autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Makita PO5000C Orbital Polisher - Gear-driven and Free Spinning - Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by remofire View Post
    Any updates? Did any of you pull the plug on the Makita? I'm very very close to getting one.
    Someone on here did, don't remember the name of the member but they have nothing but great things to say. Maybe it's this pages fb group...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Makita PO5000C Orbital Polisher - Gear-driven and Free Spinning - Mike Phillips

Yes, I've been running it since it came out.

I took it apart and changed out the grease to something recommended by my resident expert on the subject - and no - I won't share how to void your warranty.

Also, I took off the Makita backing plate because the velco won't hold the pad like it should and replaced it with the same size Rupes backing plate. I took some material off the back of the Rupes backing plate to lighten it up and used the bolt that came with the Makita to hold it on. You have to be careful about the bolt used for attaching the backing plate because if it goes in too deep it will bind up the machine. Always turn the machine by hand after changing the backing plate to make sure that hasn't happened.

Finally, I took off the front handle and filled the cavity with about a pound of lead shot and epoxy for plastic to counter the inherent vibration.

I have two, both modified the same and they've been rock solid.

RSW

Post Thanks / Like

I've also been running it and love it
    It's a more refined 3401

No reason for anyone to buy a 3401 anymore that doesn't have one

The foam pads to buy atm would be lake country Thinpros
    The other pads to possible get would be Rupes Mille pads when they come out.

I think itll end up being the best Forced DA

Only thing the Mille has on it which imo doesn't matter is clockwise rotation
    They both have progressive triggers

I've also ran it with a Griot HD 3in plate, getting a Kamikaze 3in duetto plate for it soon unless my buddy gets me the factory 3in by then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RSW View Post
    Yes, I've been running it since it came out.

I took it apart and changed out the grease to something recommended by my resident expert on the subject - and no - I won't share how to void your warranty.

Also, I took off the Makita backing plate because the velco won't hold the pad like it should and replaced it with the same size Rupes backing plate. I took some material off the back of the Rupes backing plate to lighten it up and used the bolt that came with the Makita to hold it on. You have to be careful about the bolt used for attaching the backing plate because if it goes in too deep it will bind up the machine. Always turn the machine by hand after changing the backing plate to make sure that hasn't happened.

Finally, I took off the front handle and filled the cavity with about a pound of lead shot and epoxy for plastic to counter the inherent vibration.

I have two, both modified the same and they've been rock solid.

RSW

I still never got around to that mod yet

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mohebmhanna View Post

Also I forgot to ask what type of polishing pad and product did you use for the Duster project.

I guess if you could put together full thread about this tool and pad you utilized that would be appreciated. Thanks
    I tested a lot of pads, probably have the pictures somewhere. Takes a lot of time to make pictures magically show up on a forum - always short on time.

In this picture you can see I'm using the 5.5" LC HDO blue foam cutting pads, for polishing I used the orange LC HDO pads. These pads work well with this polisher.

Quote Originally Posted by mohebmhanna View Post

Hi Mike
    When you used Mikita PO5000C in the forced rotation mode for polishing what speed seething was that 3 or 4. Thanks
    My guess is I used it on speed 5. I find I need this tool and the Mille on high speed to work fast.

6. Likes RSW liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike@ShineStruck View Post
    I still never got around to that mod yet
    I've moved on from that mod. Now, I put the cap from a BO6040 on the 5000 and it's much more comfortable and easier to control. It took some grinding and cutting but it really helps.

RSW

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RSW View Post
    I've moved on from that mod. Now, I put the cap from a BO6040 on the 5000 and it's much more comfortable and easier to control. It took some grinding and cutting but it really helps.

RSW
    That's what's up
    What do you mean by cap though?

Post Thanks / Like

Head cover, as shown in these diagrams, or something else? BO6040 and PO5000C
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

10. Likes Mike@ShineStruck liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    A additional smaller backing plate????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What make and size (3””) is that smaller backing plate and where did you get it from?

Did you use the std. Makita M8 x 14mm bolt to lock it up?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post
    A additional smaller backing plate????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Where did you get that little backing plate from, is it a Makita brand? Or whose? And for what model name

Any details much appreciated
    That would be perfect for mine

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast