autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Coating questions? Do they degrade? Are you married to them? Can you go back to a wax or sealant?

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post

Great inofrmation, thank you for posting this Mike.

Thank you sir...

Quote Originally Posted by willowcat11 View Post

EXCELLENT Post Mike! Thankyou for sharing this!
    Thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by MshawnBauer View Post

Great info as always!

Here's an add on Question! How do you feel about layering & Coatings? Yay or Nay?
    In most cases I'd say "no". Instead - practice TOUCHING the paint carefully in every way you touch it,

Washing
    Drying
    Wiping

Quote Originally Posted by Kamakaz1961 View Post

As always thank you for your input on this matter.
    Thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by LSNAutoDetailing View Post

thanks Mike!

To the OP Dave, there are pro's and cons to each. I have coatings on all three of my vehicles. One of those vehicles falls into the category Mike mentions where it doesn't get driven, the 2nd, gets driven very little, but the third vehicle is the dog hauler, grocery getter, and everything else. I call it my little UTE.

I originally didn't want to coat the UTE (Honda Fit) but did because after I moved to AZ, the Fit has to sit outside as of now I only have a 2 car garage (that will change soon). Because of this I opted to coat with CKUK and DLUX on all the trim, plastics and lights. Mainly for the monsoons, dust storms, and heavy amounts of constant UV slamming the car. Honda's are thin/soft paint to begin with so I didn't want CC failure in 6 months until I get a 3 car garage.

Coatings can provide ease of weekly washing and blow drying, because of the hydrophobic qualities. The longevity at least keeps the weekly maintenance pretty easy.

One could make the argument, as Mike points out, that regardless if a vehicle is coated or not, a typical daily driver will at least get a FULL detail annually, with Iron-x, clay, and some form of polishing, either HD Speed, 360, etc.. So the effort is pretty much the same.

I've never heard you can't remove a coating once it's applied and go back to wax, probably someone mentioned that because one might like the coating so much they will never go back?? A trusty DA, some pads and product will make short work of the coating though.

Good input Paul...

Quote Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY View Post

I sent the Email to Mike, some of the questions came from this vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93MmQhNwqxk&t=4s

Thank you for replying to your thread.

I've watched the above video and he actually makes some good points.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating questions? Do they degrade? Are you married to them? Can you go back to a wax or sealant?

im in a group text with a few forum members and this comes up at least twice a month. ive dipped my toe in the pool of coatings on my personal vehicles but I'm never satisfied with them. i always end up going back to sealants, the overall look and fact I can better keep my car in top shape because I apply a fresh coat 2-3 times a year with a light yearly polishing to keep it looking its best satisfies me best.

I don't know if maybe I haven't found that one right coating to work for me either, I offer coatings to my customers and they seem to love them but personally I just don't, at least not yet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    i always end up going back to sealants, the overall look and fact I can better keep my car in top shape because I apply a fresh coat 2-3 times a year with a light yearly polishing to keep it looking its best satisfies me best.
    This is kinda one of the reasons I'm recently enamored with CanCoat; sealant longevity and ease of application with coating performance.

As for coatings degrading or removal, one of our cars had 3 different coatings on it this summer. Kinda labor intensive to insure complete removal (and I'm guessing you never get it ALL) but have had no issues going forward with what was the final choice.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to start doing some experimenting with cancoat and mckees paint coat application wise but to see how they do if applied in a "different" way then the traditional methods.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to start doing some experimenting with cancoat and mckees paint coat application wise but to see how they do if applied in a "different" way then the traditional methods.
    Thats one of the things I like about can coat...applies like a quick detailer or spray wax. Couple of spritzes in a short nap towel, wipe on buff off.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the write up.

I've applied coatings to all of the family daily drivers and I've found it to have greatly simplified life. When I used sealants, I found myself doing a light polish/refresh along with a re-application of the sealant every six months. As the number of drivers in my family grew along with more going on in life, this was starting to become unsustainable.

Now that everything is coated, I've got all the vehicles spread out on an 18-month cycle which is much easier to sustain. I've noticed they stay cleaner between washes, and clean up much easier when washed. Due to the improved ease of washing, I've found the wash induced marring/swirls is significantly lower than when I used sealants. The vehicles tend to look better over that entire period of time vs sealants. At 12 months our coated cars look far better than sealed cars at 6 months.

The one thing I will say is I have to keep up with maintenance washes to keep this trend going. However I don't mind as washing is quick and easy and much easier to work into life than a full day detail.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

7. Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

im in a group text with a few forum members and this comes up at least twice a month. ive dipped my toe in the pool of coatings on my personal vehicles but I'm never satisfied with them. i always end up going back to sealants, the overall look and fact I can better keep my car in top shape because I apply a fresh coat 2-3 times a year with a light yearly polishing to keep it looking its best satisfies me best.

I don't know if maybe I haven't found that one right coating to work for me either, I offer coatings to my customers and they seem to love them but personally I just don't, at least not yet
    Late to this, but thank you for saying this. I see a lot of justification and downright fanaticism with coatings, particularly on the sister site. Doesn't mean they don't work, but for me they're probably not the best option.

2-3x per year paint cleaning with a good sealant seems to be the best answer so far. Still hoping for something that resists road grime better.
    2006 LR3 White // 2014 Boxster Agate Gray // 2012 Sentra Aspen White
    Sealant test resultsxxxxxDilution ratio chartxxxxxWheel cleaner info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RippyD View Post
    2-3x per year paint cleaning with a good sealant seems to be the best answer so far. Still hoping for something that resists road grime better.
    May wanna give Gyeon CanCoat a try. Easy, quick application, coating like (as it is a coating, albeit a 'coating-lite' type) self cleaning characteristics and look, relatively inexpensive. 6 month longevity, longer perhaps if well maintained. Been in a CanCoat phase lately, it's quite a handy item in a variety of circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like

What are the differences between CC and UFF?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minerigger View Post
    What are the differences between CC and UFF?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    UFF is a sealant and CanCoat is like a lite version of a coating. It has SiO2 in it which is found in many coatings to give that more durable form of protection. It also has some fantastic water behavior in beading and sheeting. Much more so than UFF. Also the self cleaning effects are really nice. The only difference needed is a prep wipe prior to applying CanCoat.

12. Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast