autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Re: Review: Griots Fine Glass Polish - How to remove water spots and road film off car glass

Another tip from experinece.....

When choosing a glass polish, if the company that makes or offers the glass polish also makes or offers a specific pad for their polish, then go with it.

Mixing and matching different glass polishes with other companies glass specific pads can lead to scratching glass.

Again.... don't ask me how I know....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Griots Fine Glass Polish - How to remove water spots and road film off car glass

Thanks for that perspective, Mike, and I understand you presenting the product as Griot's recommends. Would there be any reason to dedicate a foam or microfiber (or wool) pad to glass polishing after using this product? Or would it be alright to go back to paint after a thorough cleaning?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post

Thanks for that perspective, Mike, and I understand you presenting the product as Griot's recommends.
    Mike Pennington, the Director of Traiing at Meguiar's, the guy in charge of the official Meguiar's message as it relates to products once told me,

"The hardest part of my job is keeping everyone on message"

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post

Would there be any reason to dedicate a foam or microfiber (or wool) pad to glass polishing after using this product? Or would it be alright to go back to paint after a thorough cleaning?

Great question.

Definitely dediated the pad for glass polishing only. If for no other reason,

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again, Mike.

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up Mike! As always! I never thought of leaving the glass polish residue on the paint and cleaning it during the wash step. It makes perfect sense. 5 years later and I'm still learning here Thank you

Ray@AutoGeek.net
    800-869-3011 x245

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike I recently purchased a new to me truck and the windows have a streaking that will not come off. Would the Griots work to remove this? It almost appears as if the previous owner let soap dry on the windows.

Review: Griots Fine Glass Polish - How to remove water spots and road film off car glass-20161204_095221-jpg
    Review: Griots Fine Glass Polish - How to remove water spots and road film off car glass-20161204_095217-jpg
    Review: Griots Fine Glass Polish - How to remove water spots and road film off car glass-20161204_095207-jpg

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Another tip from experinece.....

When choosing a glass polish, if the company that makes or offers the glass polish also makes or offers a specific pad for their polish, then go with it.

Mixing and matching different glass polishes with other companies glass specific pads can lead to scratching glass.
    Yikes! I did a few cars (all mine) with Wolfgang glass polish and a Lake Country white pad. When that didn't work well enough I moved to an Orange pad. Thinking I got lucky.

Polishing the glass made huge difference in outside appearance and visibility from inside the car. I coated as well. Very helpful on a rear window with no wiper. Pretty marginal everywhere else. I think Rain Repel or something similar is about as effective but just needs to be applied fairly often.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused on abrasive polish on glass. How are you not thinning out or ruining the thin plastic coating that coats all windshields to protect it from spraying thousands of little glass squares all over the place when it's impacted?
    And what ever happened to "Glass Scrub"? I can't find it anywhere.
    Also, for cars that live in the states that use sand instead of salt for to combat road ice, are there windshields more abraded typically than other states do you think? I ask because I have massive scratching on my windshield on a car I bought from Indiana. It's as if someone put the harshest rubbing compound on the windshield wipers and turned them on and left it. Never seen this before.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buddiiee View Post
    I'm confused on abrasive polish on glass. How are you not thinning out or ruining the thin plastic coating that coats all windshields to protect it from spraying thousands of little glass squares all over the place when it's impacted?
    And what ever happened to "Glass Scrub"? I can't find it anywhere.
    Also, for cars that live in the states that use sand instead of salt for to combat road ice, are there windshields more abraded typically than other states do you think? I ask because I have massive scratching on my windshield on a car I bought from Indiana. It's as if someone put the harshest rubbing compound on the windshield wipers and turned them on and left it. Never seen this before.
    The thin plastic film is laminated inside the glass (think like an oreo). I would think glass condition (as far as scratching) is largely impacted by the previous owner's care regardless of location. If someone's driving around with worn out dirty wiper blades, those'll be harder on the glass than someone who keeps theirs in good condition. I see cars come in to the shop where the thin part of the wiper blade that's supposed to do the cleaning has just plain torn off and they're oblivious to it.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Ray@Autogeek View Post

Great write up Mike! As always! I never thought of leaving the glass polish residue on the paint and cleaning it during the wash step.

It makes perfect sense.

5 years later and I'm still learning here

Thank you

Thanks for the feedback Ray.

This is also something I teach in all my car detailing classes.

It's about doing professional level work but also saving time and saving steps.

Detailing cars in Oregon with all the rain taught me a lot of valuable lessons that I'm still passing on to this day.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast