autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

My Pad Prediction - Smaller Wool Cutting Pads for smaller rotary polishers

My Pad Prediction - Smaller Wool Cutting Pads for smaller rotary polishers

Moving into the future there will be or in my opinion SHOULD BE more smaller pads for the new generation lightweight compact rotary polishers.

At Mobile Tech Expo a few weeks ago I spoke with Reps from Lake Country, Buff & Shine and DCR1000 and my recommendation is to make 5" and 6" wool cutting pads, not the soft fuzzy pads but just like traditional wool cutting pads just smaller. This is what is NEEDED for the new compact, lightweight rotary buffers and especially the new cordless tools.

Until pad manufactures catch up with the tools, here's what's available on Autogeek.com

These are in the 6" and 7" range and will work but we really need smaller wool pads.

6.5 inch Hook & Loop DuroWool 100% Twisted Wool Cutting Pad

Meguiars Solo Wool Heavy Cutting Pad 7 inch, wool compounding pad, wool leveling pad, meguiars wool pad, swirl remover pad

6.5 inch 50/50 Wool Acrylic Polishing Pad

Pictured here is a prototype wool cutting pad given to me by Dave Patterson at Lake Country Buffing Pads. This pad is approximately 6" in diameter and I found it to work very well on the new FLEX Cordless PE14

FWIW

2. Likes FrankS, dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Pad Prediction - Smaller Wool Cutting Pads for smaller rotary polishers

I used to have 6.5" Meguiar's wool (w4000 style) pads in the 90's. I always wondered what happened to them...

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, well stated.
    Nathan Doering CD-SV

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree Mike. Although not carried by Autogeek I do have some black lambs wool pads for my PE8 in 2in/3in diameters along with some 5in black lambs wools for my full size rotary.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

The only issues I've had with the older tradition Lake Country wool pads is that I've never been a fan of the recessed backing or the linting. I feel like the latest 6" LC lambswool cutting pads are virtually perfect. I know the deep recess backing is safety measure on traditional wool cutting pads and I understand that the latest lambswool cutting pads won't cut as much, but they are so much easier and cleaner to use. I would love if LC also took the latest 6" lambswool cutting pad design and used twisted wool rather than lambswool but kept everything else the same.

Mike Phillips

Feel encouraged to post your suggestions...

I sent the link to this thread to,

1. Lake Country
    2. Buff and Shine
    3. DCR1000

They're all great companies and appreciate quality comments and feedback.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Apparently there are new 3”,5”,6” LC and BnS wool pads designed for use on all types of polishers releasing soon. This is really awesome as I prefer wool over microfibre in cutting anyday.

9. Likes DScherer14 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve had my rotary polisher for around 20 years and have only had one wool pad. I think the wool scared me, and I didn’t know how to properly clean it. I need to look at getting a new wool pad. The wool pad has been long gone 15 years ago.

I was just compounding with a 5in light cutting orange LC CCS pad, I really would have benefited from a small wool pad. I would like to try a small wool pad for my one and two inch Flex rotary backing plates. That would be an interesting looking pad.

Subscribed!

Post Thanks / Like

5" pads would be great. Good call Mike. I have both Flex cordless machines on preorder and hope the pads will be available soon.
    Bill Strobel
    Owner Independent Towing & Repair
    Fayetteville, NC
    Do It Right or Don't Do It At All

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by theamcguy View Post

5" pads would be great. Good call Mike.

I have both Flex cordless machines on preorder and hope the pads will be available soon.
    I tested a 5.5" wool pad last night on the FLEX Cordless, I liked the size. Have not made up my mind on the pile length as of yet.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast