autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: NEW FLEX Cordless Polishers!

Quote Originally Posted by paul914 View Post
    Hopefully Im not veering too far off of the original intent of this post.

It seems you have experience with the corded version, but according to this review the corded version is basically a wax spreader itself:

FLEX XFE 7-15 REVIEW - YouTube

Even with updates in the video comments as recent as a week ago, the reviewer seems to indicate that it is insufficient for cutting compared to Rupes and other brands. I haven't used the XFE-7 15 corded or cordless, but in searching online it seems that some other reviews agree with the CarCraft Review. In my opinion that is disappointing if its true.
    The Rupes 15 Mark II and the XFE-7 were close in power. I had both of these machines at the same time. The Rupes was a little more powerful. You do have to use higher settings but the XFE-7 gets the job done. This battery version has me a little concerned. It really bothered me when I saw a rotary and XFE-7 as opened box returns on Autopia. The rotary I won't open until I try out the XFE.

If these things are really weak they aren't going to sell. I was hesitant in buying it when I thought it would work great, because of the price. A lot of money to get rid of a cord.
    2015 F-150 Crew Cab Lariat
    2016 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    The Rupes 15 Mark II and the XFE-7 were close in power. I had both of these machines at the same time. The Rupes was a little more powerful. You do have to use higher settings but the XFE-7 gets the job done. This battery version has me a little concerned. It really bothered me when I saw a rotary and XFE-7 as opened box returns on Autopia. The rotary I won't open until I try out the XFE.

If these things are really weak they aren't going to sell. I was hesitant in buying it when I thought it would work great, because of the price. A lot of money to get rid of a cord.
    It would be interesting to know if it works the same as the corded version. I heard the larger battery gives you the similar power to the corded version and the smaller battery gives a little less. These issues were covered in a recent review. This video may interest you, if you haven't seen it already.

YouTube

That being said, with a cord, I don't understand why buying the Flex XFE-7 150 makes sense over the Rupes 15 Mark II. They are basically the same price and with the Rupes having more power it seems like the Rupes would be the choice, unless I'm missing something.

Again, I know this post is intended to be about the cordless Flex tools and not a Rupes vs Flex comparison, so forgive me to veering off subject.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul914 View Post
    It would be interesting to know if it works the same as the corded version. I heard the larger battery gives you the similar power to the corded version and the smaller battery gives a little less. These issues were covered in a recent review. This video may interest you, if you haven't seen it already.

YouTube

That being said, with a cord, I don't understand why buying the Flex XFE-7 150 makes sense over the Rupes 15 Mark II. They are basically the same price and with the Rupes having more power it seems like the Rupes would be the choice, unless I'm missing something.

Again, I know this post is intended to be about the cordless Flex tools and not a Rupes vs Flex comparison, so forgive me to veering off subject.

I like trying different machines to find out which is going to cause me the absolute least amount of back pain. Not much difference between those two machines. I did however keep the Flex and sell the Rupes. The Flex felt a little more comfortable to me, it's about an inch shorter than the Rupes if I remember correctly.It's also probably the quietest machine I've ever operated. Overall not much difference between the two.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the links. I decided to hold off on the rotary at least until I make sure this machine has adequate power and make sure I'll still be able to use a DA.

I still may decide to go with the Rupes rotary because of the lower RPMs available. It I can't use a DA anymore the lower RPM may be helpful in finishing with a rotary and not getting holograms.

While 550.00 is still a lot of money to get rid of a cord if the machine has adequate power it will be worth it to me. It actually will save a little bending and twisting.

5. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

***Update***

When I first received the new FLEX XFE Cordless Polisher, it was at SEMA in 2018 as a give from Bob Eichelberg, the President of FLEX North America. My initial thoughts when it came to choosing a pad "style" for this type of polisher defaulted to,

Thin is in

I coined that term in this industry in 2010 here. I think I made the mistake we can all make and that was to assume that simple due to their lower mass, thin pads would be easier to maintain pad rotation with this tool than thick pads. So that's how I started out using it. Now with more time behind the tools, I'm finding our old friend inertia to be not only our friend but an important factor for maintaining pad rotation. I have found the larger, 6.5" Hybrid polishing and finishing pads to actually work well with this machine. While this goes against my natural instincts when matching pads to tool actions, these larger, thicker pads to seem to work well with this tool.

Give them a try, post what you experience.

7. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    ***Update***

When I first received the new FLEX XFE Cordless Polisher, it was at SEMA in 2018 as a give from Bob Eichelberg, the President of FLEX North America. My initial thoughts when it came to choosing a pad "style" for this type of polisher defaulted to,

Thin is in

I coined that term in this industry in 2010 here. I think I made the mistake we can all make and that was to assume that simple due to their lower mass, thin pads would be easier to maintain pad rotation with this tool than thick pads. So that's how I started out using it. Now with more time behind the tools, I'm finding our old friend inertia to be not only our friend but an important factor for maintaining pad rotation. I have found the larger, 6.5" Hybrid polishing and finishing pads to actually work well with this machine. While this goes against my natural instincts when matching pads to tool actions, these larger, thicker pads to seem to work well with this tool.

Give them a try, post what you experience.

Par for the coarse. The day I get my order with a dozen HDO pads you post this lol. Actually tif the Hybrids work well I would think the HDOs will as well. Actually got them for the Rupes and Griot's 21 mm machines, planed on using the Boss pads on the cordless DA. I may have to Oder a few hybrids to try out too.

9. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    Par for the coarse. The day I get my order with a dozen HDO pads you post this lol. Actually tif the Hybrids work well I would think the HDOs will as well. Actually got them for the Rupes and Griot's 21 mm machines, planed on using the Boss pads on the cordless DA. I may have to Oder a few hybrids to try out too.
    It never ends, Dave. Lol
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

11. Likes DaveT435 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The more and more I think about it. The more so I really want these tools.

UGH!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    It never ends, Dave. Lol
    Amen to that. Maybe it's a good thing they didn't use the gift certificate numbers I put in the comment box when I bought the Rupes 21. lol

14. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: NEX FLEX Cordless Polishers!

Quote Originally Posted by brettS4 View Post

So, two batteries included with battery life of 30-40 minutes with an equal charging time.

Not bad.

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by brettS4 View Post

But no forced rotation unit.

Fast forward from November, 2017 when I created this thread to today, July 26th, 2019 and they are announced to be here in September.

Look here,

NEW FLEX XCE 3401 Corded and Cordless Polishers!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345