autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Gear-Driven Orbital Polisher History by Mike Phillips

Gear-Driven Orbital Polisher History by Mike Phillips

I'm sure other guys know the history or exact years these tools were introduce, I'm not sure any of them write articles with pictures?

This picture is from a class I taught at Mobile Tech Expo last year titled,

Polishing tools past, present and future: Old and new technology reviewed and showcased

See class #5 listed in the classes I taught last year here,

2018 Class Schedule for Mobile Tech Expo - Friday, January 26th in Orlando, Florida

The above picture is one of 112 pictures in total in this Power Point Presentation for the section I covered on gear-driven orbitals, past, present and future. The future of course, is the FLEX 3401 Cordless Polisher. I don't know when it's to be introduced but I've used the prototype.

The picture of the RUPES EK150 is a picture I took when I was the guest at RUPES in Milan, Italy, you can see it here,

Rupes Bigfoot Orbital Polishers Virtual Museum Tour - Milan, Italy

Guido Valentini, the President of RUPES not only gave me a personal tour of their factory but he also gave me permission to take pictures of not just their tool museum but inside the factory where the tools were built.

Top Secret Pictures – How Rupes Bigfoot Polishers are made!

This was probably the most entertaining class I taught, (they're all entertaining), and I'm going to see if Yancy and I can turn this Power Point Presentation into a Webinar or a video as it the Power Point Presentation itself covers a LOT of tools.

I'm working on one of my classes for the 2019 Mobile Tech Expo that will show how to use gear-drive orbital polishers to do high quality and profitable one-step production detailing using cleaner/waxes and AIOs.

Stay tuned....

2. Thanks dlc95 thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95, UniqueG88 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Gear-Driven Orbital Polisher History by Mike Phillips

Continued....

Here's the dates for Mobile Tech Expo for 2019, which takes place in Orlando.

Thursday, January 9th --> Education day --the day for attending classes
    Friday, January 10th
    Saturday, January 11th

Here's my schedule for 2019

1: 8:00am to 8:45am – Complete detailing including, everything inside, outside and engine compartments
    Rob McCrary and Jason Whitely along with Mike Phillips will show you how to tackle every surface in a car including matching the right product for safe yet consistent professional results. Glass, paint, chrome, leather, vinyl, Alcantara, plastics, rubber, aluminum, EVERYTHING!

2: 10:00am to 10:45am – DA Polishers and How to Choose the Proper Tool for you
    Dave Patterson and Mike Phillips go over all the popular orbital polishers and how to get the right tools for you.

3: 1:00pm to 1:45pm – Production Detailing with Gear-Driven Orbital Polishers
    Gear-driven orbital polishers enable you to buff out a car dramatically faster due to zero pad stalling. This class will cover all the current gear-driven orbital polishers on the market, how they work, how they are different and the real-world benefit you get from gear-drive. This class will also cover best pad options and products plus tips and techniques to under promise and over deliver for your customers. The difference between gear-driven short stroke polishers and free spinning long stroke polishers will also be covered to remove ANY confusion over these two very different types of tools.

Current gear-driven orbital polishers on the U.S. market

RUPES Mille = 5mm orbit stroke length

Makita PO5000C = 5.5mm orbit stroke length

FLEX XC 3401 VRG - 8mm orbit stroke length and

4: 2:00pm to 2:45pm – Jeweling paint with Rotary Polishers
    Jeweling is a term that means to machine polish paint or jewel paint to a glistening gemstone appearance using a rotary polisher. Rotary polishers are making a strong come-back in the car detailing world due to the availability of new lightweight, compact tools with low RPM abilities. The key to jeweling with a rotary polisher starts with low RPM but the right pads and the right abrasive technology is also vital to buffing paint without leaving holograms. This class will show you which tools, pads and product you can use to successfully jewel paint to maximum gloss and clarity.

5: 3:00pm to 3:45pm – Isolated Defect Removal – Wetsanding and Buffing Small Areas
    Buffing out an entire car is one thing, knowing how to remove an isolated defect without making a mistake is an art unto itself. In this class you will learn how to spot sand with 1”, 2” and 3” sanding discs and then remove your sanding marks while leaving swirl-free results. Small plug-in tools and small cordless tools will be featured..

6: 4:00pm to 4:45pm – Cordless Tool Technology - – How to detail without access to a 110 electric outlet
    This class will showcase battery operated tools of the detailing trade including rotary polishers, orbital polishers and micro-tools. The key with any cordless tool starts with correct pad selection. This class will showcase all the currently available cordless tools on the market and the best pads available to maximize performance and battery life.

7: 5:00pm to 5:45pm – How to become the Recognized Detailing Expert in Your Hometown plus how to use the NEW Vehicle Inspection Forms!
    These classes always fill up! The session on How to become the Recognized Detailing Expert will show you how to get into all your local car clubs using the backdoor method instead of cold calling. The second session in this class will show you how to use the NEW Vehicles Inspection Forms to document pre-existing damage. These forms also help you to make sure you’re matching your services to your customer and upsell to higher profit packages.

Clear your schedule and make plans to attend Mobile Tech Expo 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Ahhhh. More history by Mike Phillips. Love the history!

Mike, any idea what pad size/plate is on that EK150? What about orbit size?

Thanks for sharing!!

(and I got to work my way over to the new VIFs)

5. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah ha!

2007 for the 3401!

Thanks Mike!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Ah ha!

2007 for the 3401!

Thanks Mike!
    Holy cow, does that mean I've had my Flex for 10 years already?!?!

8. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, thanks for the early 'heads up' on the MTE classes, hoping there are minimal scheduling conflicts this year!

Post Thanks / Like

I have been very happy with my 3401 thru the years but this is an area I wouldn’t mind seeing more than our current 3 options. To me a forced rotation is essential tool.
    Jim

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post

Mike, thanks for the early 'heads up' on the MTE classes, hoping there are minimal scheduling conflicts this year!

Been trying to get a dedicated thread for my class schedule posted for 2 weeks now... just can't get to it...

Post Thanks / Like

Is there any chance these classes will be recorded and uploaded to YouTube? I’ve found a few Rupes classes on YouTube but the series is incomplete. Sharing information is what the internet was invented for.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post

Is there any chance these classes will be recorded and uploaded to YouTube? I’ve found a few Rupes classes on YouTube but the series is incomplete.

Sharing information is what the internet was invented for.

No one from our team recording for posterity that I know of.

Not sure about MTE or anyone else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast