autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review and How-To - NEW McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant

Review and How-To - NEW McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant

McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant

Tip
    The best way to keep matte finishes looking new is to start taking care of them while they still look new.

I am so thankful for this product.

Why?

Because anytime I go to any car show, detailing class or any other car event populated with car guys, I always have people come up to me and ask me...

Mike, is there a product for matte finishes?

Now that's a fairly vague question. Because I know what they are really asking about and what they are really dealing with because I get this question a LOT.

What they mean is they have some type of matte finish including one of the below...

• Stripes running down the hood of their car.
    • Stripes running across the width of their car.
    • Some other matte graphics or decals affixed to their car.
    • A matte wrap over their car or a portion of their car.
    • A matte finish. (flat dull paint)

And there's something wrong. In most cases, the problem is there are water spots on the finish or some other type of stain and in some cases defects like scratches or bird dropping stains.

So here's the reality for matte finishes.

If you have any type of major defect on or in the matte finish there's likely nothing that you can pour out of bottle, spray out of a bottle or scoop out of a can that is going to undo the damage.

Why?

Because these types of finishes, materials and surfaces tend to be difficult to repair. That's not my fault. That's not anyone's fault. It's the nature of the beast. When I'm in conversation with people that have damage like described above I do my best to educate them on the delicate nature of the matte finish on their vehicle and in a kind and gentle way, encourage them to consider this issue anytime they decide to make a purchase of anything with a matte finish moving into the future.

Sure a matte finish looks cool. But the honest truth is it's the type of finish that is difficult to repair once it's damaged.

Now that I've put all of that out there for you to digest, here's the good news!

If you own something that has a matte finish AND the matte finish is currently in new or like new condition - then this is the product for you and RIGHT NOW - while the matte finish is STILL in new or like new condition, get this product and start using it. Not only will it keep the beautiful matte finish appearance looking crisp and new it will also protect it as much as is possible with current technology.

So read the below and then make it your new best practice and the matte finish on your vehicle will always look new

Find something you like and use it often

The above is a quote from my friend Jack Anderson who was a Paint Instructor for PPG (an automotive paint company). He shared it with me and I've been sharing it with others in the online world since at least 1994. The full story can be found in my article by the same name here.

Here's what it means in the context of taking care of your car's paint...

Find something you like and use it often
    If you like a product, that usually means you like the experience of using it which includes the application of the product. That is you like how the product applies. It also tends to mean you like how the product wipes-off. It can also mean you like how fast or slow it dries or the fact that it doesn't have to dry at all and you can wipe it off immediately.

And most important, it means you like how it makes the paint on your car look and that's a huge part of the big picture of owning and enjoying your car, truck, suv or special interest vehicle.

Now let me apply the above to your matte finish.

RIGHT NOW, while the matte finish on your vehicle is in new or like new condition, get this product. Also purchase some new microfiber towels and DEDICATE these new towels for use ONLY with your McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant.

Next - Each time you wash your car, after you dry the finish,

Step 1: Mist some of McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant onto the matte finish surfaces on your vehicle.

Step 2: Spread the product out over a section of the finish like you would if you were using a spray detailer on car paint.

Step 3: Flip to the dry side of your microfiber towel and wipe off the excess residues.

Step 4: Repeat this process as you work around your vehicle cleaning and protecting the matte finish and switch to a fresh, clean dry microfiber towel as needed.

When you are done, immediately make a small wash load and wash ONLY these microfiber towels (with themselves), then dry them, then fold them then store them in a dust-free environment to protect them from any kind of contamination. If you don't have some clean space a cupboard somewhere to store them then purchase a plastic storage bin or Tupperware container and mark it and dedicate it for storage of your dedicated matte finish microfiber towels.

Treat this product and the towels like fine tools.

Here's some pictures of this wonderful new product in action...

Also, there's a testimony from the owner of this Hellcat at the end of this post. Be sure to read it as he called me the next day with some REALLY GREAT news for any of you that might have some fine water spots already on your car's matte finish.

How to Directions

SHAKE WELL BEFORE USE

USE ON A COOL SURFACE IN THE SHADE

Use McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant just like you would use a spray detailer for paint.

Step 1: Mist some of McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant onto the matte finish surfaces on your vehicle.

Step 2: Spread the product out over a section of the finish like you would if you were using a spray detailer on car paint.

Step 3: Flip to the dry side of your microfiber towel and wipe off the excess residues.

Step 4: Repeat this process as you work around your vehicle cleaning and protecting the matte finish and switch to a fresh, clean dry microfiber towel as needed.

McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant can also be used on matte finish rims. Be sure to wash them first and remove any brake dust and road grime.

This spoiler is plastic and has a matte finish. McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant is the perfect cleaner and protectant for these areas on your car.

A note to professional detailers
    Matte Finishes, from the factory or as a dealer installed accessory, are more prevalent than ever. If you detail cars for money, you should be equipped to work on these types of finishes (have a bottle of McKee’s 37 in your arsenal). Then, educate your customer on how delicate these surface are and share with them that the best way to keep matte finishes looking new is to regularly maintain them with product like McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant along with using clean, soft microfiber towels.

Beautiful!
    (and wicked looking too!)

Don't wait till they start looking water spotted or dull because by then it might be too late.

On Autogeek.com

McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant - 16 ounce

McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant - 128 ounces (1-gallon)

McKee's 37 Matte Finish Care Kit

Dedicated microfiber towels for matte finishes
    If you own something with a matte finish, it's important that you know there's no easy, fast or practical way to remove scratches or other defects IN this types of finishes. For this reason it's vitally important that ANYTHING that touches a matte finish be clean and soft. If you have not already created a collection of plush, microfiber towels JUST for maintaining matte finishes, then start when you order McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant.

Have on hand a collection of microfiber towels that are dedicated for use ONLY on matte finishes. Wash, dry and store these dedicated towels only with themselves. Here's three bulk option packages.

Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towels- 3 Pack

Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towels - 6 Pack

Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towels - 12 Pack

Mike Phillips

Re: Review and How-To - NEW McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant

McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant for Black Satin Plastic Finishes

Plastic with a black, satin finish is very common on new vehicles today. The satin finish can be used to create a high performance appearance like you see on this modern muscle car like my friend Ken's 2016 Dodge Challenger Scatpack Shaker with the Plum Crazy color option. This Dodge has a lot of what Dodge calls satin finish plastic components and surfaces. For example the Shaker air scoop on the 392 Hemi engine that pokes through the hood for an aggressive muscle car look.

If not regularly cleaned and protected, this cool looking Shaker air scoop will fade and instead enhancing the appearance of this Dodge Challenger Scatpack Shaker it will distract from the appearance and require more work to undo the neglect and resulting damage.

Start right now!
    While this car is brand new and everything still looks new, this is the right time to start maintaining this satin finish with McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant.

Matte Finish Stripes

There are two sets of matte finish stripes that run across the back of this Dodge Challenger that also create the high performance muscle car look and like the Shaker Hood Scoop, right now is the time to start cleaning and protecting these stripes to maintain their matte appearance and factory new look.

Satin Finish Fuel Filler Door
    In keeping with the aggressive look this modern muscle car has a black satin finish fuel filler door that adds visual contrast against the Plum Crazy paint scheme.

The secret to keeping any vehicle looking factory new is using high quality products on a regular schedule.

On Autogeek.com

McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant - 16 ounce

McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant - 128 ounces (1-gallon)

McKee's 37 Matte Finish Care Kit

Dedicated microfiber towels for black satin finishes
    If you own something with a black satin finish then stock up on high quality, plush microfiber towels to use with McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant.

Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towels- 3 Pack

Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towels - 6 Pack

Gold Plush Jr. Microfiber Towels - 12 Pack

Mike Phillips

Here's a testimony from Frank, the owner of the Hellcat

Quote Originally Posted by Frank

Hello Mike,

Just a quick note to thank you for introducing me to McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner and Protectant. I have tried several products in the past year on my matte finish hood and have never been able to achieve the clear and deep finish that you did with this product.

My matte finish hood looks better now than when it left the factory.

Thanks again,

Frank

Thank you Frank for your feedback!

And thank you for trusting us with your incredibly nice Hellcat.

Owner Frank and I at Autogeek's Show Car Garage

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike, I've only gotten through about half of the 1st post so far, but I had to stop for a sec. and let you know what an amazing and informative thread you've put together here. I've already learned something new, and I'm not even halfway done reading! Great job and thank you for stuff like this.👍🏽

Post Thanks / Like

Great article as always Mike!!!

A few questions..

Can this product be used when the matte finish is dirty/dusty? Or does the surface have to be clean? (I didn't see this in your article. Please forgive me if I missed it) You said that the wheels have to be clean before using this product so I was wondering if the same is a requirement for matte paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant can also be used on matte finish rims. Be sure to wash them first and remove any brake dust and road grime.
    Why can't a waterless wash or a rinseless wash be used to clean matte finishes? I get the protectant portion for matte finishes because you don't want to add shine to that kind of surface.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Great article as always Mike!!!

A few questions..

1. Can this product be used when the matte finish is dirty/dusty? Or does the surface have to be clean? (I didn't see this in your article. Please forgive me if I missed it) You said that the wheels have to be clean before using this product so I was wondering if the same is a requirement for matte paint.

2. Why can't a waterless wash or a rinseless wash be used to clean matte finishes? I get the protectant portion for matte finishes because you don't want to add shine to that kind of surface.
    Great questions, Marc. I'll answer on Mike's behalf because he's in the Show Car Garage with Yancy filming a new video!

1. Yes. It does contain cleaners and lubricious polymers that allow this product to essentially be used as a waterless wash. This car came in with quite a bit of brake dust on it, so Mike erred on the side of caution with his article. With that being said, this product can be used to remove light brake dust from wheels (light meaning fresh, not a month's worth!).

2. Technically most (wax free) waterless and rinseless wash products are in fact safe for matte finishes, but they are 1. not going to clean as well as this specially formulated product and 2. they're not going to offer the protection that McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner & Protectant provides every time you use it.

Frequent car care is easy car care

Find a product you like and use it often

Those two phrases apply to matte finishes especially!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot Nick!! I appreciate the response.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Thanks a lot Nick!! I appreciate the response.
    Also, to add to what I said...here's the quote from FRANK (owner of the Hell Cat)

Hello Mike,

Just a quick note to thank you for introducing me to McKee's 37 Matte Finish Cleaner and Protectant. I have tried several products in the past year on my matte finish hood and have never been able to achieve the clear and deep finish that you did with this product.

My matte finish hood looks better now than when it left the factory.

Thanks again,

Frank
    Here's the point: he's tried a lot of cleaners and protectants on the hood of his Hell Cat, and they all presumably worked well to remove dirt and grime, but none of them have been able to achieve, and I quote, "the clear and deep finish that you did with this product."

So while technically YES, products like ONR are perfectly safe to use on matte finishes, they aren't going to benefit them in any way, meaning the appearance or the protection.

A lot of research and development goes into a product like this to ensure it works better than anything else on the surface that it's intended for, which in this case is a matte finish.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post

Hi Mike, I've only gotten through about half of the 1st post so far, but I had to stop for a sec. and let you know what an amazing and informative thread you've put together here.

I've already learned something new, and I'm not even halfway done reading!

Great job and thank you for stuff like this.

Thank your for the nice compliment. It's greatly appreicated. Writing is an art forum just like polishing paint. The most important goal is to have your writing read and digested. So I type like I would talk if we were in the garage working on a car.

Post Thanks / Like

This product is awesome!!!!! I've used it as a detail spray on matte and satin wraps, waterless wash on dusty cars that have been sitting collecting dust. The finish comes out clean every time, even in the AZ heat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast