autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: SONAX Polymer Net Shield - Closest thing to a coating without being a coating

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I would not get too hung up on it not having SiO2 in it. PNS is the real deal when it comes to a good form of protection. Some don't like the grabby nature of it. They always sell their own coating as well.
    I was just wondering about SiO2 for compatibility/supplemental purposes. I wanted to be aware if I have SiO2 sprays on my car whether this would add to it or be it’s own separate thing. No issues with it being something else though.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SONAX Polymer Net Shield - Closest thing to a coating without being a coating

I think it's a hydrocarbon polymer based. It has a very coating like behavior.

The BSD and V7 I have read about to make it smoother. I don't have any problems with the little grabby texture from BSD. If you use very little of it I experience it smoother. Prime the application mf towel with one spray and spray one more time for every panel and buff off right away with a plush mf towel. Bigger panels split it up in 2 sections. I have a Flairosol spray bottle with BSD in it if I spray directly to the panel or use it as a drying aid. That spray bottle distribute it very nicely and even.

The PNS and BSD combo I think is a very solid sealant and maintance protection. I would apply it over the whole car but that's why I live in harsh winter weather. Here is the lower side panels and the back of the car where the protection gets degraded first.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the grabby nature of application also turned me off. I still use it though. Just can’t beat the performance. Especially in combo with BSD.

I really like BSD a lot, especially on white. A wipe down once a month while drying and the stuff performs like a top shelf sealant. The brilliant shine part of the name is pretty accurate.

I think I’ll give PNS a shot over an AIO.

4. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post

Do you use the Chamberlin for that task

No, not enough power. I use a clean, inspected microfiber towel flat on the hood with a foam Lake Country 6.5" Force Hybrid cutting pad on the FLEX 3401 on a slow setting, like the 2 speed setting and machine remove the wax.

I apply the SONAX PNS to the paint, using a thin coat and as soon as I've applied to the entire hood I remove using the towel under the pad technique.

I've only done this on single stage paint, not basecoat/clearcoat but man what a high gloss shine it creates.

Here's BEFORE - note the dull looking paint, especially on the hood.

Here's AFTER - look at the gloss, clarity and shine...

That is the ORIGINAL Single Stage Metallic Paint.

The second owner of the car.

6. Thanks Diner, VitreousHumor, LEDetailing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So some lSP sealants really help with reflection and shine and I don't see that mentioned here. Is this basically just a protection/water beader? I have to admit I like the smoothness I get from powerlock and not sure anything grabby would ever enter my lineup.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    So some lSP sealants really help with reflection and shine and I don't see that mentioned here. Is this basically just a protection/water beader? I have to admit I like the smoothness I get from powerlock and not sure anything grabby would ever enter my lineup.
    I wouldn't get too hung up on whether it's grabby or smooth on application. Personally, I focus on a product's ability to sheet water and protect the surface than whether it's a little grabby on application. It's not like the pad sticks or drags while being applied and it isn't hard to buff off afterwards.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

9. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I wouldn't get too hung up on whether it's grabby or smooth on application. Personally, I focus on a product's ability to sheet water and protect the surface than whether it's a little grabby on application. It's not like the pad sticks or drags while being applied and it isn't hard to buff off afterwards.
    maybe i misunderstood, for some reason I thought it meant the surface after wipe off was grabby, like a bad wax job.
    2009 Pontiac G8GT
    2015 Ford Explorer Limited
    2019 Chevy Silverado RST Z71

Post Thanks / Like

I do believe the surface is not very slick afterwards (at least that’s true with BSD, I assume PNS is the same). The shine is good with BSD (will again assume the same for PNS). Not the best, but good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Belo View Post
    maybe i misunderstood, for some reason I thought it meant the surface after wipe off was grabby, like a bad wax job.
    Some people mention that as well.

One thing I've noticed is some products like coatings and PNS which have excellent water sheeting seem to have surfaces which feel less smooth/slick than some waxes. The upside, and I have no way of explaining it, is water sheets right off whereas on a very smooth/slick waxed surface the water simply beads up and sits. I wouldn't judge the quality of the LSP by how it feels when you swipe a finger along the surface. You may be missing out on some great products.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

13. Likes DBAILEY, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I find it's grabby on application, not like it's scratching but I guess like a static cling type feel I guess is a way to describe it. As you wipe it on it deminishes and after it's smooth, not the smoothest but as said above it's about it's ability to keep the car clean

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast