autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: NEW SONAX Cut & Finish - Extreme Showcar Makeover - Removing Holograms using the FLEX 3401

It was first introduced to me that night.I hope Ag gets the pics up to show the carnage of a rotary in the wrong hands.Havent played with it enough to answer your question.literally took me 5 minutes to fully correct a fender with this product.

Mike Phillips

Re: NEW SONAX Cut & Finish - Extreme Showcar Makeover - Removing Holograms using the FLEX 3401

Quote Originally Posted by motion732 View Post

Not seeing any pics on here - is that just me?
    Quote Originally Posted by osiapstndp View Post

The pictures don't load for me either. I tried with Tapatalk and the mobile Chrome browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

Me neither. I just thought they were being blocked by my network. Glad to know I'm not alone. I usually see all the images if they are hosted here. Other hosting sites are hit or miss.

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post

there's is no pics for me either.

Quote Originally Posted by WRAPT C5Z06 View Post

I'm not seeing any either.

Whoops....

The images were uploaded to the gallery but were private since I uploaded them before moving this thread from the Rough Draft forum group to the public forum. I moved this thread and 4 other threads out of the Rough Draft forum group to the public New Car Care Products forum group after SEMA started and the products became public knowledge but I forgot to change the setting in the gallery to enable the public to see the pictures.

My mistake.

Working at SEMA from a hotel room gets kind of hectic and thus I simply forgot that even though I can still see the pictures, regular forum members cannot see the pictures till I change the setting on the specific folder in my gallery for these images.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post

i don't want to sound disrespectful here but after reading the thread about the take over i feel like they're making you guys push sonax products.

i never heard anyone talking about them before in the last 5 months being on here. i was going to pick some up but now idk. hate to be a downer but thats how i feel, hope im wrong

Above where you used the word PUSH I would substitute the word SHOWCASE.

And "yes" Autogeek is now owned by Vision Investments but I was not "pushed" to use SONAX products for this car detailing project but instead chose to showcase the new SONAX Cut & Finish because it’s a new product being introduced to the U.S. market and also being introduced as a new product to the U.S. market at SEMA.

One of my job responsibilities here at Autogeek is to use new products and write reviews. I don't consider myself the best new product reviewer but I do my best. I do consider myself pretty good at writing how-to articles, as in articles that show you step-by-step how to use a product, pad or tool.

This is why when see my articles for new products they tend to start out saying,

NEW product review and how-to blank blank blank

I write both my review of the product but also include how to use it. (at least most of the time).

For what it's worth... I'm happy to showcase SONAX products because they are of the highest quality. The way I explain SONAX to the crowds that come to our Saturday Cars & Coffee car shows, which are predominantly older guys that "know" Mothers and Meguiar's brands but don't know the SONAX brand is I tell them in the same way that Meguiar's and Mothers have respected names and high quality products in the United States, SONAX has a respected name and high quality product in Germany and all of Europe.

In other words,

SONAX is the Meguiar's of Europe

This makes it easier for these guys to relate to this new-to-them brand. Because I recently flew to Germany and took a tour of the SONAX manufacturing plant and also was able to talk to and work with their chemists, I can assure you they do in fact have top shelf quality products that compete with the best of the best and in some cases exceed other brands.

Anyone that knows me, reads any of my how-to articles, watches any of my YouTube videos, attends our 3-day Competition Ready Detailing Classes or has seen our TV show Competition Ready, KNOWS one of the things I stress when it comes to the paint polishing aspect of car detailing, (I actually harp on this topic), is that the MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR when it comes to polishing paint is the ABRASIVE TECHNOLOGY and SONAX has GREAT abrasive technology.

It will consistently produce show car results on black paint without any of the negative issues like micro-marring, dusting, hard wipe-off, short buffing cycle you can and will find with some other brands. And if it works on black paint it will work on any color paint.

I test all compounds, polishes and cleaner/waxes, (the products that use abrasive technology), on black paint and SONAX products easily pass with flying colors. They also work on a wide spectrum of paints including very hard paints, very soft paints and everything in-between and I can't say that for all brands.

Best of all, I really only use and showcase products I like and trust and I like and trust SONAX.

Hope that helps and alleviates any of your doubts or fears of my sincerity, integrity or honesty when it comes to writing and sharing products I use to detail cars or products I write reviews and how-to articles about.

4. Likes JustJesus liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post

It was first introduced to me that night.

I hope Ag gets the pics up to show the carnage of a rotary in the wrong hands.
    This pictures are now up...

Quote Originally Posted by GSKR View Post

literally took me 5 minutes to fully correct a fender with this product.
    It truly is a very high quality compound/polish. I think it works great for anyone doing two-step paint details, as in

Step 1 - Machine polishing to remove defects.
    Step 2 - Seal the paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike

Did you have to prime the pad before using the product

Thank you

Adam

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
    Mike

Did you have to prime the pad before using the product

Thank you

Adam

It's a good idea and I'd say priming a new clean dry pad is better than not priming the pad for effectiveness reasons when first starting with a fresh pad.

Most of the time now days I don't prime pads I just place some product onto the face of the pad then set the pad against a paint panel and smoosh it around then turn the polisher on and go to town...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Mike! The pictures really put the write up into context...and the car looks amazing!

I'm really liking the idea of some of these polishes that are fairly aggressive, yet finish out LSP ready. As the owner of a black German car with really hard paint, anything that allows me to do an annual touch up in one step vs. two is a winner in my book.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Silly little question about doing the test spot:

If testing different products with an orange pad (or any color or type of pad) do you switch pads along with the different products used to compound or polish?
    Always keep the shine in your life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by runrun411 View Post

If testing different products with an orange pad (or any color or type of pad) do you switch pads along with the different products used to compound or polish?
    I do switch up to a fresh pad when moving to a different product while testing. I feel if I don't go to a clean pad and start mixing products, you'll never really know if it is the new product or some combination of the one you just tested and the new one. Fortunately, my product inventory is pretty small, and it never takes more than a couple tests to dial in the right combo.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by runrun411 View Post

In a perfect world the answer is YES.

The true test is testing the product to be used with the pad to be used for the process.

Using a used pad, already contaminated with a previously tested product will skew your results.

For this project I tested a white foam polishing pad to avoid any residual marring issues caused by too aggressive of a pad.

See what I wrote here,

How to choose and use a one-step cleaner/wax by Mike Phillips

This part....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips

Your goal
    When doing a one-step, your goal is to use the least aggressive cleaner/wax possible to get the job done because even when using high quality products, pads, tools and techniques, there’s always the risk of leaving micro-marring in the paint.

The secret to successfully doing one-steps
    The secret to using a one-step cleaner/ wax without micro-marring the paint is to use the softest foam pad you can get away with. When I say,

Use the softest foam pad you can get away with….

This means you need to do some testing with both your cleaner/wax and some soft foam polishing or waxing pads and test to see if your softest pad will leave behind a clear, shiny finish without micro-marring or hazing the paint. This means you need to have a selection of soft pads in your pad collection.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast