autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review: NEW Lake Country Microfiber Pads - 2 step swirl destroyer and shine maker!

Review: NEW Lake Country Microfiber Pads - 2 step swirl destroyer and shine maker!

Lake Country is not only one of the largest and oldest buffing pad manufacturer on the planet they also have the reputation of developing and introducing the most innovative and high performance pads on the market.

Here's their latest pad introduction to the market the Lake Country Microfiber Pads. These new pads are available in both cutting and polishing versions and available in 6 1/4" - 5 1/4" and 3 1/4" sizes.

David Patterson sent me samples of all their new Microfiber Pads and I put them to the test on a horrendously swirled out 1940 Pontiac 5-Window Coupe Streetrod.

SWIRL DESTROYER
    Here's my test car and for the testing I'll be using a simple and easy to use Porter Cable 7424XP dual action orbital polishers. This is the safest and easiest tool there is to learn how to use to machine polish paint. When fitted with thin pads like these new Lake Country Microfiber Pads and a high quality compound like the SONAX EX 04-06, you turn this dual action orbital polisher into a SWIRL DESTROYER!

Microfiber as an abrasive booster
    Fibers are a gentle form of abrasive. Working in conjunction with the abrasives in the SONAX EX 04-06 you get 2 things working for you to remove swirls, scratches, water spots and oxidation.

Always center the pad onto the backing plate for maximum performance with the least vibration

Apply the SONAX EX 04-06 directly onto the face of the pad.

To show the before and after difference I've placed a strip of painter's tape on the hood.

Machine compounding

Holding the pad flat to the surface, make slow overlapping passes in a crisscross pattern using the LC Microfiber Cutting Pads

Machine polishing and sealing
    For the second step, instead of using a polish I've chose the SONAX Paint Cleaner which is NOT a paint cleaner but an AIO or cleaner/wax. It has the cutting power of a medium cut polish but it includes synthetic and natural protection ingredients to make this a great one-step product or in the way I'm using it here to clean up any haze left by the compounding step to leave the paint protected as well as glossy and shiny. Thus a great 2-step approach to de-swirl cars using the power and effectiveness of microfiber in the equation.

First I'll apply some product to prime the face of the pad...

After priming the pad add 5-6 more drops of product in order to have enough product to refine the results from the first step while polishing the paint to a high gloss and leaving behind a layer of protections.

Make 5-6 section passes...

Wipe off the residue...

Remove the painter's tape...

Now let’s inspect the results using a FLEX Swirl Finder Light

Before - Swirls throughout the finish

Cropped out section from the original above pictures...

Here's the light on the tape-line...

Here's the side that was buffed using the 2-step swirl destroyer and shine maker process...

Reduce time, labor and steps while maintaining pro quality results

Leveraging the performance of Lake Country microfiber pads you can turn out show car quality results in two steps.

On Autogeek.com

Lake Country Microfiber Cutting Pads

Lake Country Microfiber Polishing Pads

Mike Phillips

Re: Review: NEW Lake Country Microfiber Pads - 2 step swirl destroyer and shine maker!

***Update***

New product announced at SEMA

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: NEW Lake Country Microfiber Pads - 2 step swirl destroyer and shine maker!

Awesome review as usual Mike. My full array of foam pads are all LC and can't wait to get my hands on these MF pads. Curious as to what speed you used on the PC for both pad/products. For my PC and MF combo I usually use 4-5, on my Rupes I stay around 3-4......

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by jkrig View Post

Awesome review as usual Mike.

My full array of foam pads are all LC and can't wait to get my hands on these MF pads.
    I'm not normally a user of microfiber pads for the type of car detailing I tend to do but I will say these new microfiber pads worked great on the hard custom paint job this car had.

Quote Originally Posted by jkrig View Post

Curious as to what speed you used on the PC for both pad/products.

For my PC and MF combo I usually use 4-5,

on my Rupes I stay around 3-4.....

On the Porter Cable like you see in the pictures I tend to run this polisher full-out, that is speed 6 just to ensure good pad rotation and simply for speed as in getting the job done quickly.

To date, when I use the RUPES orbital polishers or the Griot's BOSS I tend to stick with each companies matching foam pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review, Mike! I've only detailed twice in total using orange LC flat pads and I've been looking to add a microfiber pad to my small but growing collection.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by mitchoi View Post

Great review, Mike!

I've only detailed twice in total using orange LC flat pads and I've been looking to add a microfiber pad to my small but growing collection.

I type this all the time...

Fibers are a form of abrasive

So for extra cutting power, especially when using free spinning dual action orbital polishers, use microfiber pads.

Because fibers are a form of abrasive I tend to like to always finish out with foam.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review, Mike!!

Looks like it's time to order some pads!

Post Thanks / Like

looks like another nice offering from lake country...

Post Thanks / Like

They look better than the original LC MF cutting pads they put out with the yellow MF. They were terrible.

Post Thanks / Like

Can these be used on a rotary?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast