the grain side, or outside, to give a slight nap of short protein fibers, producing a velvet-like surface.

My guess is when they call out Suede and Nubuck and then include the catch-all term fibrous finishes they also mean alcantara or any soft, fuzzy interior surface.

So stick with HARD SURFACES and you'll be okay.

What is it?
    It's a protectant for the above surfaces like you think of a conventional interior dressing EXCEPT it's not oily or wet after application like most vinyl dressings and vinyl protectants. It adds abrasion resistance which can help against scuffs and marring, which can be important just because I know from driving the wife's Mercedes-Benz SL 500 around that if I'm not careful I can cause a scuff or mar a surface and if I do I catch HELL for it. (She's picky about the neatness of her car both inside and outside. Me? I have a Vice-Grip pliers clamped to my dash).

It does NOT change the appearance of treated surfaces to make them shiny or wet looking. If you like that deep dark shine on a black vinyl dash you won't get that from this product. It also doesn't leave the surface feeling tacky or oily because it dries to the touch. It's invisible during and after application so don't expect to see a dramatic before and after appearance after application.

It also includes BioCote® antimicrobial technology to kill 99.9% of bacteria on the surface. This can be important if you're a germ-a-phobic. Normally the dash isn't touched by you and your passengers while driving around in your car but you and your passengers do probably TOUCH things like the electronics on the dash, air conditioning adjustments, vents, electric window switches, etc. and this product can be applied to all of these surfaces to protect them and kill germs and bacteria. If you have grade school age kids then you know how easy germs are passed around when they are in school. You know, they go to school then come home and share all the germs they gathered all day long by touching things all the other kids touched and at some point you and the entire family gets sick. (Been there and done that twice, just a part of life).

Fragrance?
    Could just be me but I couldn't smell anything.

Skill level required?
    No skill required at all, just spray, work over the surface and wipe off any excess. The Gtechniq website states to apply in a circular motion but I'm not sure if there's any downside to not using a circular motion or any upside. I'm not sure how a person would use a circular motion to apply the product to say the air conditioning vents on the dash? So basically, apply, spread and wipe.

Cost?

Size: 100ml spray bottle

Plus - it's made by GTechniq, what more do you need to know?

Because it doesn't change the appearance of the surface it's kind of hard to show amazing before and after pictures but here's a few I took applying this product to the dash of a brand spanking new Mercedes-Benz S 550

Step 1: Mist product onto surface to be treated

Comment: Anytime I'm using hi-tech products that kill stuff I like to wear gloves. Wearing a respirator mask might also be a good idea?

Step 2: Spread product over surface and in the case of a Mercedes-Benz dash, work the product not just over the surface but into the textured grain of the MB Tex which is Mercedes-Benz fancy talk for vinyl.

Optional: To avoid overspray onto surfaces you don't want product on then mist some product onto a clean, microfiber cloth and then apply to the surface to be treated.

The 3 P's = Perfect Product Placement
    By misting the product onto a clean microfiber towel INSTEAD of misting the product onto the dash I get perfect product placement and avoid getting overspray product onto the inside of the glass and we all know what a paint the inside of the front windshield is to clean.

Yeah I forgot to take a beauty shot of the dash when I was done but when Tom returns with his S 550 or I seen him at one of the local car shows I'll take a beauty shot of the dash and insert it into this thread. For now you just have to take my word for it that the brand new dash looked great when the car arrived and it looked great when it left only it left protected and with all the bacteria killed and dead.

On Autogeek.com

GTechniq C6 Matte Dash

Mike Phillips

Re: Review: GTechniq C6 Matte Dash AB Antibacterial by Mike Phillips

***Update***

Now available on the Autogeek Store

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the outside of that MB looked good. Those vents and the leather (vinyl) surrounding them is gorgeous. And germ free

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Mike. I've been using this lately and it's a nice product. Leaves a nice finish and lasts a long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Not tried the AB version but C6 has been my favourite interior dressing for many years

Post Thanks / Like

I am big fan of Gtechniq products for some time now but have some problems with C6.
    So it seems it leaves white marks over my door black vinyl panels after rain comes in contact with them upon opening/closing car doors.
    There is no white marks/stains if water drops are removed immediatelly but if left overnight (sometimes it is not as easy to buff due to lots of rain at the moment) next morning white stains are visible.
    Any ideas???