autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

How to correctly use an AIO or Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

How to correctly use an AIO or Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

I type about this topic all the time so while I'm thinking about it here's a dedicated article on how to use a one-step cleaner/wax also called an AIO or All-in-One.

Just to note, an AIO and a Cleaner/Wax are they same thing or same category of product.

It's real simple....

You use a one-step cleaner/wax the same way you would use a compound or a polish.

That is, you use the product heavy or wet. Not PEA SIZED DROPS --> that's ridiculous. You need some amount of product simply to lubricate the surface AND have both enough abrasives and any other cleaning agents ON THE SURFACE working for you as you correct paint.

Lots of pads
    You also need lots of pads. Just like using a compound to correct a car's paint, when using a one-step cleaner/wax you need a lot of buffing pads. When using a product heavy or wet the pads are going to become wet or soggy fairly quickly. When a foam pads become wet it becomes USELESS. This means you're wasting time and in most cases destroying the pad as a wet pad hold in heat more than a dry pad. It will also take you longer to buff out a car because the pad is no longer doing correction work. And to top it off, your results won't look as good than had you switched to a clean dry pad often.

I recently used a jeweling wax, (like a cleaner/wax only finished out better and more consistently on a wide spectrum of paint types), and look how many pads I used to do the job a fast as humanly possible while working safely and maintaining pro results.

I cover this topic in all my classes, yes, even the boat class. See my Sig Line and click the link for more info...

2. Thanks Diner, DetailZeus thanked for this post
    Likes JKDesign, axel06, Frank70, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to correctly use an AIO or Cleaner/Wax by Mike Phillips

I have been lurking on Autogeek for almost 2 years but I have never posted before. I have wanted something easier to keep my daily driver looking the good but am not striving for perfection. Due to overwhelmingly positive reviews I recently bought Blackfire one step. I have the Griots 6 inch polisher and am wondering what pads you feel are best with this all in one. The griots orange foam or black foam? I have a 2015 Honda Accord with black paint that scratches if you look at it. I plan on going over with the griots sealant that I have.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Autogeekonline mobile app

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jschleezy View Post

I have been lurking on Autogeek for almost 2 years but I have never posted before.

I have wanted something easier to keep my daily driver looking the good but am not striving for perfection. Due to overwhelmingly positive reviews I recently bought Blackfire one step.

I have the Griots 6 inch polisher and am wondering what pads you feel are best with this all in one. The griots orange foam or black foam?

I have a 2015 Honda Accord with black paint that scratches if you look at it. I plan on going over with the griots sealant that I have.

I'd get the Griot's Orange pads. Once you break one in it will soften it down and it should work perfectly fine on the paint on your Honda.

Thanks for finally joining in on the fun!

Post Thanks / Like

When it comes to a cleaner wax type products verses and all in one, they are similar or the same type of thing, correct? Would an over the counter Meguiars cleaner wax or Mothers California Gold cleaner wax still be able to be used like an all in one on a DA polisher?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by lovenhim View Post

When it comes to a cleaner wax type products verses and all in one, they are similar or the same type of thing, correct?
    A cleaner/wax and an AIO are the EXACT SAME THING. Both of these products will do 3 things,

1: Clean or "correct" the finish.

2: Polish the finish to create gloss and clarity.

3: Protect - This means the product will leave something behind that is NOT water soluble that will protect the finish and hold up at least fro some measure of time to water. Water means washing, the rain or wiping with a spray detailer, waterless wash or rinseless was.

Quote Originally Posted by lovenhim View Post

Would an over the counter Meguiars cleaner wax or Mothers California Gold cleaner wax still be able to be used like an all in one on a DA polisher?
    Yes. Both Meguiar's and Mothers make great one-step cleaner/waxes and unlike MOST of the products on the shelves of you local auto parts store, they actually state in the words on the label what they are and by doing so they tell you what they do.

Most product don't use the words cleaner/wax or cleaner/sealant or AIO on the label but then again, most of the masses don't know half as much as you so it doesn't matter.

For example - Nu-Finish is a one-step cleaner/sealant but the NAME on the label doesn't state this... if you read the description it does tell you it removes oxidation and this is a sign of a cleaner/wax or cleaner/sealant.

Make sense?

I have a very in-depth article on this topic and you'll never find this kind info on FB

Post Thanks / Like

Mike Phillips, how would you work a Cleaner Wax "Past " type .
    Tom

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Steelman View Post
    Mike Phillips, how would you work a Cleaner Wax "Past " type .
    Same way, paste wax version don't work as well by machine in my opinion and experience.

With past you don't have "liquid" versions of the lubricants, cleaners, solvents, etc., whatever is in the liquid version.

The liquid versions are simply better at the correction portion of the process.

What are you using that's in paste form?

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmmmm.......... Looks like around 20 Mike??

I feel vindicated in my past posts about using upward of 20 pads now.

My results come out SO much better when I swap pads like a mad man. Just sayin'.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes custmsprty, dlc95, Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike I'm using Mothers Brazilian Carnauba Cleaner Wax (Past). I have put it on like regular past wax. Will now buy the liquid Cleaner/Wax. Thank you Mike.
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Hmmmmmm.......... Looks like around 20 Mike??

I feel vindicated in my past posts about using upward of 20 pads now.

My results come out SO much better when I swap pads like a mad man. Just sayin'.
    That does sound like a crazy amount. With you thought - as soon as my pads look too dirty or start to get that packed-with-product look I swap them. Could be 1/2 panel depending on how dirty the paint is. I tend to brush my pads as I go. My average is probably ~8 per vehicle.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast