autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review: Blackfire Carpet and Upholstery by Mike Phillips

Review: Blackfire Carpet and Upholstery by Mike Phillips

Pretty hard to get excited about carpet and upholstery cleaners but this is an important category in the car care appearance category. One of my job duties here at Autogeek is to test or use new products and then write a review to show how the product works as well as (in my case), share how to use it.

That said, here's my review and how-to for the new BLACKFIRE Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner.

First I don't do mock-up. Don't do it, won't do it. So I needed some really dirty carpet. I have a saying, actually an article, goes like, this,

Run what you brung - Use what you have -Mike Phillips

So I walk out into the Show Car Garage and see the SONAX Van parked in one of the bays. I open the door and found some of the dirtiest grossest carpet I've ever seen.

To practice what I preach, since this is what I have this is what I'm going to use. I removed the carpet and set it on a couple of tables pushed together.

The first thing you do when cleaning carpet and upholstery is to do what is called, DRY EXTRACTION. Or in laymen terms.... get out the vacuum and vacuums up all the loose dirt.

No science to this and not much technique. One tip I would share is that when moving a vacuum over carpet it's easy to move the suction wand over the carpet fast, it kind of makes you feel like you're working fast. Here's the thing, if you move the suction wand too fast over the surface before the dirt can actually be removed the wand has now moved on and the dirt falls back to where it was lifting out of.... so sometimes you can do a better job and go faster by slowing down.

Here's the carpet as clean as you can get it with only dry extraction. Now we're ready to start deep cleaning.

Here's the most worn area where the driver places their feet.

The first step will be to spray on the BLACKFIRE Carpet & Upholstery cleaner directly to the carpet.

The next step is to agitate the cleaner into the carpet using a brush. This tool and technique works but it's very labor intensive and that makes it time-intensive.

Here you can see where I've agitated just one small area.... This works, scrubbing the carpet with the brush agitates the cleaner deep into the carpet to dissolve thingsl like normal dirt build up from the bottom of your shoes as well as things like when the van goes over a bump and the driver spills their Starbucks coffee.

Here's what I show people in my car and boat detailing classes - that is if you already own a simple 8mm free spinning orbital polisher like the Griot's Garage 6" DA or a Porter Cable, or fill-in-the-blank, then get a Cyclo brush or two and turn your paint polisher into a carpet scrubber.

The brush heads that work best are the soft grey brush that has flagged bristles, it simply rotates the best and next would be the Aqua brush head.

Here you can see the brush bristles look blurry in the photo - that's because they are spinning and oscillating and this scrubs like the hand brush only it requires a LOT LESS MUSCLE.

Here's I've scrubbed just one section but after this section I did machine scrub the rest of the carpet.

After machine scrubbing a person could blot out the cleaner and all the dirt and gunk that was loosened but that's actually very in-effective. A better option would be if the carpet can be removed from the vehicle to wash it off with a water hose and strong blast of water from a water sprayer or even a pressure washer to really blast out the loosened dirt. This approach actually works really well but you will get the carpet completely and fully saturated with water from inside out. (be careful not to destroy the carpet with too much power or the wrong spray tip) So then you have to get all the water out and about the only way to do this once the carpet is laid out in your driveway or on some concrete somewhere it so let it dry via evaporation or if possible hang it vertical so the water can exit the carpet via gravity and evaporation.

Hot Water Extractors
    Another option is to use a tool that injects hot water and then immediately extracts it out. This does the work of removing all the cleaner and the gunk it has dissolved and loosened while also leaving the carpet a lot dryer via the vacuum extraction benefit. For my classes I show the Mytee Brand hot water extractors, shown below from left to right are the Mytee Lite II 8070 and to the right to it is the Mytee HP60 Spyder.

Here's my buddy John using the Mytee Lite II 8070 to extract dirt out of the carpet.

I have the optional Mytee 8400DX Dry Upholstery Tool on both units and the cool feature about this wand is the see-through plastic top so you can see when the water being extracted is dirty and then when it goes clear showing you that section is clean. Without this feature you're always guessing as there's no way to know if the carpet is actually clean or not since the other wand options are solid stainless steel and you cannot see through them. (obviously)

Here's the results.... the carpet is now so clean I wouldn't eat off of it but I wouldn't feel grossed-out to sit on it.

Ready to go back in for more coffee spilling!

Review and comments...

Like mentioned in the first line of this post, it's hard to get excited about a carpet and upholstery cleaner, most people like the paint polishing aspect of car detailing and I can relate to that. At the same time, you need a safe and effective carpet cleaner to remove stains and ground in dirt that vacuuming alone won't remove. I found the new BLACKFIRE Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner to work well and without the nasty odor most products in this catoagory have.

The key to getting carpets and upholstery really clean comes from both the agitation aspect and the extraction aspect and that's why I included the tools you see along with the BLACKFIRE Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner. You always get better results faster when you work by machine. The human hand is simply limited in what it can do.

On Autogeek.com

BLACKFIRE Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner

BLACKFIRE Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner 128 oz.

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher

Cyclo Brushes
    These links to go to 2-packs of the brushes but you can order just one if that's all you want.

2 Pack Cyclo Polisher Aqua Soft Carpet Brush

2 Pack Cyclo Polisher Grey Ultra Soft Upholstery Brush

Hot Water Extractors

Mytee Lite III 8070 Hot Water Carpet Extractor

Mytee HP60 Spyder Hot Water Carpet & Upholstery Extractor

Mytee 8400DX Dry Upholstery Tool

If you're going to work by hand...

Mat & Carpet Scrub Brush

2. Thanks Diner, Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ, axel06 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: Blackfire Carpet and Upholstery by Mike Phillips

Continued...

Here's a video Yancy and I shot, I'm the hand model... this video shows the blotting technique I reference in the above post. While it works it will never work as well as an actual extractor.

4. Thanks Diner, Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review Mike. Looks like a nice addition to the Blackfire line.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post

Thanks for the review Mike.

Looks like a nice addition to the Blackfire line.
    Thanks Michael, that carpet is now CLEAN!

Post Thanks / Like

I just used the new Blackfire Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner too.Review: Blackfire Carpet and Upholstery by Mike Phillips

This is after 1 round of hand scrubbing with a brush.

And mopping up with a towel.

It did good, but I figured what the heck, lets do 1 more round. Here’s the 2nd time mopping up. Nearly all the way clean..

Final result.

And I agree, no strong smell to this cleaner. Review: Blackfire Carpet and Upholstery by Mike Phillips

8. Thanks Diner, Aaryn NZ thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd bet that all the carpet and upholstery cleaners offered on AG are pretty good. I do know that I had been struggling with horrible black gunky shoe and boot stains on light tan carpet in my car. I had been using the can stuff with the prush on the end, and it did practically nothing. I tried using a cleaning solution made for the rental carpet cleaners, and more of nothing. I finally sprung for McKee's 37 Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner, and oh my what a difference! First application and agitation got me to about 90% clean. Went at it the next day, and the carpet was back to pristine!

As I mentioned, I'd bet that Blackfire is good too. Wouldn't likely be sold here if it wasn't. But I can absolutely recommend the McKee's Carpet Cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike
    Any chance of getting a review on the Mytee 8400DX Dry Upholstery Tool? I can’t find much information on it as far as reviews. The only info I can find is mostly what the manufacturer releases. It looks like a great tool. But it’s hard to pull the trigger at that price without that much information on it. I know a few others out there with the same concerns. Anyway if you ever find the time or get a chance. A review would be much appreciated.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquish Auto View Post

Hey Mike

Any chance of getting a review on the Mytee 8400DX Dry Upholstery Tool?

I can’t find much information on it as far as reviews. The only info I can find is mostly what the manufacturer releases. It looks like a great tool. But it’s hard to pull the trigger at that price without that much information on it. I know a few others out there with the same concerns. Anyway if you ever find the time or get a chance. A review would be much appreciated.

Sincerely...

It's the only way to fly (or clean)

The ability to see dirty water change to clear water is priceless.

I'm setting up for my 3-day class, it's over on Sunday night and then I do IDA SV Testing on Monday and then I'm off on Tuesday. After the dust settles I'll see if Yancy and I can do a video show how cool this tool is.

If we do... don't blame me if $349.99 flies out of your wallet to the AG store.

I kid you not... it is the ONLY way to use an extractor. That is if you want to do your best work but be the most efficient with your time.

For those scanning this thread or unsure of what we're talking about.... it's this thing,

Mytee 8400DX Dry Upholstery Tool

12. Thanks Aaryn NZ, axel06 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I look forward to it. I’ve been on the fence about getting one since they came out. But $350 is hard to swallow for a wand. Unless it works. But if it preforms like I expect it to then $350 will be well worth it. I’ve heard a lot of good things about it. But I haven’t really seen a lot of videos on it. Thanks a lot for looking out.

14. Likes Aaryn NZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great job Mike but I wonder what results you could get without the steam upholstery machine. The rugs in my BMW need attention but i don't do this for a living and cant justify spending over a grand to clean my carpets. I will try agitating the carpet with my orbital.

I am hoping I can achieve decent results with just a good carpet cleaner combined with machine agitation.

I have used some carpet cleaners with a hand brush with less then great results. Also they don't smell great.

really appreciate the reviews you post.

Dave

2017 Toyota Tundra
    2013 M37S Infinity
    2007 BMW 335i convertible

16. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast