autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: NEW Lake Country Microfiber Pads - 2 step swirl destroyer and shine maker!

Looks pretty much like a copy of Megs md discs, too bad there is no a center hole. Anyone tested these with Rupes 21 yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: NEW Lake Country Microfiber Pads - 2 step swirl destroyer and shine maker!

Thanks for great article! Quick question- what would you recommend instead of paint cleaner as phase 2 polish? I am looking to seal the car with nano paint protect and polymer net shield, and AFAIK, they need naked clearcoat.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't know Sonax 04-06 was a compound. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Mike on the use of microfiber pads for finishing, especially on soft paints, marring is inevitable. But for cutting microfiber is IMHO the fastest way to get the job done. A microfiber cutting pad with FG400 is amazing. I have quit using my Rupes blue pads for anything (also hate the sling). I'm going to try the Rupes blue polish with my cutting microfibers to see what results I can achieve.

What is the real difference between a microfiber cutting and a microfiber finishing pad?

Regular Member David at LC Pads's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I'm with Mike on the use of microfiber pads for finishing, especially on soft paints, marring is inevitable. But for cutting microfiber is IMHO the fastest way to get the job done. A microfiber cutting pad with FG400 is amazing. I have quit using my Rupes blue pads for anything (also hate the sling). I'm going to try the Rupes blue polish with my cutting microfibers to see what results I can achieve.

What is the real difference between a microfiber cutting and a microfiber finishing pad?
    For the Lake Country pads the differences are -

Cutting pad uses a different microfiber material (different blend, knit and weight) In the microfiber world, they are apples and oranges in their makeup.

The cutting pad uses a dense blue foam that is very resistant to heat (as in it doesn't soften and get floppy) and dissipates heat very well.

The black finishing pad uses a much softer type of microfiber that leaves a finish that is amazing for microfiber or in general. It finishes well on most paints which hasn't been true in the past for other microfiber pads. The foam interface is also a softer black foam as well.

There was two years of testing and significant time invested in developing these pads. Even down the the diameter and everything, as we feel the minor details are what maximizes the performance.

One thing anyone who has used other pads on the market is the size and fitment of these pads on a backing plate. The have just a minimal amount of overhand to have the perfect balance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joel1979 View Post
    Looks pretty much like a copy of Megs md discs, too bad there is no a center hole. Anyone tested these with Rupes 21 yet?
    I tested these pad with a Rupes 21 for long periods of time with no failure or issues. The perform awesome, and people have been using other mf pads without a center hole for quite some time without much issues either.

There are many who do prefer a hole like yourself, and for those we are offering this type of pad in our NEW HDO (Heavy Duty Orbital) line that will be release in the next 2 weeks. These pads are designed for long throw machines, have a tapered edge and a center hole. In this line, there will be the following pads -

- HDO fiber cutting pad - difference between this item and the standard MF pad is - .25" larger in diameter (5.5 rather than 5.25) with a tapered edge for an exact size backing plate fitment. These pads will also come with a center hole.

- NEW Blue light cutting pad - this pad works awesome for many different uses
    - Orange polishing pad
    - Black finishing pad
    - red cleaner wax/AIO pad

You can see these new pad on our website and here -

All in the Details - Lake Country Newsletter Issue 8

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=pdqgp;1442629]I use Griot's black MF thin pads on my Flex 3401 and felt they did a great job. In terms of "grabby" it was rare and it seemed to be after nearing the end of my second panel which is fine as I change pads every 1-2 panels depending on what I see going on. I agree though that they did exhibit a bit of a grabby feeling but it wasn't from moment one.

I tried the thicker L.C. Grey colored Foam Hybrid Force Cutting pads but found the G.G. Black MF Fast Cutting did a way better job and in far less time. Not sure what I'll do with my Gray Hybrids now as I will likely continue with MF on tough jobs.
    [B]

Microfiber cutting pads usually cut and even level paint faster than foam in many case. Being someone that uses microfiber a bit, it can be easily forgotten that there are A LOT of people who simply prefer foam or other pads over microfiber wheater it is lack of technique, type of machine, or just personal preference.

The Grey pad offers a great alternative to the Hybrid wool pad on the 3401. While some like using MF on the 3401, many don't like the user experience and feel the pads can become grabby. The grey is an awesome pad when used on ceramic clear, and also used in hot and humid climates where other foam pads become soft and ineffective.

The great thing is that the market has grown so much in the last decade and the fact that we have choices these days is a great thing.

I remember days with very little or much less options for types of pads, but also diameters of pads. Those days are long gone, and now we have a lot of great companies innovationg and bring new products to the table.

Super Member antti@561detailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was able to test LC Cutting pads...we used m205 and Rupes 15 machines on hard paint...these pads are simply awesome. And finished off perfect. Haven't tried finishing pads yet.
    But cutting pads are totally awesome. We really put them thru some abuse, and they held up just fine, with no problems at all.
    Also before LC MF finishing pads, there were MEq finishing pads...and I did have good luck with them finishing even soft paints. Can't wait to try LC finishing pads.

You can't go wrong.
    561 Car Detailing Gtechniq Accredited Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

David I will be testing out the new MF pads you sent me this weekend on a "rough" Volvo. I will write a review once I am done.

ScottH

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to seeing the HDO pads going on sale (or for sale) @ AG!

ScottH

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast