autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The case against multi-year ceramic paint coatings - Road Grime = Surface Staining Daily Drivers by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    IMO, the whole 'time-based' longevity is absurd, given the widely varying vehicle usage patterns and climate.
    I agree. That's one of the reasons why I like how Nanolex presents the durability of their products in terms of mileage. Ex. LSP X will last 12000 miles.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The case against multi-year ceramic paint coatings - Road Grime = Surface Staining Daily Drivers by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    I agree. That's one of the reasons why I like how Nanolex presents the durability of their products in terms of mileage. Ex. LSP X will last 12000 miles.
    I appreciate Nanolex trying a different way to quantify the durability of the product, is that any better than a time frame? For my purposes it's actually worse.

For me, 12000 miles is about 14 months worth of driving, while my wife will cover than same distance in 4~5 months depending on her work schedule. Using mileage numbers like that would mean the Nanolex coating would last less than most good sealants on my wife's car, and be almost in lifespan of a traditional wax. Over the years I've found LSP durability to be very similar with our vehicles despite one being driven 3x more than the other each year.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

3. Likes DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, that certainly pokes holes in a mileage based longevity claim. Perhaps coating packages should just state "Longevity: We really don't know, please let us know how it goes".

The more I *think* I know, the less I find I actually do know.

Interesting stuff nonetheless.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I appreciate Nanolex trying a different way to quantify the durability of the product, is that any better than a time frame? For my purposes it's actually worse.

For me, 12000 miles is about 14 months worth of driving, while my wife will cover than same distance in 4~5 months depending on her work schedule. Using mileage numbers like that would mean the Nanolex coating would last less than most good sealants on my wife's car, and be almost in lifespan of a traditional wax. Over the years I've found LSP durability to be very similar with our vehicles despite one being driven 3x more than the other each year.

5. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post
    Absolutely, we have monsoons that bring a drenching of water/sand/mineral (copper, etc..). Sand storms, and those crazy Sand Vortex things... I almost drove through one yesterday... It was probably about 50 ft wide and collected every piece of dead brush, whipped into a frenzy. The heat and UV rays will eat the cc off a vehicle, and will destroy interiors.

This is why I use coatings... the UV protection, and the quick maintenance. I can wash and blow dry... Today it's going to 111 degrees. A wash is quick and blow dry... I use a combo of the sun as a drying aid, and the high hydrophobic qualities of the coating to blow dry.

p.s. I like your Avatar photo - My retired racing greyhounds (Jax & Khaki) would LOVE to chase, errr... I mean, meet you!
    You should have driven through the lightning and thunder storms we had yesterday and today in Tampa. My pool was filled 4 inches in less than 30 minutes!!!
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

7. Thanks LSNAutoDetailing thanked for this post
    Likes LSNAutoDetailing, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mike! I feel somewhat vindicated! I have used your point to let a few people know that a ceramic coating is not the be all and end all of LSP. I let the potential customer (friend) know that if he/she takes the car to a local car wash brushes or hand eventually he will have to re-detail his ride. Does not matter what's on his ride...sealant/wax/coating. The exterior environmental elements are the factor.

Either way, thank you for this much needed explanation.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

9. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post
    Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is why I have never been even slightly inclined to try a coating over my sealant/synthetics.

And yes, I am fully aware of all benefits associated with them.

Just my preference, and what I find to work, and work very well for me.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

11. Likes BudgetPlan1, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just got through explaining this to a customer today. I do nothing but coatings any more with only one just this year being a sealant instead but my main point to customers is that these are 1-2year type products as to keep the car looking like day one of the return from my care it will need to be refreshed in the 18-24 month time frame if it's a year-round daily driver here in Ohio. Most are good with that and what I find sells them most is showing them either my wifes car or mine and how even tonight for example, after a few days around town in the rain, that they look great and still shed water like a ducks feathers.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

13. Likes SWETM, BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post

Either way, thank you for this much needed explanation.

Now days, I find I can take anything and turn it into a "teaching moment".

Good things, bad things, whatever it is there is lesson that can be learned.

In this case, watching yellowed, brownish looking paint turn vibrant white was the opportunity to share with the class, (about 20 people), that paint gets dirty over time, (the kind of dirt that doesn't wash off), and now sharing with potentially thousands of people into the future because I never type for the moment... only the future.

15. Thanks Kamakaz1961 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The fact quality ceramic coatings can reduce wash induced marring versus waxes/sealants is a good enough reason for me.
    '03 Corvette Z06

17. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    T

he fact quality ceramic coatings can reduce wash induced marring versus waxes/sealants is a good enough reason for me.
    Me too.

I keep our Mercedes-Benz coated.

My point in this article is to not diss coatings, duh... I have one on my car.

The point is that paint gets stained with a dirt film whether it has a coating or not and from my experience in this world, I would say most people don't understand this. So when I get a picture that shows dirt staining I use it to try to educate those so they will understand.

Can you find a deep article like this with pictures anywhere else by any other person in the blogosphere?

Coatings are great. But they won't resist a dirt stain build up forever. For a while, but not forever.

Regular CAREFUL washing is the answer to keeping the surface of the coating clean.

19. Likes BudgetPlan1, Chopper280, Belo, Kamakaz1961 liked this post
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast