autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Microfiber towels for ceramic paint coatings - How to care for - by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by BryanH View Post

Great article Mike, very practical advice.
    Thanks Bryan...

I've thought a bit about this recently and wonder what your take is on towels used for SiO2 maintenance products such as CarPro Reload, Gyeon Cure, etc.

It seems a little inefficient to get a soak bucket ready and do a small load of laundry each time you maintain your coated car with one of these products, especially if you use them as a drying aid for every wash.

Thoughts?

Good questions and the key difference between the article I wrote and the question you ask is that my article is addressing the actual towels needed and used for a proper coating installation.

Your question is about the towels needed to maintain the coating after installation.

Two very different things because,

A: You need less towels.

B: The maintenance products are dramatically diluted versions of dedicated ceramic paint coating.

So to me, there's less urgency to immediately wash a towel used with a booster type spray-on product and the towels used to wipe off the actual high spots and do the final buff. Of course a person will dirty more towels for the installation of a coating due to the towles needed for the prep step of chemically stripping the paint thus you end up with enough dirty dedicated coating towels to do a small load.

But yeah... if I was just doing a maintenance wipe-down, (and I do these on our car that's coated), then I would not do a dedicated wash for 1, 2, maybe 3 towels.

I would however place these dirty towels in a clean dirty towel bin to keep them from becoming contaminated until I did have enough dirty towels to make a dedicated wash and dry load.

Again.. great question, thank you for asking it.

Typing out detailed answers that cover any and all bases causes me to think through all scenarios and keeps my writing tight and accurate.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber towels for ceramic paint coatings - How to care for - by Mike Phillips

I suppose I did go on a little tangent there. A little bit of free association regarding SiO2 based products and towels. I was picturing in my mind the possibility of small particles hardening in the nap of a mf towel when using a coating maintenance product, and whether those hardened particles, if in fact they existed, might stay in the towel after a wash or even cross contaminate into other towels in the wash load and end up scratching paint down the line.

Thank you Mike. I appreciate your clear articles that not only simplify a process but explain the reasoning behind that process.

Mike Phillips

I was picturing in my mind the possibility of small particles hardening in the nap of a mf towel when using a coating maintenance product, and whether those hardened particles, if in fact they existed, might stay in the towel after a wash or even cross contaminate into other towels in the wash load and end up scratching paint down the line.
    That's a question a lot of people have and wonder.

I think with "booster" type products it's really a non-issue. That's just me though...

Thank you Mike. I appreciate your clear articles that not only simplify a process but explain the reasoning behind that process.

Appreciate it. I try to type like I would talk to people if they were right in front of me and take into consideration that not everyone knows everything and not everyone even wants to know everything...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A very good detailed article on the proper way to clean , maintain and store good quality microfiber towels. Most guy’s I know don’t know the proper way to treat quality microfiber towels, they just throw them out and get new ones. In my opinion you have to have quality tools to do quality work. I always enjoy reading your articles very informative and helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for a very easy to follow article. After seeing how so many others take care of towels after coating wondered who had the best routine.
    Your article was EZ to follow and most important gave reasons why to follow each step. Makes perfect sense to me.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by zero11 View Post

A very good detailed article on the proper way to clean , maintain and store good quality microfiber towels.

Most guy’s I know don’t know the proper way to treat quality microfiber towels, they just throw them out and get new ones. In my opinion you have to have quality tools to do quality work.

I always enjoy reading your articles very informative and helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to chime in and share your comments...

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post

Thanks for a very easy to follow article. After seeing how so many others take care of towels after coating wondered who had the best routine.

Your article was EZ to follow and most important gave reasons why to follow each step.

Makes perfect sense to me.

AND.... we used the same towels fresh out of that storage container last night for the Monster Jeep project using GTechniq Panel Wipe and Crystal Serum and then I immediately washed them and they are still in the dryer waiting to be inspected, folded and stored for the next coating project.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    Whoa, that dryer is old, I haven't seen one of those in, well I don't even remember..lol

Great write up, I like that coating

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    My parents have never had to replace their electric dryer in their house. It’s older than me, 37 plus years old, tan/yellow in color

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post

My parents have never had to replace their electric dryer in their house.

It’s older than me, 37 plus years old, tan/yellow in color

I hope you didn't just jinx it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I hope you didn't just jinx it...

I’ll have my dad snap a photo

Post Thanks / Like

Great article Mike, very practical advice. I've thought a bit about this recently and wonder what your take is on towels used for SiO2 maintenance products such as CarPro Reload, Gyeon Cure, etc. It seems a little inefficient to get a soak bucket ready and do a small load of laundry each time you maintain your coated car with one of these products, especially if you use them as a drying aid for every wash. Thoughts?
    Do towels get stiff and ruined from those sio2 maintenance products too?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast