autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Patented UV Protection - Optimum Car Wax - by Dr. Ghodoussi at Autogeek.com

Patented UV Protection - Optimum Car Wax - by Dr. Ghodoussi at Autogeek.com

Optimum Car Wax

A chemist that also worked for car paint companies to create modern clearcoat paints
    Dr. David Ghodoussi is a PhD Organic Chemist and his background includes working for many of the major paint companies that make automotive car paints. He was one of the chemists that helped to create modern clearcoat/basecoat paint technology back in the 1980's.

Optimum Car Wax
    Dr. Ghodoussi has a product called Optimum Car Wax which uses a patented UV protection ingredient and process that offers the same UV protection as the UV protection ingredients used in the actual clear layer of paint on your car. Dr. Ghodoussi also told me that Ford Motor Company did long term testing of protection products and documented that this product actually lived up to the claim and offered true UV protection for automotive clearcoats.

Plus, while I know most people think a spray on wax is a glorified spray detailer, this particular wax really does leave the UV protection ingredients on the surface and if I remember correctly with repeated use the key ingredients migrate into the paint resin to some level.

I asked Dr. Ghodoussi why he didn't bring this out as a traditional paste or liquid wax and he told me that the best and perhaps the only way to suspend the key ingredients was using a thin liquid formula and that's why this product is a spray-on product.

If your car is a daily driver and especially a daily driver parked outside every day and even more especially if you live in a geographical location that has extended and even extreme exposure to the sun, like for example you live near the equator, then get this product and use it.

My recommendation
    Before using this product the paint should be clean and smooth. If your car's paint is not clean and smooth and also defect free then prep the paint first by,

1. Washing
    2. Claying
    3. Compounding (if needed to remove deep swirls and scratches)
    4. Polishing
    5. Then apply Optimum Spray Wax

And this is key...

USE IT OFTEN.

At least use it often on the horizontal surface like the roof, hood and trunk lid as these are the surfaces that take a beating every day from the sun. Think about it.... if you walk around any parking lots filled with cars the panels you most often see clearcoat failure are the hood, roof and trunk lids because these are the areas that sunburned everyday.

A quick simple routine is what you need
    Washing and waxing your car correctly will take you a couple of hours easy.... but think outside the box. Purchase a quality spray detailer, waterless wash or rinseless wash and wipe down the horizontal surfaces and then apply the spray wax. This will take you around 20 minutes if you do a good job. This small time investment will protect and maintain your car's horizontal surfaces with patented UV protection. Then later on the weekend or when you have time wash and wax the entire car.

Get and take care of a nice collection of microfiber towels when you order the Optimum Spray Wax

What is touching your car's paint?
    It' is the towel that touches the paint. I recommend purchasing a 12 pack of towels and the DEDICATE these towels for NOTHING but for use with this spray wax on your favorite ride. Get a dedicated laundry basket for the garage for ONLY THESE TOWELS. Keep them off the ground. Wash them together. Dry them together. Store them someplace they will NOT get contaminated and then every time you go to apply and wipe off the wax you won't scratch your car's precious thin paint.

Remember - it's what touches the paint that determines swirls and scratches.

12 Pack Sky Blue Edgeless Polishing Cloths

Make sense?

On Autogeek.com

Optimum Spray Wax

12 Pack Sky Blue Edgeless Polishing Cloths

Optimum No Rinse (ONR) Essentials Wash Kit - Everything you need to mix up your own waterless wash

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Patented UV Protection - Optimum Car Wax - by Dr. Ghodoussi at Autogeek.com

Great write up Mike! I have a couple bottles of OCW and I really like it.. Do you know if it really lasts for up to 5 months? I didn't test durability as I use many different products..

Post Thanks / Like

The OCW will hardly ever make it to the 5 month mark in my experience but based on my personal trucks 15 year old unrestored and still perfectly clear headlights, I do believe the UVA and UVB inhibitors will continue providing a degree of protection even when the hybrid spray wax/sealant appears completely gone when based solely on water behavior. This is purely my opinion based on my experience and I almost always use OCW as a topper after washing so I'm never applying it to surgically clean prepped paint. (I am actually halfway through my 4th gallon which is why I feel confident giving my opinion on OCW.lol)

4. Likes DogRescuer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike, UCW is also new paint safe as confirmed by Yvan.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by c7stingray View Post

Great write up Mike! I have a couple bottles of OCW and I really like it..

Do you know if it really lasts for up to 5 months? I didn't test durability as I use many different products..
    You know that's a great question but here's the BIG PICTURE

The product is fast and easy to apply after washing and drying your car, so instead of trying to wait for a blank amoutnof time before adding a fresh application, add a fresh application before it can be completely worn off. This is called,

Preventative Maintenance.

Kind of like we don't wait till the bearings in our car engines seize up before we change the oil, we change the oil while we know it's still functioning.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffM View Post

Hey Mike, UCW is also new paint safe as confirmed by Yvan.

Yeah but I'll stick with what I wrote on this topic of sealing BRAND NEW paint back in 2010 here, (first post)

Don't wax your car for at least 30 days!

And also in a follow-up post here,

My reply in post #34

Especially the part where I typed...

What's the hurry?

7. Likes AKT liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    The product is fast and easy to apply after washing and drying your car, so instead of trying to wait for a blank amount of time before adding a fresh application, add a fresh application before it can be completely worn off. This is called,

Preventative Maintenance.

Kind of like we don't wait till the bearings in our car engines seize up before we change the oil, we change the oil while we know it's still functioning.

Exactly!!

Post Thanks / Like

I live in the heat and my car is outside 24/7 so I plan on using something like this after my maintenance washes to help keep my paint from oxidizing and any damage to the clear coat, but although this product seems to be great for UV protection, how does it do at having a good amount of wax and proving a good deep gloss to the car ?

Post Thanks / Like

I LOVE this stuff...! I kind of stumble on this product by accident.

It will make your final polish work "pop" once you put this down.

Discovered this by accident on my personal car---a black Lexus GS 350. After a major compound, polish work earlier this spring, I've put down the Rupes P808 sealant. Car looks great---almost a glassy look.

At the 6 - 7 month point over summer, noticed car didn't did not have that "something" extra in the paint anymore. So went I ahead washed the car and reapplied Rupes P808. It looked great but it just did not have "it" like the first time around. I was kind of disappointed at the outcome. So the next day, I lightly washed off the light dusting that was on the car and still did not have "it". So out of frustration, grabbed the Optimum Car Wax and applied it over a freshly applied sealant from the day before and Lo and Behold---Black paint simply just "exploded" before my eyes. I was awe stricken...

That was few months ago and car still looks crisp and shinny today! I have used this OCW on several muscle cars since and it has that "little something" extra just enough to push the paint over the top.

It is is my go to product now...

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tom that's very good to hear. How often do you use OCW. I normally give a maintenance wash every other week to knock off all the loose dirt, pollen or whatever is flying around on the road. Is that too often to apply this or should i only use maybe once a month ? Its a daily driver always outside

Post Thanks / Like

You can do either one---after every wash or once a month. Won't hurt anything. Let your eyes be your guide.

I tend to wash once a month and I do apply each time. Also---if I am short on time, I'll skip the wax and get it on at the next wash.

This stuff good for 6 months according to manufacture. Longest I would go without using OCW would be no longer than 3 months. Just a personal preference...

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

13. Likes 01AUDI liked this post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast