autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

How to remove scratches from Jeep Window with Flitz Polish and Olie Jentzsch

How to remove scratches from Jeep Window with Flitz Polish and Olie Jentzsch

Olie Jentzsch from Flitz International LTD stopped by Autogeek to make some how-to videos showcasing a vast collection of Flitz products. To showcase the Flitz Metal, Plastic and Fiberglass Polish plus the Flitz 7" extra large Buff Ball, I contacted my buddy Mike and asked him how the windows were on his incredibly nice 1995 Jeep. Mike told me he had a mishap with the Jeep windows and ended up putting some very deep scratches into the plastic using an Ice Scraper.

Olie said he was up to the challenge and while he knew the Flitz product could improve the damage it probably couldn't remove the damage 100%. That's an honest answer from an honest man that knows the limits of his product line.

Me? I'm always up for a good challenge. I've buffed out a LOT of plastic "things" in my life and I agreed, the scratches looked to be to deep to correct 100% but I also knew a good polishing job would make the windows both SAFE and functional.

Here's the custom Jeep. This Jeep has a modern Corvette engine and brand new Dana 44 axels front and rear. The paint is also brand new. If you're looking for a Jeep that's "done" then Mike's Jeep is for sale and I can put you in contact with him.

Pretty bad....

2. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: How to remove scratches from Jeep Window with Flitz Polish and Olie Jentzsch

Continued....

Fast forward from 2 weeks ago when I took the above pictures to last Friday, the day after Yancy and I finished shooting 30 segments with Dennis Gage on My Classic Car. Schedule been a tick busy lately but when you love your job it's no longer work.

Mike brought his Jeep back to Autogeek and Yancy moved the Jeep into position to shoot a number of videos.

IMPORTANT: Before polishing any clear plastic window - be sure to clean it first to remove any loose dirt.

First up was machine polishing the flexible plastic windows. Note Olie has taped-off the surrounding edges of the vinyl that make up the half-door. The Flitz polish will wash off but instead of washing the vinyl afterwards it's faster and even easier and safer to go ahead and protect the black vinyl next to the window with some wide painter's tape.

Note that Olie is placing the window on a soft, clean carpet on a flat table. This is so he can press hard with the Flitz Buff Ball and NOT stretch the window.

First he "finger paints" some Flitz Metal, Plastic and Fiberglass polish over the plastic window.

Now it's time to start buffing. Olie says a higher RPM Drill works best, somewhere in the 1,800 to 2,200 RPM range.

Olie slowly and methodically moves the Buff Ball over the plastic...

NOTE: Don't buff to a DRY BUFF - There should always be a film of polish on the surface.

After buffing, wipe off any excess using a clean, microfiber towel.

Finished results
    Here's the final results. Not 100% perfect but he removed the shallow scratches and improved the overall clarity of the window to the point the owner can now see through the window EASILY and that makes this window safe.

On Autogeek.com

Flitz Paste Metal Polish 2 Pound Can - $48.99

Flitz Büff Ball, X-Large 7 inches

The complete line of Flitz products

4. Thanks Diner thanked for this post