autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Test drive - NEW RUPES Mille and Rotary Buffer by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R View Post

Thanks, Mike. I have not detailed since the mid to early 80's when I was in high school and detailed used cars for a Toyota dealership. $200 per car and I thought I was rich, LOL.

Just trying to do as much research as I can before I make a purchase and of course not spent a fortune.
    Nothing wrong with doing research first, there are so many great options and the market today. I know before I make a purchase I do my research also and often times that leads me to someone's article. Then I research the person to see if they're credible.

I really enjoyed your write up,

"Here's what you need to get into machine polishing"

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Thank you.

Out of all the articles I wrote in 2017 I think that one was the most information rich for people new to machine polishing and trying to figure out which polisher to invest in and not make a mistake.

For those reading this into the future, here's the link to that article,

Here's what you need to get into machine polishing - Recommendations for a beginner by Mike Phillips

The article I wrote that I think is actually the most important for everyone to read, be they absolute newbies to seasoned veterans is this one,

How, why & when to inspect your microfiber towels when detailing cars

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: Test drive - NEW RUPES Mille and Rotary Buffer by Mike Phillips

Mike, I really appreciate your help today. I think for my needs the GG6/5"LC backing plate, GG3, and GG2 conversion kit would be best for my needs. Just needs to find the best pads for GG6/5"LC backing plate, GG3, and GG2 conversion kit. I am sure the Mille is a fantastic machine but for my needs it is probably best to go for the best bang for buck. I hope I don't regret decision. I will probally ask another dumb question again and thanks for your patience.

Thanks again.

Mark

Mike Phillips

Mike, I really appreciate your help today. I think for my needs the GG6/5"LC backing plate, GG3, and GG2 conversion kit would be best for my needs. Just needs to find the best pads for GG6/5"LC backing plate, GG3, and GG2 conversion kit. I am sure the Mille is a fantastic machine but for my needs it is probably best to go for the best bang for buck. I hope I don't regret decision. I will probally ask another dumb question again and thanks for your patience.

Thanks again.

Mark

No such thing as a dumb questions.... we ALL started out in the same place and that's knowing NOTHING.

Including yours truly.

4. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Thanks again.

Mark

No such thing as a dumb questions.... we ALL started out in the same place and that's knowing NOTHING.

Including yours truly.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

Including yours truly.

Is it possible to just use the Mille for all steps on paint correction while trying to get the new rupes rotary? Or will it not leave a perfect finish?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by JICs Auto Detail View Post

Is it possible to just use the Mille for all steps on paint correction while trying to get the new rupes rotary?

Or will it not leave a perfect finish?
    Yes.

Most people don’t need a rotary and even if you have one for most paint and most people you want to finish out with an orbital to guarantee a hologram-free finish.

I say pull the trigger and also get the matching pads and productts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JICs Auto Detail View Post
    Is it possible to just use the Mille for all steps on paint correction while trying to get the new rupes rotary? Or will it not leave a perfect finish?
    I can attest that the Mille leaves a stunning finish! It has a different feel from a free random orbital, though. You can definitely feel the rotation of it. It's very smooth with the short throw, but it cuts well because of the forced rotation.
    I went to town on my MINI with it. I had polished it last Fall, but had some defects and marring left. My fault for not cleaning my pads enough. Lesson learned! I did a test spot with a Mille 5" yellow pad and yellow Mille compound. I was originally planning to go over it again with the White ultra fine polish on a white pad, but my first step left such a gloss that I was blown away. Seal it with the Rupes P808. Waited a day, and topped it with Pinnacle Soveran Spray wax. Amazing.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys,
    Super confused... planning to add 15mk2 or rupes mille... now I am so far a rotary user and 3" shinemate polisher.. I keep my approach cautious with rotary but still dont want to burn paint so always I settle up at 80-90% correction results and still expects for more better finish. now having no experience of mille or mk2 which will still suit my need?
    TIA

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by desidetailer View Post

Guys,

Super confused... planning to add 15mk2 or rupes mille...

now I am so far a rotary user and 3" shinemate polisher.. I keep my approach cautious with rotary but still dont want to burn paint so always I settle up at 80-90% correction results and still expects for more better finish.

now having no experience of mille or mk2 which will still suit my need?

TIA

If you're doing your correction work with a rotary and all you're wanting and needing an orbital for is to insure a hologram-free finish, then either would work as they are both orbitals.

If it's speed you're after, then go with the Mille as gear-driven means zero pad stalling no matter the shape of the panel or how you hold the tool.

Whichever tool you go with, I would highly recommend getting the matching RUPES pads and products and first become an expert with their system and then if you desire, experiment with other pads and products. Their system works so use it as the benchmark for any non-RUPES pads and products.

11. Thanks desidetailer thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    If you're doing your correction work with a rotary and all you're wanting and needing an orbital for is to insure a hologram-free finish, then either would work as they are both orbitals.

If it's speed you're after, then go with the Mille as gear-driven means zero pad stalling no matter the shape of the panel or how you hold the tool.

Whichever tool you go with, I would highly recommend getting the matching RUPES pads and products and first become an expert with their system and then if you desire, experiment with other pads and products. Their system works so use it as the benchmark for any non-RUPES pads and products.

Aahh thanks so much Mike...

But guess you are little late to reply..
    Couldnot miss the memorial day sale on autogeek, so after searching the forum. I ordered myself 12-15 boss mf and other pads and products (as other members suggested it works best on long throw polishers) as I almost convinced myself to 15mk2, which I am yet to buy�� will use rupes pads and polish first that comes along the kit.
    I guess for now 15mk2 makes a better choice along with my existing rotary?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast