autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

If it's on your skin it's in you - Renny Doyle - Heavy Duty Orange Nitrile Gloves

If it's on your skin it's in you - Renny Doyle - Heavy Duty Orange Nitrile Gloves

My good friend Renny Doyle has a saying that I use all the time to educate people on health safety because what he says is true. I also always give due credit where credit is due....

If it's on your skin it's in you - Renny Doyle

I used to not wear gloves all the time but now anytime time I'm using any of the products that use some form of advanced chemistry, (like coatings), I try to always wear gloves. I don't know what's inside all these hi-tech products that last and last and last.... but whatever it is I don't what it inside of me.

Here's an example from a how-to article I wrote last year where I'm going to have my hands ALL OVER a convertible top spreading and working a chemical called into the weave of the cloth top.... I don't know what's in Ciba Tinuvin but I certainly don't want it in me. (I do want it pushed into the weave a convertible top though)

In fact, if you read the below article I say the same thing in post #4

NEW Haartz/RaggTopp Convertible Top Brush - How to clean and protect a convertible top

Here's a small excerpt from the above article showing why I wear gloves when "touching" chemicals...

Spray protectant onto all convertible top surfaces
    Don't worry if you get the product onto paint or glass, it will wipe off easily with a microfiber towel.

Here's the convertible top completely coated with a wet application of the RaggTopp Fabric Protectant.

The Mike Phillips Method for applying RaggTopp Fabric Protectant
    The directions state to allow the protectant to dry after application. What I noticed is the product tends to sit on top of the fabric like morning dew on the paint of your car in the morning.

Massage product into the fabric
    What I like to do is gently massage the RaggTopp Fabric Protectant into the fabric and into the weave.

The costly ingredient in RaggTopp Fabric Protectant is called Ciba Tinuvin. I don't know exactly what this ingredient is but I know I don't want it on my skin - so were protective nitrile gloves for this step.

Lots of tips for washing, drying and protecting in this full write-up

NEW Haartz/RaggTopp Convertible Top Brush - How to clean and protect a convertible top

When it comes to your safety, THIN nitrile gloves tear and rip too easily for me to waste time with. The gloves I'm wearing in the above article are thick and strong. If you tear one of these gloves open you are probably doing something that has pushed the strength of the glove past its technological limit and that's just life. So remove it and replace it and move on with your project.

Orange Heavy Duty Nitrile Gloves

A box of 100 gloves is $19.00 that makes each glove .19 cents or a pair of gloves to protect your hands and your innards would be .38 cents

That's cheap health insurance over the long run.

If you're in this for the long run, that is you're going to be detailing cars or doing anything where you're working with chemicals, then you can order these gloves by the case. There's only a penny per glove savings so not a huge financial incentive but more of the point of having plenty of inventory on hand. Your budge, your call.

Here's a tip...

Order a size larger than you would normally wear as it makes putting the gloves on faster and easier, especially if it's hot out and you're sweating. In most cases the glove will still be snug around your finger tips and that's all you need for most types of work. I wear the XL size gloves so I get the XXL gloves to wear.

On Autogeek.com

By the box

Medium Orange Heavy Duty Nitrile Gloves - Box of 100

Large Orange Heavy Duty Nitrile Gloves - Box of 100

X Large Orange Heavy Duty Nitrile Gloves - Box of 100

XX Large Orange Heavy Duty Nitrile Gloves - Box of 100

By the case

Medium Orange Heavy Duty Nitrile Gloves - Case of 10 = 1000 gloves

Large Orange Heavy Duty Nitrile Gloves - Case of 10 = 1000 gloves

X Large Orange Heavy Duty Nitrile Gloves - Case of 10 = 1000 gloves

XX Large Orange Heavy Duty Nitrile Gloves - Case of 10 = 1000 gloves

Stay safe my friends...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: If it's on your skin it's in you - Renny Doyle - Heavy Duty Orange Nitrile Gloves

I was reading a recent article talking about drug absorption through latex gloves. Fentanyl was able to absorbed through the latex in some cases. The article recommended using Nitrile instead of latex. Let's hope none of us are near fentanyl when detailing. Although I have found strange things under seats before.

My biggest problem is using strong APC's and other cleaners that dry out my hands. The gloves really help preventing this.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: If it's on your skin it's in you - Renny Doyle - Heavy Duty Orange Nitrile Gloves

Best. Gloves. Ever.

Another nice benefit of the gloves' diamond texture is it helps to amplify above surface contaminants letting you know if it's time to clay. I stumbled upon this while performing WW

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the safety aspect of things. I wear nitrile gloves all the time when playing with products. I don't enjoy wearing a dust mask but I value my lungs and dont' want to find 20yrs from now I have COPD or something worse from inhaling product during the removal stage.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

As a chemist, it is imperative to know the limits of your personal protective equipment (PPE). Glove manufacturers have compatibility charts for their products. View the charts and choose your PPE appropriately.

With that said, you should NOT use nitrile gloves when handling products containing any ketone, such as acetone or methyl ethyl ketone, methylene chloride, or trichloroethylene. Chlorinated solvents such as methylene chloride, trichloroethylene, and perchloroethylene are still used in some spray brake cleaners, degreasers, and in dry cleaning. Viton gloves are usually the appropriate choice when handling chlorinated solvents.

Avoid mixing products for application unless you know the ingredients are fully compatible with your PPE. A glove might be compatible with one product's ingredients, but not another product's ingredients. That glove choice has now allowed for a potential exposure to both (or more) products' ingredients.

Chemical permeation of gloves can occur without noticing any physical change to the glove.

When in doubt, read the safety data sheets for the product or contact the product's manufacturer for the appropriate PPE recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using AGOnline

6. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by A5IS View Post

As a chemist, it is imperative to know the limits of your personal protective equipment (PPE). Glove manufacturers have compatibility charts for their products. View the charts and choose your PPE appropriately.

With that said, you should NOT use nitrile gloves when handling products containing any ketone, such as acetone or methyl ethyl ketone, methylene chloride, or trichloroethylene. Chlorinated solvents such as methylene chloride, trichloroethylene, and perchloroethylene are still used in some spray brake cleaners, degreasers, and in dry cleaning.

Viton gloves are usually the appropriate choice when handling chlorinated solvents.

Thanks for chiming in.... I always appreciate the input of a real chemist.