autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to remove a Ceramic Paint Coating High Spot by Mike Phillips

Thank you again for this information!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Yes.

This is where all you can do is to "guess" and then do your best.

For example,

Step 1: Remove the high spot so that that section of paint looks uniform.

Step 2: Chemically strip that section of paint. I would suggest chemically stripping a few inches out from the area you worked too.

Step 3: Apply the ceramic paint coating originally used following manufactures directions.

Step 4: Wait the recommended time and then buff the section with a clean microfiber towel and then INSPECT for high spots. If discovered remove while you still can.

This is not an exact science unless you want to mechanically abrade an entire panel. For example, mechanically abrade an entire hood or fender, whatever panel had the high spot. Then after removing the coating from that entire panel, re-coat as per manufactures directions. This is probably the most accurate repair, that is to abrade and recoat an entire panel. Otherwise... just include some safety margin...

Also note, I used the One-Step because it was next to the car, as in the closest thing at hand.

If you're going to do a proper coating removal and then re-install the coating, DON'T use a cleaner/wax, use a body shop safe polish or compound. Bodyshop safe compounds and polishes are universally water soluble, that is they don't offer any long term "wax" protection and thus the remaining polishing oils on the paint are a lot easier to chemically strip off the surface than a wax or sealant of any type.

Make sense?

It does and as always thank you for the information.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike great write up and visual. Depending on how long the high spot has been there and what ceramic coating you used may make a difference but I’ve had great Sucess going over a high spot with the same coating and wiping off immediately. The solvent that keeps it from hardening in the bottle allows for removal of light high spots.

Post Thanks / Like

People who are worried about removing to much coating could use essence or essence plus by car pro

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    People who are worried about removing to much coating could use essence or essence plus by car pro

Does essence+ actually work for leveling out a high spot? Figured that since it doesn't contain any abrasives (as per the bottle), it wouldn't really "level" it out.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had my Mustang Ceramic Coated a couple years ago. I took my car back to the detailer for the coating annual inspection and they noticed streaks on my car. They had no explanation because the car looked perfect when I picked it up after the initial application. My clear bra installer noticed it and said they were high spots from the coating which I was clueless about. The detailer wants to charge me $300 to polish my car and put a layer of ceramic coating sealant. How long does it take for high spots to develop and are they noticeable right away?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by S550_GT View Post

I had my Mustang Ceramic Coated a couple years ago.

I took my car back to the detailer for the coating annual inspection and they noticed streaks on my car. They had no explanation because the car looked perfect when I picked it up after the initial application.

My clear bra installer noticed it and said they were high spots from the coating which I was clueless about.

The detailer wants to charge me $300 to polish my car and put a layer of ceramic coating sealant.
    Because it's been a couple of years, I'd say there's no definitive way to know what the streaks are or when they were instilled. Had you noticed within a month or two and then taken it back, then I'd say there should be no charge.

To clean the hood, (or wash the car), then clay, then machine polish, then chemically strip then install the coating is going to take the person 3-4 hours easy. (plus chemical coast and wear-n-tear to pads, towels and tools)

Quote Originally Posted by S550_GT View Post

How long does it take for high spots to develop and are they noticeable right away?
    Usually within minutes. It's a drying process and in most environment,s the coating is going to "flash" or in other words, the carrying agents, usually some type of solvent, (note water can be a solvent, it dissolves dirt), and then using GOOD LIGHTING a person should be able to see the high spots or in SIMPLE terms, excess product.

This is why anyone installing ceramic coatings should have access to good lighting or high spots will not be seen. I know, it's happened to me.

If the streaks you're talking about don't wash off or even rub off but will polish off or in worst case scenario, compound off, then more than likely they are in fact streaks of coating. That is unless something else has "happened" to the car.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mike for replying. I followed the washing process they instructed me to use which was the use of a foam canon, air dry (blower) and follow it up with a quick detailer spray they sold me. I noticed them about 4 months later but I thought it was because of my water at home possibly being hard. After my first annual inspection, I purchased a water spot remover from Chemical Guys and it didn't do anything. They aren't easy to notice. You can only see it at certain angles when the light reflects a certain way.

I'm up for another annual inspection this August. I'll talk to the owner and see what he tells me. Thanks for your help.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not looking for the shop to do anything for free BUT I want them to address the problem in the correct manner. I don't want them to hide the high spots with a polish. I want them removed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast