autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Before and After Shots - Meguiar’s DA Microfiber Polishing System

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Mike, does the Finishing Wax actually have any abrasives in it or is the "finishing" action all from the pad? The description on MOL says "Rich blend of polymers, silicones & carnauba for high gloss protection ", nothing about abrasives.
    Mike Stoops answered a question just like this on MOL and he said that the Finishing Wax does contain a small amount of SMAT.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bova80 View Post
    i'd like to know how it comes with the m105/205 combo as well

Other users results may vary, but my findings were as follows...note some paints may yield different results.

On The PCXP speed 5:

-M105 Surbuf will usually cut better than D300 and a MF cutting pad. However, the Surbuf will not finish down as well, it will dust like crazy, and the pads won't last as long.

-M105 orange LC will cut about equal to D300 and the MF cutting pads, though I only tried it on 2 cars I believe. However, you will still have dusting with M105, shorter working time, and it will require ore effort to remove.

D301/M205 is a little apples oranges IMO as D301 also provides some protection as well as correction. In terms of cut I'd say M205 has the edge and it can also finish down a little better depending on paint and pad used.

These are different products with different target markets. I say use the product which is best geared for the job at hand. For those clients only wanting a quick 1-2 step correction job, this new system is the way to go. On moderate to heavy jobs where the owner wants more correction and longer lasting protection I will likely use the D300 and follow with something other than D301.

Hope that helps,
    Rasky
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Nice system and great results!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Mike Phillips

***Update***

Rob, the owner of the Mustang in this thread, is a Manager and Fitness Trainer at our local Anytime Fitness Club and a ran into him at the gym on Saturday. I asked him how the paint was holding up on his Mustang and he said good.

Everyone's definition of "good" can be very different so when I left the gym I went over to his car, stood in a way to position the sun on the hood to inspect for swirls and the finish looked pretty good!

There were some very light swirls from normal wear-n-tear, like washing and drying the car but overall it looked pretty good. It's been 9 months since I buffed out his car and he hasn't done anything to the paint except wash and use a spray detailer on it so overall, I think the paint looks pretty good.

Anyway, I told him about these new coatings coming out on the market and invited him to bring his Mustang back over to Autogeek and we'll do a light polishing to remove any current swirls and then apply a coating and see how he likes that....

Post Thanks / Like

As far as correction goes, what depth of scratches and swirls is the DA system good for?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure this has been covered but can't seem to find it. With the new system i only want to buy to d300 and the cutting pads. They say it's recommend to use the backing plates would it hurt if I choose not to use there backing plate?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blk5.0 View Post
    I'm sure this has been covered but can't seem to find it. With the new system i only want to buy to d300 and the cutting pads. They say it's recommend to use the backing plates would it hurt if I choose not to use there backing plate?
    Some 5" backing plates may work ok. I believe the backing plate issue is heat.
    Megs has tested their DA MF "system" with their backing plate and it works correctly.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by CBlack View Post

As far as correction goes, what depth of scratches and swirls is the DA system good for?
    Shallow to medium swirls and scratches.

The random, isolated deeper scratches will remain. Some of these deeper scratches could be removed with more compounding but find a balance as to how far to go based upon the type of work you're doing, (production or show car), as removing more clear coat removes more paint overall and the UV protection in the clear layer of paint.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn T. View Post

Mike Stoops answered a question just like this on MOL and he said that the Finishing Wax does contain a small amount of SMAT.

That technically would make it a cleaner/wax or a cleaner/sealant or even jeweling wax but not a finishing wax.

At least not if a person adheres to the definition of a "finishing wax" as a non-cleaning product to be used on paint that is in excellent condition or paint that has already been corrected and polished to the point that it is already in excellent condition.

I can see how a company could choose the word finishing to place in front of the word wax to imply that the wax "finishes" the job so to speak.

And that's the thing about the car wax world, there are no Word Police.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Meguiar’s DA Microfiber Polishing System - Hologram removal by Mike Phillips

If we ever get word police, I vote for Mike as our Chief. Thanks Mike

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast