autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: FLEX 3401 or RUPES? - A question I get asked a lot! -Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Lamented View Post

Mike I know for the PC 7424 you recommend a 5" backing plate and the 5.5"pads.

Is that the same recommendation for the Flex 3401 ?
    Myself and most of the car detailing world recommends the 5" backing plate for the PC and tools LIKE IT because these tools are safe, (that's a way of saying weak), and in order to get GREAT performance you need small diameter pads that are THIN.

That's why.

The FLEX 3401 is GEAR DRIVEN - It doesn't care one whit what size pad or how thick of a pad you put on it. Here's a quote...

The FLEX 3401 will turn and churn any pad and product - Mike Phillips

For the FLEX 3401 you want to use either the factory backing plate that COMES WITH IT or the Lake Country 4" backing plate adapter system.

Then you can turn and churn the 5" and 6.5" Lake Country Hybrid pads or the new Lake Country Force Pads.

What are you working on?

What are you trying to do?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Myself and most of the car detailing world recommends the 5" backing plate for the PC and tools LIKE IT because these tools are safe, (that's a way of saying weak), and in order to get GREAT performance you need small diameter pads that are THIN.

That's why.

The FLEX 3401 is GEAR DRIVEN - It doesn't care one whit what size pad or how thick of a pad you put on it. Here's a quote...

The FLEX 3401 will turn and churn any pad and product - Mike Phillips

For the FLEX 3401 you want to use either the factory backing plate that COMES WITH IT or the Lake Country 4" backing plate adapter system.

Then you can turn and churn the 5" and 6.5" Lake Country Hybrid pads or the new Lake Country Force Pads.

What are you working on?

What are you trying to do?

I have been out of the game for sometime. Planning on getting back into it. I own a 7424. Wanted to try something new. Using it for general purpose nothing crazy. You stated if you wanted to use a 4" Backing Plate you use the Lake Country. What about the one below? Would that work with the Lake Country pads?

FLEX XC3401 Mini 4.5 inch Backing Plate, FLEX

I understand you will cover more area with the larger pad but do you find working with the 5.5" pads more controllable?
    My next question was what pad brand to you suggest. But you have seemed to answer that. I know each situation may dictate a different approach. Machine/Pad/Compound/Polish/Wax etc.

Thank You for all your help and knowledge.

3. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been out of the game for sometime. Planning on getting back into it. I own a 7424. Wanted to try something new. Using it for general purpose nothing crazy. You stated if you wanted to use a 4" Backing Plate you use the Lake Country. What about the one below? Would that work with the Lake Country pads?

I understand you will cover more area with the larger pad but do you find working with the 5.5" pads more controllable?
    My next question was what pad brand to you suggest. But you have seemed to answer that. I know each situation may dictate a different approach. Machine/Pad/Compound/Polish/Wax etc.

This plate with the LC Force Hybrid pads is a winner. The stock plate w/ 6.5" Force pads is great for horizontal surfaces (Hood, Roof, Trunk) and then I'll usually switch to the smaller plate w/ the 5.5" Force pads for the sides. The only downside with the 6.5" pads/plate is that it's kinda unforgiving when pad not completely flat on surface, which is more prone to happen on vertical surfaces. The machine will literally take you for a ride in those cases.

Have a GG6, a Rupes LHR15 Mk 2, Rupes LHR75 and the Flex 3401; when I just wanna get the work done, the Flex comes out. When time is not an issue and I'm doing a more 'enjoyable' job (whatever that means) I will grab the Rupes. The Flex just plain gets things done although running the Flex for 6-8hrs can take its toll on an aged body.

For whatever reason I seem to prefer SMAT products w/ the Flex...Megs M101 w/ Orange (or even gray when things are really looking bad) can really cut through the issues in 4 passes and even finish pretty nicely for a heavy cut compound (on an orange pad). M101 w/ the gray pad can really stopm out the defects although the gray pads seem to wear a bit quickly when used in these situations...but they sure get the job done quickly.

But that's just me, no pro here but like quick (*most* of the time), effective results ...and the Flex delivers.

5. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

In my FLEX how-to book I cover all these questions.

Here's the nutshell version...

In the book I strongly recommend the Lake Country Hybrid pad line. They come in 6.5 and 5".

The back of the 5" pad has a 4" diameter velcro backing that matches the Lake Country 4" backing plate adapter. So basically, Lake Country made their backing plate adapter system for the FLEX 3401 so you could use the Lake Country 5" pads on the FLEX 3401.

Without going deep.... with free spinning tools, general speaking, thin pads rotate best and this is key because without pad rotation you're not really going to do any correction or poishing work - at least not in a time-effective manner.

With gear-driven tool, pad thickness or thinness doesn't matter because they are GEAR DRIVEN. In fact, thicker pads provide a more comfortable buffing experience than thin pads as thin pads on a gear driven tool can be "hoppy" or "grabby".

So in my book and in the real world I use and recommend the thick Lake Country Hybrid pad line using the factory 5.5" backing plate or the LC 4" backing plate.

Now this is KEY

When the backing plate is LARGER than the back of the velcro on the back of a buffing pad it is REALLY HARD TO CENTER THE PAD. For this reason it's really hard to use the 5" hybrid pads on the FLEX mini backing plate your reference.

So you have to use 5.5" pads and most of these now days are thin, not thick. Can you use them? Yes. the thicker the better. Take a look at some of the Griot's 5.5" pads NOT in the BOSS line as these are on the thick side.

Me? I don't like using all the various thin 5.5" foam pads on the 4.5" backing plate. That's just me though.

Hope the above helps...

Mike Phillips

Post Thanks / Like

It is just a pleasure to get on AGO every day (for me about 4 years now), and discover some gem from Mike Phillips.

This whole site has been just an incredible experience for me. So many of you guys/gals have been instrumental in my learning curve.

But Mike is just simply "The Man".

Name one other person with the knowledge he has regarding our passion. Or, the incredible amount of time he spends (away from his family sometimes) building upon this knowledge every day.

And lastly, Mike says he is "Honored" when someone asks him to sign a tool.

The honor is all ours, my man. What you bring to AG, the forum, and to this hobby/profession is second to none. I know damn well I'm not the Lone Ranger here in saying this, but I wanted to express how much we all appreciate all your hard work Mike.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

9. Thanks Aaryn NZ, dlc95, Maxreed241 thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ, dlc95, SWETM, Maxreed241, Avid liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

11. Thanks Aaryn NZ, KBsToy thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ, KBsToy, dlc95, Mike@ShineStruck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome share VISITOR.

I hadn't seen this clip before & its a good one. I also hadn't thought about what causes the 'walking' either (I guess because I have so many hours behind the 3401 that its a non issue) but thats a bang on explanation. The Flex 3401 has to be my favourite too, results get nailed, fun to work with & as reliable as water is wet!

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

13. Likes dlc95, FrankS liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Same here, after going thru my clone polishers the 3401 is in my cabinet with both backing plates...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post

It is just a pleasure to get on AGO every day (for me about 4 years now), and discover some gem from Mike Phillips.

This whole site has been just an incredible experience for me. So many of you guys/gals have been instrumental in my learning curve.

But Mike is just simply "The Man".

Name one other person with the knowledge he has regarding our passion. Or, the incredible amount of time he spends (away from his family sometimes) building upon this knowledge every day.

And lastly, Mike says he is "Honored" when someone asks him to sign a tool.

The honor is all ours, my man. What you bring to AG, the forum, and to this hobby/profession is second to none. I know damn well I'm not the Lone Ranger here in saying this, but I wanted to express how much we all appreciate all your hard work Mike.

Thanks for the kind words Paul.... appreciated...

I never started out my life journey to be a detailer or a guy that teaches others to art and craft of car and boat detailing, it's just my passion led me down this road. I explain why in the interview I did with Dennis Gage on his TV show, My Classic Car. You can Google Dennis Gage Mike Phillips Interview and it will pull right up. It was really nice of Dennis to let me share my story on TV.

16. Likes dlc95, Aaryn NZ, Mike@ShineStruck, SWETM liked this post
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast