autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review & How-To: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Paint Coating

A little update of WGUC. I Applied it to my my wife’s Subaru 25 months ago. In the past 2 years the car has been thru Florida sun & Love bug season along with a long winters here in northern Vermont & Colorado. I just did a quick chemical decontamination this weekend since we just finished mud season.

Happy to report all the horizontal surfaces are still holding up well. The vertical surfaces not quite as well. The coating on the bottom 6” of the doors is starting to die away. But above the belt line is still holding up ok. The windows were still decent except the windshield. So I gave the windshield a cleaning and applied PBL Glass Coating. Overall paint condition is still ok (not perfect, but it’s a daily) so it was time fir its first booster since application. I opted fir the easy road with a quick spray over with McKee’s 37 Hydro Blue. I really like the Hydro Blue, but it’s just too easy to use and overuse. Review & How-To: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Paint Coating

Overall very pleased with the WGUC. Yes it does cost a tad more, but if applied properly it does hold up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review & How-To: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Paint Coating

I'm about to use this on a brand new car that has PPF on half the car. The rest of the car will be clean and ready for the Wolfgang kit.

My questions are:

1. Can I do the car in sections over a few days? Say I do the roof, hood and trunk, completely, then the next day do the vertical surfaces? And next week do glass?

2. Related to above, this product's instructions call for applying product to the sponge applicator directly workout a suede cloth. Does that applicator get hard? Can it be reused the next day? Next year?

And finally, the starter kit only came with 2 towels. I guess that's not enough assuming an already contaminated car?

Thanks!
    Adam

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam View Post

I'm about to use this on a brand new car that has PPF on half the car. The rest of the car will be clean and ready for the Wolfgang kit.

My questions are:
    Hi Adam,

You ask some great questions, let me take a stab at them...

1. Can I do the car in sections over a few days? Say I do the roof, hood and trunk, completely, then the next day do the vertical surfaces? And next week do glass?
    As long as all these surfaces stay surgically clean in-between the time you made the final prep wipe to the time you apply the coating then the answer is "yes".

Me? I'd find a way to block out the time to do it all at once and avoid the risk of dust contamination if the car is stored inside the ENTIRE time it is being coated from prep wipe to final coating application. If you put the car into service in-between applying coating to various sections then the answer is "no".

2. Related to above, this product's instructions call for applying product to the sponge applicator directly workout a suede cloth.
    I think you could apply it with either approach, the foam block is more "simple" and this tends to make application easier. Most coatings I've used do NOT spread out easy like an old fashioned wax so take your time and be patient when applying any coating with any applicator.

Does that applicator get hard?
    To be honest, I don't remember. I can use this product as a test and let you know.

Can it be reused the next day? Next year?
    If the coating material hardens the foam then the answer is "no". I throw these blocks in the washing machine after a class, envision up to 20 of the being used at one time), and they seem to wash and dry just fine. This saves money. If you're all about saving money on a block that costs $5.00 then immediately after use wash the block. If the cost of a $5.00 block compared to a the cost of the car and the peace of mind for top quality protection isn't an issue, then simply get a new block for the next time you coat a car.

And finally, the starter kit only came with 2 towels. I guess that's not enough assuming an already contaminated car?

Thanks!
    Adam
    Nope. Here at Autogeek we sell thousands of kits. The kits contain enough product to get you started. If we put everything in a kit that actually needed the price of the kits would be so high sales would fall like a rock.

For example - when you purchase a "Polisher Kit", it often times comes with,

One foam cutting pad
    One foam polishing pad
    One foam waxing pad

I can't count how many times I shared with people that you need more than ONE foam cutting pad to compound an entire car. In fact, if you really want to do your best work you use one pad per panel. For a 2 door car that would be 9 pads. You don't need as many polishing pads since the WORK is done in the first step but still, 3, 4, maybe 5 polishing pads to do the job right and then one pad to machine apply a wax or sealant. That's a total of 15 pads. We're not putting 15 pads in a kit and then a wash mitt and some car wash soap, a few drying towels, all the towels you need to wipe off the compound, all the towels you need to wipe off the polish and all the towels you need to wipe off the wax.

So yeah.... anytime you buy a kit ANYWHERE in the world for any type of hobby, it's not going to come with all the necessary components to do the complete job whatever the job might be. It's how our world works, we didn't set it up this way, I'm guessing our world kind of evolved this way.

As a professional practice, ANYTIME I share a detail car detailing project, if you look at the picture closely I ALWAYS show the tool, the NUMBER OF PADS and sometimes all the towels and complimentary product used. For example, in post #2 of this thread I shared via a picture how many towels I used to chemically strip the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Very Important
    Have plenty of clean, soft microfiber towels on hand for the prep step to avoid cross-contamination.

Recently I buffed out a 1965 Cadillac, in this picture I show how many pads I used - I count 10 pads

1965 Cadillac - Original Single Stage Paint - Slam job by Mike Phillips

Here's the best way to share what it takes to buff out a car...

How to use Griot's Garage to detail your car - A detail job Richard Griot would be proud of!

You'll find this in post #9

List of all products used...

On Autogeek.com

Griot's Spray-On Car Wash

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher

Griots Garage 6 Inch Heavy Duty Random Orbital Polisher

Griots Garage 5 Inch Vented Orbital Backing Plate

Griots Garage 3 inch HD Backing Plate

Griots Garage 5.5 inch Orange Foam Correcting Pad

Griots Garage 5.5 inch Black Foam Finishing Pad

Griots Garage 5.5 inch Red Foam Waxing Pad

Griots Garage 6 inch Surface Prep Pad

Griots Garage Brilliant Finish Synthetic Clay

Griots Garage Speed Shine Detailer 35 oz

Griot's BOSS 3.5" buffing pads

Griot's Pneumatic Micro Rotary Buffer

Griots Garage Complete Compound 16 oz

Griots Garage Complete Polish 16 oz

Griots Garage Best of Show Wax 16 oz - New Formula!

Griot’s Garage Spray-On Car Wash Cloths – 3 Pack

Griots Garage Micro Fiber Polish Removal Cloths - 3 Pack

Griots Garage Black Shine Tire Gel

Griots Garage Target Tire Dressing Kit - 2 foam tire gel applicators and one handle

Pictures of products used...

It takes more time to share everything I use for a car detailing project, can't actually think of anyone that does this? I do it for sales for the AG store (of course), but for those that can not be so cynical, they know I also do it to help do the job right the first time. That's how I roll.

I'll test the product today on the foam applicator pad and let you know if it hardens on the foam.

I'll also test to see if you can apply using the suede patch of cloth on a foam block and let you now how this goes.

4. Thanks AdamIsAdam thanked for this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Ebg18t View Post

A little update of WGUC. I Applied it to my my wife’s Subaru 25 months ago. In the past 2 years the car has been thru Florida sun & Love bug season along with a long winters here in northern Vermont & Colorado.

Overall very pleased with the WGUC. Yes it does cost a tad more, but if applied properly it does hold up.

Thanks for the update!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post

I'll also test to see if you can apply using the suede patch of cloth on a foam block and let you now how this goes.

Mike,
    Thanks for the detailed reply, much appreciated!

I'm planning to begin this tonight after work, so I'd love to hear how this product goes on with just the foam block vs putting suede over the block.

Thanks again.
    Adam

Mike Phillips

Mike,
    Thanks for the detailed reply, much appreciated!

I'm planning to begin this tonight after work, so I'd love to hear how this product goes on with just the foam block vs putting suede over the block.

Thanks again.
    Adam

I'm packing for the Wisconsin Roadshow Detailing Class, then I have a meeting.

Packing for our Roadshow Car Detailing Class in Wisconsin

I will try to get to it later this afternoon.

8. Thanks AdamIsAdam thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I applied the Wolfgang Coating using a Lake Country Coating Applicator and had no problems. As far as the coating I had it on for 2 years and 1 day to be exact. Granted during that time I used some toppers/boosters, I feel its a solid product.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer77 View Post
    I applied the Wolfgang Coating using a Lake Country Coating Applicator and had no problems. As far as the coating I had it on for 2 years and 1 day to be exact. Granted during that time I used some toppers/boosters, I feel its a solid product.
    Thanks! Which toppers / boosters did you like? I was planning on using CarPro Reload Silica Spray Sealant that I THINK is supposed to be put on an hour or so after the ceramic coating.

Please correct me if I'm wrong there. This was based on a suggestion/review I read (can't recall where now).

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang doesn't recommend anything during the curing process, just time. Toppers Hydro Blue, GTechniq C2v3 were some of the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

Does anyone know how long a unopened bottle will last? I purchased the coating kit in Sept 2016 and hopeful that it is still good. Is it ok to use?

Thanks

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223 LastLast