autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Mike Phillips

Meguiars D156 Synthetic X-press Spray Wax vs Meguiar's UQW - Are they the same product?

Meguiars D156 Synthetic X-press Spray Wax vs Meguiar's UQW - Are they the same product?

Meguiars D156 Synthetic X-press Spray Wax vs Meguiar's UQW

vs

Anytime I get questions via e-mail, a PM or a FB message I prefer to invest my typing time where

A: It's easier for me to share links, pictures and videos.

B: More people can read and thus benefit from the information. (not just one set of eyeballs)

So I get an e-mail asking,

D156 vs Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax - Are they the same product?

Can you answer the question of these two products. Are they the same product. I'm getting mixed info from many sources.

You used to work for them so I am pretty sure you can answer that question.

Thank you.

Sent from iPhone

Great question Victor. And "yes" I did work for Meguiar's for a total of 11 years. First I was an outside sales rep and trainer in Oregon, Washington and Idaho where I was horrible at sales but I excelled at calling on body shops, dealerships and detail shops and teaching primarily guys that worked in these three segments of the car appearance industry how to use a "System Approach" to create a show car finish. Then I worked as the Corporate Write taking over the writing responsibilities of Barry Meguiar from 2002 to 2004. From 2002 to 2009 I was the primary instructor for the Saturday Detailing 101 Classes, the Advanced Classes, the Thursday Night Open Garage classes, (TNOGS), the Meguiar's Roadshow Classes, the Extreme Makeover classes and the Showcar Makeover Classes. In 2004 I brought up and ran the MeguiarsOnline.com car detailing discussion forum and ran it until 2009. To this date I still have the highest post count and the largest number of how-to articles on that forum.

Then in 2009 I came to Autogeek to for or less duplicate the job duties I did for Meguiar's plus host 2 TV shows and be the guest expert on about 5 other TV shows. I enjoyed a great time at Meguiar's and learned a lot of valuable lessons under the various managers I worked under including, Jack Birkby, Dick Koth, John Dillon and Mike Pennington as well as Barry Meguiar. Due credit where credit is due.

Now on to your question. My first thoughts however are,

What if they are the same product? Is that a problem?

One is available RTU or Ready To Use in a consumer friendly size with catching packaging for display on the shelves of retail stores. That's a good thing. The average Joe Consumer that is looking for a spray on wax will look at the label and the words will tell them what the product is and what the product does and the packaging, that is the color of the bottle and the label colors and design screams of a high quality product and the name Meguiar's is synonymous with high quality and customer satisfaction.

The other is available in a one-gallon jug that is also RTU. The one-gallon size is targeted at detailers and car washes where volume work is performed and it's normal for product manufacturers to offer products in bulk sizes.

Saving money

By purchasing the product by the gallon there's a huge cost-per-ounce savings. Just doing the simple math using the prices I currently captured on both store pages for both product,

15 once bottle is $11.00
    1 gallon jug is $30.00

If we round the 15.2 ounce bottle to 16 ounces then it's a lot easier to do the math. 16 will go into 128 8 times. 8 x $11.00 = $88.00 So if you purchase the gallon jug it's like getting 8 bottles for $30.00 and you save $50.00

The descriptions for both products sound about the same so chances are while they may not be 100% the exact same formula any differences from a practical point of view are negligible because they do the same thing. Just one is packaged for Joe Consumer that lives and purchases products in the retail world and the other is packaged for professionals in the detailing and car washing industry as well as savvy shoppers that hang out in the car detailing blogosphere and do their research.

As for your sources and conflicting information? That's the norm for any topic and I would say even more common in the Facebook world as everyone with phone and a thumb is an expert with an opinion. On this forum at least I'm accountable for ever word I post so I aim for 100% accuracy and think my record of posing how-to information in the forum world since 2002 and the Internet overall since 1994 stands the test of time.

Here's what the AG store webpage for this product states about this product,

Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax

Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax features Meguiars Hydrophobic Polymer Technology to give your vehicle’s paint unparalleled protection and gloss. The polymer-based spray wax can be applied in direct sunlight on hot surfaces with no streaking or white residues. Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax offers the longest lasting protection available in a spray wax from Meguiars!

Finally, you can get the deep, glossy reflections and paint protection of a quality synthetic wax from a spray wax! Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax uses Hydrophobic Polymer Technology to repel water like you’d expect from a paste wax. The easy-on liquid formula bonds to the paint and holds on better than any other Meguiars spray wax thanks to this revolutionary polymer technology. You have to try it!

Another huge benefit of Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax is its versatility. Use it anywhere and in direct sunlight with no problems. The clear liquid spray wax contains no VOCs and dries perfectly transparent. It does not stain trim! Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax is never tough to buff. Just spray it on and wipe to a brilliant shine. Flip the towel for a final buff. That’s it!

Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax can be used alone for paint protection, but it also makes a great maintenance wax for existing base coats. For example, if your vehicle has Meguiars NXT Generation Tech Wax, you can use Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax to reinforce the polymer protection after regular washing.

Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax will leave the paint slick to the touch with a wonderful gloss, much like you’d expect from a liquid or paste wax. Use Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax any time you want to experience incredible gloss and relentless water beading… fast!

Here's what the AG store webpage for this product states about this product,

Meguiars D156 Synthetic X-press Spray Wax

Meguiars Synthetic X-press™ Spray Wax is the quick way to add depth, gloss, and protection to any vehicle! Spray it on and wipe to reveal a rich gloss that will stand up to the elements. Meguiars Synthetic X-press™ Spray Wax is the perfect car wax for high volume detail shops or for the busy do-it-yourselfer.

The folks at Meguiars are experts when it comes to fulfilling the needs of professional detailers. Meguiars Synthetic X-press™ Spray Wax is exactly what a pro needs to add shine and protection to a finished vehicle without spending a lot of time waxing. In just a few minutes, you can wax an entire vehicle with Meguiars Synthetic X-press™ Spray Wax, no matter the size of the vehicle!

Apply Meguiars Synthetic X-press™ Spray Wax to wet or dry vehicles. A quick wipe-down with Meguiars Synthetic X-press™ Spray Wax after washing the car is a great way to prevent water spots and protect the paint in one step. Hydrophobic Polymer Technology™ allows moisture to bead and roll off the waxed paint.

There's no need to avoid plastic trim! Meguiars Synthetic X-press™ Spray Wax dries clear on plastic trim - no staining! Just spray and wipe.

Meguiars Synthetic X-press™ Spray Wax can be applied in direct sunlight. If you do your detailing in the sunshine, now you can apply this quality car wax in the sun and it will wipe off instantly. This feature is great for mobile detailers, too.

Meguiars Synthetic X-press™ Spray Wax is packaged ready-to-use in a gallon bottle. For the easiest application, get yourself a 32 oz. Meguiars Mirror Glaze Professional Spray Bottle.

Meguiars Synthetic X-press™ Spray Wax is the fast way to give a vehicle durable protection and a deep, reflective shine.

128 oz.

I never write for the moment - I always write for the future, so for forum member and ever lurkers that will read this thread into the future, these are both great spray on waxes and here's the link where you can get either one or both.

Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax - $10.99 for the 15.2 ounce bottle

Meguiars D156 Synthetic X-press Spray Wax $29.99 for the 128 ounce jug which is one-gallon

Hope that helps...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meguiars D156 Synthetic X-press Spray Wax vs Meguiar's UQW - Are they the same product?

I used the OTC right before I found AGO, then got the D156. Same results to me, just smell different. I do prefer the smell of the OTC!

Mike Phillips

Re: Meguiars D156 Synthetic X-press Spray Wax vs Meguiar's UQW - Are they the same product?

and....

Years ago I shared a technique for using a spray wax as a wax, not a drying aid.

Here's my first article dated: Oct 19th, 2004, 06:29 PM

How To Get Great Results With Meguiar's Spray Wax!

And here's my second article dated: Nov 14th, 2008, 08:33 AM

The secret to applying Ultimate Quik Wax

The information in both articles is just as accurate today as it was when I wrote it.

Mike Phillips

And here's some trivia....

Back in the early days of discussion forums, there was confusion over the benefits of a spray-on wax. Somewhere on Autopia is a thread where a person stated they had NOT kept up the maintenance eon their car's finish for years and the car was a daily driver.

They purchased the Meguiar's spray wax and after washing their car sprayed it on, wipe it off and was disappointed in the results. They blamed the product.

The problem was not the product, the product works as advertised. The problem was the person because they did not do their research and as such chose the wrong product for the job-at-hand. What the person needed for the neglected paint on their daily driver was at a minimum a one-step cleaner/wax applied with a little passion behind the pad (if applying by hand), not a spray-on, wipe-off wax.

I chimed in on that thread and cleared up the confusion and made recommendations for the correct product and the correct technique for using it to bring the paint back from the dead.

I also then went to management and strongly recommended adding two words to the label of the NXT Spray Wax and also the maroon bottle spray wax called Quik Wax and those words were,

Booster Wax

I tell that story here in post #5 back in October of 2004

Meguiar's Quik Wax

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Either of Meguiar`s two spray wax products work excellent by restoring a deep, rich, just-waxed look to your car`s finish. The trick to using a Meguiar`s Spray Wax and getting great results is primarily in your application technique. It`s also very important that you`re applying it to a painted finish in the right condition. The right condition is a finish that is in new or like-new condition and already has a good base-coat of wax on it. This is one of the reasons we coined the term, "Booster Wax" for the front label on NXT Tech Wax. The idea behind the term is to imply that Meguiar`s Spray Waxes are product to be used on finishes that already have wax protection, not on neglected finishes in need of claying, cleaning and polishing.

When used on finishes already in great shape, either of Meguiar`s spray waxes in the automotive lines will quickly and easily add a deep, wet shine and restore that just waxed look in most cases faster than you can apply and remove a traditional paste or liquid wax. This is partially because this is a very thin product that wipes on and spreads out easily, and also because properly applied to the correct condition finish, it wipes of very easily and quickly with a premium quality microfiber polishing cloth or 100% cotton, terry cloth towel.

One of these days I should write a Coffee Table book called,

The history of car detailing

And share our rich and interesting history.

Mike Phillips

When writing an article using anything that is a SPRAY-ON product I always try to take the pictures that shows the spray coming out of the bottle, not sure why, just something I do.

Here's an example from a recent review for

Jay Leno Garage - All Purpose Cleaner and Interior Detailer Review by Mike Phillips

Looks like I did this same thing back when I was at Meguiar's, this is actually my daughter spraying some NXT Spray Wax

Mike Phillips

And now....

I'll get the link to this thread/article and send it to the guy that sent me the e-mail so he can read my answers.

For anyone sending me an e-mail or a PM or a Facebook message in the future, thank you for your trust in asking me for information but do be aware that I tend to answer question on the forum as it's a better medium for all reasons while e-mail, PM's and FB messages are just to limited with what I can share and because only one set of eyeballs will ever see the information and that's simply not a good investment of my typing time.