autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Mike Phillips

Lake Country 5.5" Foam Flat Pads - Colors and Descriptions + Links

Lake Country 5.5" Foam Flat Pads - Colors and Descriptions + Links

Took a screenshot of the AG store page showing all the newest colors for the famous 5.5" Lake Country Flat pads, sorry to say in order to capture all of the pads in a single screen grab I had to reduce the resolution of the screen from 100% to 60% and as such you cannot easily read the text so I'll put it down below. Can't put it next to each pad without doing a bunch of time-intensive work.

Here's pad colors and descriptions. The blue pad titles are >clickable< to the AG store for more info or to purchase.

Yellow Cutting Flat 5.5 inch Foam Pad
    Use this pad to apply compounds or polishes to remove severe oxidation, swirls, and scratches. It is the most aggressive and should only be used on oxidized and heavily swirled finishes. Always follow this pad with a white or gray pad and a fine polish to refine the paint until it is smooth.

Orange Light Cutting Flat 5.5 inch Foam Pad
    Firm, high density foam for scratch and defect removal. Use this pad with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections.

White Heavy Polishing Flat 5.5 inch Foam Pad
    Less dense foam formula for the application of cleaner waxes, one step polishes, or "all in one" type products. This pad has very light cutting power, so it's perfect for pre-wax cleaners.

Green Polishing/AIO Flat 5.5 inch Foam Pad
    Use this foam to apply one-step cleaner waxes. It is a balance of polishing and finishing that is perfect for all-in-one product application.

Blue Light Polishing Flat 5.5 inch Foam Pad
    This pad is not as dense as the green polishing pad and provides little cutting ability. Generally used to polish to perfect, this pad will leave a high shine on the surface. Perfect for use with a finishing glaze, last-step polish, and some all-in-one cleaner polishes.

Black Finishing Flat 5.5 inch Foam Pad
    Composition is firm enough to withstand added pressure during final finishing to remove buffer swirls. It has no cut and will apply thin, even coats of waxes, sealants, and glazes.

The black pad is now a finishing pad or a waxing pad.

2. Thanks Frank70, habs33 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Country 5.5" Foam Flat Pads - Colors and Descriptions + Links

Interesting change to the colors.

Have the white and orange changed much physically? The descriptions seem a little confusing for the white and orange. A one-step polish for me could very easily be a swirl remover depending on the pad, polish, and hardness of the paint. Example: a swirl remover/light compound paired with a white pad on hard VW paint was a perfect one-step for me. When using a one-step product, I'm correcting defects, not applying the abrassive product.

While I appreciate what they are trying to do, I can't help but wonder if they are making it more confusing. I like to keep it simple with descriptions of the cut like: wax/sealant application, light polishing, polishing, cutting, and heavy cutting. That would leave the type of product up to the user to test what they need based on a test spot.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

4. Likes ek556 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

Have the white and orange changed much physically? The descriptions seem a little confusing for the white and orange. A one-step polish for me could very easily be a swirl remover depending on the pad, polish, and hardness of the paint. Example: a swirl remover/light compound paired with a white pad on hard VW paint was a perfect one-step for me. When using a one-step product, I'm correcting defects, not applying the abrassive product.

While I appreciate what they are trying to do, I can't help but wonder if they are making it more confusing. I like to keep it simple with descriptions of the cut like: wax/sealant application, light polishing, polishing, cutting, and heavy cutting. That would leave the type of product up to the user to test what they need based on a test spot.
    I have to agree with you. This is why I choose to use the Hex logic pads. Those descriptions are exactly whats on each pad's package. Is there an industry standard for pad color though? I think this order of colors is the same as the hex logic ones. If not, damn it there should be.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

I'll send the link to this thread to Jason Brennan, I'm sure he can clear up any confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by ek556 View Post

Is there an industry standard for pad color though?

Nope. There is no industry wide standard color coding. In my how-to book I wrote that each of us must do our own research for each brand of pad we're interested in and go by what the manufacturer says.

Or - ask on a forum like this...

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Nope. There is no industry wide standard color coding. In my how-to book I wrote that each of us must do our own research for each brand of pad we're interested in and go by what the manufacturer says.

Or - ask on a forum like this...

AND keep notes as to what they are. Handy notes. That way when you go through your Pile of Pads (PoP), you know what does what!! Especially handy when you have similar colors from different companies!!! (as in, blue is cut for one company, but finishing for another (just a make believe example)).

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is why I mainly try to stick with Rupes pads. I know the colors and what they do. When I buy other manufacturers pads I have to feel them and guess their purpose. I really don’t see why pad manufacturers don’t get together and set a color standard. If they have a pad that the other do not have they could just make it a shade lighter or darker than the next textured pad. I hate grabbing a burgundy pad and having to think about how much cut it has. Call me I have some ideas on world peace too.

Post Thanks / Like

For the beginner, I suggest taking a pad when you get it and write on the back with a Sharpie what type of pad it is. It will help you the next time you go to use it.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    For the beginner, I suggest taking a pad when you get it and write on the back with a Sharpie what type of pad it is. It will help you the next time you go to use it.
    I have some that faded over time. Oh well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Curious, what Sharpie works on the back since most I have are black hook-n-loop?

Like the idea!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomkirby View Post
    Curious, what Sharpie works on the back since most I have are black hook-n-loop?

Like the idea!
    Silver metalic Sharpie.Lake Country 5.5&quot; Foam Flat Pads - Colors and Descriptions + Links

15. Thanks Thomkirby thanked for this post
    Likes Dr Oldz, mc2hill, PaulMys liked this post