autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Review: SCANGRIP Matchpen Swirl Finder Light - Intense Swirl Exposer in a compact size by Mike Phillips

Review: SCANGRIP Matchpen Swirl Finder Light - Intense Swirl Exposer in a compact size by Mike Phillips

SCANGRIP Matchpen Swirl Finder Light

Yeah yeah yeah... I know what some of you are thinking...

It's a flashlight

Wrongo Buffalo Breath - It's a swirl Finder Light and a damn good one too. I still like the SCANGRIP Sunmatch swirl finder light you see me use on Comepetition Ready but I like this one because it's the size of a Sharpie marker and for that reason easy to pack around in my pocket or in door map pocket of my truck.

Let's take a look at what's in the box and then we'll take a look at this lightening in your hand and I'll let the pictures do the talking...

Here's the light on the matte black hood of this old 2-door Plymouth....

Nice presentation....

The battery anti-drain device
    After removing from the box, remove the cap off the back and then remove the battery anti-drain device (the small round piece of cardboard between the end of the battery and the spring in the cap). Then replace the cap and the light is now ready to use.

Here's our victim car... a 1971 Plymouth Duster in Lemon Drop Yellow

This is a bad ass muscle car, I'll show you the motor later, but she's racer for sure. Problem is... the paint is all jacked-up. By jacked-up I mean it looks horrible because not only is it dull and lifeless but it's compleely filled with swirls and scratches.

1971 Plymouth Duster in Lemon Drop Yellow

Here's lightening in your hand...

And here's how this tool works....

I'm trying to remove the swirls by grabbing them with my fingers...

Yeah this isn't working. Guess I'll have to do some machine compounding and polishing...

With the overhead florescent lights you can see the damage and the dull appearance....

You can also see orange peel...

Wicked bad hood and hood scoop... and this was the style back in 1971 - Guess there's nothing new under the sun...

SCANGRIP Matchpen lighting up flat black...

Here's the graphics on the back of the car...

By lighting them up you can see the matte finish is simply dull and neglected looking...

This muscle car has what's called a Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter

This was cool back in its day...

This car needs an EXTREME SHOW CAR MAKEOVER to get it Competition Ready!

Final thoughts...

Get one.

On Autogeek.com

SCANGRIP Matchpen Light

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: SCANGRIP Matchpen Swirl Finder Light - Intense Swirl Exposer in a compact size by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

The battery anti-drain device
    After removing from the box, remove the cap off the back and then remove the battery anti-drain device (the small round piece of cardboard between the end of the battery and the spring in the cap). Then replace the cap and the light is now ready to use.

Great write up Mike. Saved me from writing my own . I like this little attention to detail from scangrip. Mine worked right out of the box when I received mine on a previous order. Unlike the Rupes pen light which came with dead batteries as it does not have this little anti-drain device. Thanks for pointing out this little detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Get one.

I agree. Great little light to have. Very portable and light weight.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: SCANGRIP Matchpen Swirl Finder Light - Intense Swirl Exposer in a compact size by Mike Phillips

I am curious how this light performs against the Rupes and Flex swirl finder lights. I have both and use the Flex more frequently. Does anyone know of a comparison?

Post Thanks / Like

C'mon Mike, that Hurst shifter is STILL cool!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by osiapstndp View Post
    I am curious how this light performs against the Rupes and Flex swirl finder lights. I have both and use the Flex more frequently. Does anyone know of a comparison?
    Between the Rupes and Scangrip pen light, it's a toss up. The light is slightly white from the Rupes light. It is also a tad brighter. If you are a Rupes fan and want it for the Rupes name then get it. Other than that they both perform well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Between the Rupes and Scangrip pen light, it's a toss up. The light is slightly white from the Rupes light. It is also a tad brighter. If you are a Rupes fan and want it for the Rupes name then get it. Other than that they both perform well.
    Good information. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

I received mine today, this little light packs a real punch!!!
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I just received my Scangrip Matchpen light the other day and it clearly out does my LED light I was using... I was using a 400 lumen LED light, but it seems the Scangrip is a whiter looking light. I try to look at the paint under various lighting such as my fluorescent shop lights, LED, etc. The hardest thing to find were the light holograms I left with the Flex PE 8 and a 1" pad. I didn't see them until I used the Scangrip light.
    Very good product and if you are looking to pull the trigger on a good swirl finder, the Scangrip Matchpen Light is definitely worth buying.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lehr View Post

I just received my Scangrip Matchpen light the other day and it clearly out does my LED light I was using... I was using a 400 lumen LED light, but it seems the Scangrip is a whiter looking light. I try to look at the paint under various lighting such as my fluorescent shop lights, LED, etc.

Thanks for sharing...

The hardest thing to find were the light holograms I left with the Flex PE 8 and a 1" pad.

I didn't see them until I used the Scangrip light.
    I agree - finding holograms left by small pads, usually on thin panels is tough, especially on light colors. What helps me is to hold the light out a ways from the paint, for some reason this helps to reveal the tale-tale signs of holograms.

Very good product and if you are looking to pull the trigger on a good swirl finder, the Scangrip Matchpen Light is definitely worth buying.

I take one with me to all my roadshow classes.