autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: The learned skill of turning detailing work down by Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jims_auto View Post

Great book and great advice from Renny and the many that wrote a few sections.

I certainly wish I could go back and change a few things I did in the beginning 30 years ago

And just to note... Jim aka jims_auto has his own sections in Renny's book and they are nuggets of gold.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post

mike, do you ever sleep?

man I thought I had crazy days with emails and meetings and everything else but you never seem to stop

I'm am a machine.

3. Likes RiverDog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I'm am a machine.

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered this book a few months ago. I need to read it again. Great article/info Mike. Second time through I need to mark up and highlight the important info.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome Mike.

Some real value in this article & I look for ward to the follow on article too. Hmmm, new book in the works Mike?

I clearly remember ready this section in Renny's book, & it changed my approach for sure. Once apon a time turning work away was losing money but that's not really the case. I had a brief conversation with Mike not too long ago about me turning away work (a relatively special car) because the paint was too thin from being "buffed out" at the dealership, only to inflict rotary holograms & remove paint but then to do exactly the same thing to try & fix the damage they did in the first place. The car came into my shop for evaluation & when I took my paint thickness readings I was horrified at how little paint was left.

I could have taken the risk, made some money & certainly improve the damage inflicted but I have worked hard for my reputation & as a Member of the IDA, it goes against our code of conduct, not to mention - my conscience.

Now, I get paid well enough for my skill set & seeing that money drive away is annoying but in this case it was the best option. It may have cost ME a respray if I had burnt through the clear, chances are the clear would simply fail in the not so distant future, & worst of all - my reputation would suffer.

To update what happened to this vehicle (sorry for the high jack Mike) the dealership laughed at my claims of the paint being too thin - saying - "buffing wouldn't take that much paint off" & last I heard, the dealership were getting their guy to wet sand the paint to remove the holograms (that'll do it) & re buff it.

This is such a valuble article Mike, & I bet you have so much more to share on this in the future.

Thank you Mike!

Aaryn NZ.
    a DETAILS Blenheim New Zealand - IDA Member - C.Quartz Finest Authorized Installer

7. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post

I clearly remember ready this section in Renny's book, & it changed my approach for sure.

Once apon a time turning work away was losing money but that's not really the case. I had a brief conversation with Mike not too long ago about me turning away work (a relatively special car) because the paint was too thin from being "buffed out" at the dealership, only to inflict rotary holograms & remove paint but then to do exactly the same thing to try & fix the damage they did in the first place.

The car came into my shop for evaluation & when I took my paint thickness readings I was horrified at how little paint was left.

I could have taken the risk, made some money & certainly improve the damage inflicted but I have worked hard for my reputation & as a Member of the IDA, it goes against our code of conduct, not to mention - my conscience.

Now, I get paid well enough for my skill set & seeing that money drive away is annoying but in this case it was the best option. It may have cost ME a respray if I had burnt through the clear, chances are the clear would simply fail in the not so distant future, & worst of all - my reputation would suffer.

To update what happened to this vehicle (sorry for the high jack Mike) the dealership laughed at my claims of the paint being too thin - saying - "buffing wouldn't take that much paint off" & last I heard, the dealership were getting their guy to wet sand the paint to remove the holograms (that'll do it) & re buff it.

Wow!

You couldn't pay me to wetsand a factory finish to remove holograms that did NOT have to be inflicted into the already thin paint.

My guess is, at some point their detailer turned their buffer over and saw the color of the paint on the buffing pad..... ouch...

Quote Originally Posted by Aaryn NZ View Post

This is such a valuble article Mike, & I bet you have so much more to share on this in the future.

Aaryn NZ.

Thanks Aaryn, I always appreciate your posts and the helpful information that you share.

Post Thanks / Like

I JUST finished these pages in Mr. Doyle's book Sunday evening. So far, I am enjoying and learning a lot. This little side article was much appreciated.

10. Likes RiverDog liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mk9750 View Post

I JUST finished these pages in Mr. Doyle's book Sunday evening. So far, I am enjoying and learning a lot.

This little side article was much appreciated.

It's a tough lesson to learn...

Of course when a person is starting out or if work is slow you do what you have to do to put food on the plate...

Mike Phillips

13. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Mike Phillips

15. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12