autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gear-Driven Orbital Polisher History by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    No one from our team recording for posterity that I know of.

Not sure about MTE or anyone else.

That’s too bad. All it would take would be someone to set up a camera at the back of the room. The Rupes videos are not “professional” grade but they get the information across. I’m always looking for information from sources that are not trying to sell me something.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post

I’m always looking for information from sources that are not trying to sell me something.

That describes all of my classes. Here's a testimony or review posted TODAY - Wednesday, September 18th, 3 days after the Ohio 2-day Roadshow Class.

Pictures: Roadshow Class with Detail Pro Shop in Powell, Ohio

On page 2 of the thread, post #13

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter800 View Post

Had a blast at this roadshow class! Also had the privilege of driving the Boxster home.

Really enjoyed being able to use a variety of top notch machines and products and be able to form your own opinion of which is right for you.

Mike’s unbiased and hands on approach really makes this class unique.

Not to sound like a salesman, but if you were even remotely considering taking this class, I would highly recommend it.

I can find more like this, that is real honest reviews from the people that take the class.

Apologies no one from Autogeek videos any of my 8 classes at MTE or any of my hands-on classes a total of 9 just this year alone.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post

That’s too bad. All it would take would be someone to set up a camera at the back of the room.

I have 8 classes this year at Mobile Tech Expo

2020 Mobile Tech Expo Class Schedule for Education Day on Thursday in Orlando, Florida

I would really love to capture them on video or at least live broadcast them.

Post Thanks / Like

Makita also made the BO6040. I purchased one probably back in 2006-7

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Makita also made the BO6040. I purchased one probably back in 2006-7

You are correct. I have a couple of articles on this tool

I guess I didn't include it because,

A: It was sold as a wood sander.

B: I forgot about it.

Thanks for jogging my memory.

6. Thanks Dan Tran thanked for this post
    Likes DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it was definitely built like a wood sander.

Mike Phillips

Here's what I can find....

How To use Nanoskin Autoscrub Pads on Makita BO6040

Makita BO6040 Removing Sanding Marks

Here's one more, I've included the link and my "opinion" on using the BO4060 to detail cars.

which one to choose makita bo6040 or Flex 3401??

I've used both and the Flex 3401 is easier to work with as it's purposefully designed to be a "paint polisher".

The Makita BO6040 is a wood sander. The difference is when sanding with it the tool doesn't require a lot of muscle to control. When polishing paint with it, you will use a lot more muscle energy to control it as compared to the Flex 3401.

Why?

Because of the design shape.

If you look at the two tools, the Flex 3401 is longer with a forward bale handle and the rear grip at the back of the tool. The length of the tool body is not an accident, the length of the tool puts your hands far enough apart at both extreme ends to give you leverage over the tool, this makes it easier to hold and control for HOURS as you work through the,

1. Correct step
    2. Polishing step
    3. Machine waxing step

Some people might even do a second polishing step.

Point being, buffing out an entire car with a neglected finish from start to finish is going to take you anywhere from 4 to 8 hours behind the polisher.

The design engineers at Flex purposefully designed the Flex 3401 to be an ergonomically correct, powerful paint polishing tool that will remove defects without at the same time instilling holograms or burning high points. (Assuming you use the tool correctly and with quality pads and good abrasive technology).

The design engineers at Makita purposefully designed the Makita BO6040 to be an ergonomically correct, powerful wood sander. Can it be used to polish paint? Yes. And it does do a good job in the way that the Flex 3401 does a good job by offering a forced, dual action orbiting pattern for the buffing pad.

If I had to pick one and go buff out an entire car I would easily grab the Flex 3401 over the Makita BO6040.

Plus, down the road you can get different backing plates for the Flex and I'm a big fan of the 4" backing plate with 5" Hybrid pads.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand what you're saying about the body length. I found myself holding onto the very back with the one hand to separate my hands as much as possible. It took awhile but I found a comfortable position where I had the machine held at about 7-8 o'clock to my body. That gave me the most control as far as walking and allowed the pad to glide the best it could. Its kind of a heavy machine too. I've still got it. Thought I might actually use it as a wood sander one day. Maybe I should try to sell it on Craigslist and put that money toward a CBEAST.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12