autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: My Pad Prediction - Smaller Wool Cutting Pads for smaller rotary polishers

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    No problemo - and they’ll be here next week.

Now I just need a worthy victim!

Mike any update on the smaller pads? Any available for order yet? Thank you
    Bill Strobel
    Owner Independent Towing & Repair
    Fayetteville, NC
    Do It Right or Don't Do It At All

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by theamcguy View Post

Mike any update on the smaller pads? Any available for order yet?

Thank you

No update yet but progress is being made.

Mike Phillips

Wool pad testing...

Pad 1

Pad 2

Pad 3

4. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is those to be used with a DA or rotary polisher or both?

I got just some smaller wool pads from a brand you used to carried. 3" and 5" shorter wool length than a 1"

Looking forward to see how your thoughts are about those wool pads you are testing out. The wool looks as quality.

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

After finally trying the new wool Rupes pads I look forward to smaller wool pads. The Rupes are not “fluffy” but they cut as well as a microfiber and didn’t seem to leave any haze. This was just my first attempt with these new pads, but I’m happy so far.

7. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks interesting Mike.
    Bill Strobel
    Fayetteville, NC

Post Thanks / Like

Mike whatever happened to this project? Did the pads ever get developed?
    Bill Strobel
    Fayetteville, NC

Post Thanks / Like

Not to change the subject but it seems to me like that car paint is in to good of shape to use a rotary and heavy compound on? Is that just an illusion?

I've never used a rotary at all I just know they are for heavy cutting. I'm always worried about using anything heavier then finishing polish on my car. Only because I already did it once and I thought that was enough if the car is well maintained.

Would you say you need to start with a heavy compound to get a true showcar finish even if the cars in decent shape?

I actually used a medium compound last time followed by menzerna 3800. It's been 3 years since I did the heavy compound. Anyway I feel like using the medium compound ruined the very fine refined finish I had from doing jeweling polish so many times. The one use of 3800 wasn't enough to bring it back to what it was. I can see it easy, not that anyone else would notice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    Not to change the subject but it seems to me like that car paint is in to good of shape to use a rotary and heavy compound on? Is that just an illusion?

I've never used a rotary at all I just know they are for heavy cutting. I'm always worried about using anything heavier then finishing polish on my car. Only because I already did it once and I thought that was enough if the car is well maintained.

Would you say you need to start with a heavy compound to get a true showcar finish even if the cars in decent shape?

I actually used a medium compound last time followed by menzerna 3800. It's been 3 years since I did the heavy compound. Anyway I feel like using the medium compound ruined the very fine refined finish I had from doing jeweling polish so many times. The one use of 3800 wasn't enough to bring it back to what it was. I can see it easy, not that anyone else would notice.
    It depends on if you have swirls and scratches that's deep enough to not be leveled down with the SF3800. And if you use a higher cut the SF3800 maybe not is enough to level down the micro marring. If you use a finishing pad and SF3800 you have a very little cut from it. Useally the SF3500 and light polishing or polishing pad is what you use as second step after the first cutting step. The SF3800 is as you use it almost only a jeweling polish. So as you did you need to be polishing a couple of times to get that jewelled look back.

Sonax did release their new ExCut 05-05 compound for DA polishers as the first part of the name is what's used with their polish Ex 04-06. To the ExCut they released a new wool pad SONAX Hybrid Wool Pad 143 DA. A wool/polyester blend is the hybrid part. And 143mm goes on a 125mm/5" backing plate. Will see if I try it out later on. Most companies that has polishing pads seems to be haveing wool pads in their line up. I know many here in Sweden and EU uses short haired wool pads on 8mm throw DA polishers and longthrow polishers and direct driven DA polishers. The lesser heat build up and useally a notch higher cut and also finishing abilities vs mf cutting pads.

Some I see on the forum members that use the LC Purple Foamed Wool Pad and the LC Low Lint Wool Pad on DA polishers. Thought I would see more about the Buff & Shine Uro-Wool pads. Which seems to be great and also as LC wool pads at a great price. Also Rupes Wool Pads the blue pad and the yellow pad for the longthrows is also not many that uses them. But those that use wool pads on the different DA polishers is happy with them. Thinking those weekend warriors with the PC polisher or GG6. That needs to be cutting effective would be all over these wool pads. It can turn them in to be heavy cutting very effective. But most see recommendations of mf cutting pads for heavy cutting.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike whatever happened to this project? Did the pads ever get developed?
    Bill Strobel
    Fayetteville, NC

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast