autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The case against multi-year ceramic paint coatings - Road Grime = Surface Staining Daily Drivers by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 2wookies View Post
    That is abrasive that is why it removed the coating.

This one is not abrasive. The only way it will remove the coating is if it used with a pad that has some sort of cutting ability.

This is what you should have used

CarPro Essence PLUS 250 ml

2. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The case against multi-year ceramic paint coatings - Road Grime = Surface Staining Daily Drivers by Mike Phillips

Efff

4. Likes The Guz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2wookies View Post
    That's the one with abrasives. From the product page.
    Featuring a specialized blend of durable resins that produce an unparalleled gloss, nano-tech Quartz technology, and fine abrasives that break down easily...
    Those abrasives polished off the coating.

You should have used this one: Essence PLUS

This non-abrasive formula will repair fine swirls in a damaged ceramic coating while also increasing the hydrophobic properties and cleaning the surface underneath!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think more that it is the use of PH. neutral shampoo that explains this phenomenon. PH. neutral shampoo does not clean away traffic film quite well, it is therefore built on a layer of an almost transparent layer of traffic film. which after a couple of years turns into a layer of dirt.I see this on cars with or without coatings, so it's not coating itself that makes the cars look like this.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Deje View Post

so it's not coating itself that makes the cars look like this.

I completely agree and just to note - I never said that dirt staining on paint was only on coated cars. In fact I have at least 3-4 articles documenting dirt staining on waxed cars on this forum.

I think I'm the ONLY guy that any articles on this topic as well as hundreds of other topics....

Seriously - who else writes articles?

8. Likes Aaryn NZ, RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Seriously - who else writes articles?

Actually Mike, that statement has drawn a big fat BLANK in terms of an answer for me but thank you! Thank you for writing the articles you do.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post

Actually Mike, that statement has drawn a big fat BLANK in terms of an answer for me but thank you! Thank you for writing the articles you do.

Aaryn NZ.

Ha ha...

Thanks Aaryn....

Everyone seems to have an opinion.... but with all the experts you find on Facebook, seems like none of them can put together an real how-to article that helps others figure this detailing thing out while also standing the test of time.

Not sure why that is?

Can't type?
    No time?
    Scared?

11. Likes Aaryn NZ, GEM65, RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Ha ha...

Thanks Aaryn....

Everyone seems to have an opinion.... but with all the experts you find on Facebook, seems like none of them can put together an real how-to article that helps others figure this detailing thing out while also standing the test of time.

Not sure why that is?

Can't type?
    No time?
    Scared?

Not the place to discuss this I know . . .

Yeah Mike, maybe a bit of all of the above but sadly I think much of that comes down to people either being ‘givers’ or not. I think there are a lot of people out there who want you to believe they ‘know’ but also don’t want you to know what they know. You & I are friends already so I have no need to blow smoke here & I don’t think you’d be friends with that type of person anyhow but I don’t know of any other person that gives even half as much back into an industry, a hobby, a sport an interest, an anything as what you give to detailing.

Sure I know it is effectively your ‘job’ to teach classes, to write articles, so on & so forth but anyone who has met you in person will understand me when I say - you don’t do it for the money.

Anyone who has ever read a Mike Phillips article, watched a Mike Phillips ‘how to’ video, purchased a Mike Phillips book are richer for doing so.

Anyhow, great thread Mike. Coated cars or not, I am always fascinated with this - no matter how thorough the wash/deacon process it’s always an eye opener when the paintwork is cleaned/abraided. Capturing it on camera can prove to be difficult though. The picture of the yellow roadster (I think that’s what it was) you took are perfect.

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

13. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So for the first time I used a ceramic coating this year and to be totally honest I don't think I would do it again. The coating went on without any problems and it looks good but having a black car no matter how careful I am with a daily driver I have picked up a few light scratches I have had to polish out. Then I had to re coat the spots as I had removed the coating.

I normally polish in the spring and in the fall to clean up any scratches and road debris. with the coating this doesn't make sense given the cost and difficulty to apply. The biggest factor for me is I hate having to worry about polishing a small scratch then having to re-coat. And honestly I don't enjoy applying the coating vs applying a sealant or a wax. So I think I will be polishing the car this fall and applying a wax or sealant again as I have in the past mainly because I enjoy the process more than I do with a coating.

15. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

How often are you getting scratches in your paint? Where are they coming from?

I too daily drive a black car and I rarely...if ever get any marring serious enough I have to spot polish between my major detail sessions. Over a long period of time, I might get a very light swirl mark or marr either from washing/drying or something rubbing on the side of the car, but that's life of a daily driver. I don't even try to polish out each one as they appear. You can't treat a daily driver like a trophy winning show car or you'll go nuts.

I used to do a twice a year routine like you, but now I use coatings I've gone as long as 18~24 months. If I'm honest with myself, somewhere between the 12~18 month point is where I really should polish it out again to remove the swirls and remove the grime as Mike spells out in this thread.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

17. Likes BadgerRivFan, RamAirV1 liked this post
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast