autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review: Griot's Garage Extra-Large PFM Edgeless Drying Towel

Griot's Garage Extra-Large PFM Edgeless Drying Towel

I had to wash an old 2-door Chevy today to prep it for machine polishing. The car underwent a motor swap and my guess is when they re-sprayed the firewall and inner fenders flat black at the same time they covered the car with black overspray paint. Just a guess but I have a clay bar that vindicates at least the black part.

Anyway, after thoroughly washing and the taking a Nanoskin towels to the paint, glass and chrome I used the Griot's Garage Extra-Large PFM Edgeless Drying Towel to remove all the standing water and I must say I was impressed. It completey removed all the water off what most people would consider a full size car and still had room to hold more water.

This towel has a large microfiber nap or loop of fiber so it's incredibly soft and plush. It's double ply - this means you get the same large microfiber loop on both sides of the towel, not just one side. It's also edgeless as they somehow found a way to sew the edges inwards so everything that touches your baby's paint is super soft and absorbent.

If you have a nice car and by this I mean you have a car that you take care of and maintain the paint on it, and you want a super soft drying towel that's super safe, then consider one of these drying towels from Griot's.

Did I mention it's extra large? Here's the dimensions

29” x 36”

And I have a technique I can share for using it to make drying safe for you car and your towel I just need to shoot a video to share it.

Review:

I like it. It's nice. It's safe for clearcoat paint. It holds a ton of water. It's easy to use. Then wash, dry and re-use.

On Autogeek.com

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, VISITOR, VitreousHumor, JKDesign liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Griot's Garage Extra-Large PFM Edgeless Drying Towel

Since I’ve seen many pictures you’ve taken and a Cobra Guzzler was in the picture, what are your thoughts on this PFM vs the Guzzler?
    I have both and I find the PFM far better but wanted to hear your opinion.
    Bruno Soares

Post Thanks / Like

I have Blg Blue, Cobra Guzzler, Adams Drying Towel and the Griots PFM. The Griots is definitely my favorite. I can dry my entire truck with one towel and never have to wring it out.

5. Likes PaulMys, VISITOR, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I gave up my Air Wand and CR Spotless in favor of the Griots towel. It’s all I really need to dry.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

When I can throw a PFM onto my Ram hood and do one drag on each side, and have zero water or streaks, I am impressed.

The PFM outperforms all others IMO.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Likes VISITOR, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve got a couple of the smaller PFMs and they are very good. This one is too big for me. I would drag it on the ground trying to dry the verticles. I need some small PFMs with magnets to stick under my mirrors. Or even some Baby Big Blues with magnets (I like my Big Blue too).

Post Thanks / Like

I’m with rlmccarty - love the PFMs, but found this one’s too big for my personal tastes.

I got it in the BOSS Foam Starter Kit, and have been debating trimming it down to smaller more manageable sections to get more use out of it. Not sure how the edges would hold up though without hiring someone to do some stitch work.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post

Since I’ve seen many pictures you’ve taken and a Cobra Guzzler was in the picture, what are your thoughts on this PFM vs the Guzzler?
    I'd say the Griot's Pretty Freaking Amazing microfiber towel is a stronger performer with it's large microfiber nap as compared to a flat weave design when it comes to removing and holding water but I also think they are both safe to the paint. The thing I like about the flat waffle weave design is it's pretty difficult to get them contaminated. By this I mean have any form or type of abrasive particle like sticks, leaves, dirt, rocks, dead bug legs, etc. EMBED into the towel because there's no place for these types of thing to embed. That's the benefit of a flat weave. It's simple. The large nap of the Griot's PFM drying towel has an large nap or LOOP OF FIBER and if a person is NOT CAREFUL they can easily contaminate the nap and therefore make this type of drying towel risking for paint. That's just the facts.

So - the large nap towel is great for anyone that is OCD about taking care of their tools, and this type of towel is a TOOL and won't let it drop to the ground. This type of person also has a DEDICATED place that's clean to store dirty towels until they are washed and dried and then stored in a way to prevent contamination.

I talk a lot about how to take care of microfiber towels in my boat detailing book as it's easier to PREVENT scratches in Isinglass windows than it I for most boat owners to machine polish scratches OUT of Isinglass windows.

Quote Originally Posted by BSoares View Post

I have both and I find the PFM far better but wanted to hear your opinion.
    PFM certainly removes water faster and holds more water than any flat weave design towel.

I will continue to use the Guzzlers because for what I need they work perfect and what I do is wash and then dry a lot of crappy condition cars that I'm going to buff out or my classes are going to buff out.

Now if I had just one really nice car to take care of and I had already performed all the correction, polishing and sealing work, then I would use the smaller version of this PFM.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post

I’ve got a couple of the smaller PFMs and they are very good.
    I agree. I prefer the smaller versions.

This one is too big for me. I would drag it on the ground trying to dry the verticals.
    I have a tip for that but it works better in a video. As soon as I can create my own "intro" for my videos I'll be making a lot more videos and will show stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post

have been debating trimming it down to smaller more manageable sections to get more use out of it.

Not sure how the edges would hold up though without hiring someone to do some stitch work.
    If you decide to do this definitely find a seamstress that is an artist to do the stitching work for you.

12. Likes JKDesign, DBAILEY, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer two smaller towels. Well that what I tell myself anyway. When a suv or truck comes in, I always subconsciously grab a large towel like this. Definitely going to get one or 2 for sure. I appreciate the photo of it laid out on the hood!!
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

I need some small PFMs with magnets to stick under my mirrors. Or even some Baby Big Blues with magnets (I like my Big Blue too).
    You should consider getting yourself a Metro Sidekick blower.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast