autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot's Garage NEW BOSS Paint Polishing System

If the machine goes to 6 then the pads made for it should be able to handle it. No excuse if you ask me. I mean what's the point of 6 speeds if you can only use 5 of em?

Griots will replace the pads for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nothingface5384 View Post
    Being new to machine polishing didnt know of such limit lol
    Just figured speed 5 and 6 were for correction and didnt think of a pad not withstanding it as it were boss pads made for boss polisher..
    EXpensive lesson on my part as it was 1 job and pads were straight out of packages....

If a pad of a polishing system cant be used , why have those speeds on the polisher? Wht would a manufacturer setup their system and their customer for failure lol
    Or atoeast have a note/warning that say hey our polisher has 6 speeds but tests say our pads are only good up to speed 4 or 4.5

Thats 6 pads i pretty much laid to rest or atleast started their death bed

Ill be glad when 3d releases their new pads
    They did testing right
    Abuse the living sh!t out of them, as in 1 pad per car..multiple jobs and it still looks good/un hurt

Griot is like building an v8 engine that revs to 7k but with cast rods that only hold up to 5k...
    Where as 3d seems to be building a total forged/ billet enginento withstand its max capabilites plus some abuse here and there..
    IMO speed 5-6 are for times when you need a little extra power on a curved surface or working on RIDS. I have 13 polishers and I don't run a single one of them full speed throughout the entire polishing process of a car. I can take anyone of my DA's and make a foam pads fail, regardless of who it's made by.

DA polishers generate heat at the center of the pad. High tool speed, pad saturation, and extended use (whole car with 1 pad) are well known factors in generating excess heat, resulting in pad failure. A quick search will find many threads with failures and the result is almost always a result of the above.

Not sure I get the V8 analogy...how many engines actually run at redline 24/7. I'm confident something on my truck would break prematurely if I drove around bouncing off the rev limiter the enire time.

Run the tool at lower speeds unless you need more power to get through a curved area. Your pads will last longer and your finish will likely look better too.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Griot is like building an v8 engine that revs to 7k but with cast rods that only hold up to 5k...
    I think that's the wrong analogy, buffing pads are a wear item, kind of like brake pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Like I said new to machine polishing lol
    Hows it wrong anaolgy..you guys just didnt get it
    Everything in an engine is wear in tear item..

Rods tend to fail with too much rpms
    Apparently so does a pad

Mike Phillips

Being new to machine polishing didnt know of such limit lol
    Being a guy that's been around before 3M had foam pads in their line I've seen a LOT of changes in pad technology as well as backing plate technology. In fact in my how-to book I have a chapter on backing plates and the story about "why" backing plate manufacturers had to re-engineer their plates to make them stronger.

You can find this info on page 52 & 53 of the 1st edition: The Art of Detailing (No longer available)

You can find this info on page 53 on the 2nd edition: The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine

Just figured speed 5 and 6 were for correction and didnt think of a pad not withstanding it as it were boss pads made for boss polisher.

EXpensive lesson on my part as it was 1 job and pads were straight out of packages....
    Just goes to show the power of the tool exceeds current pad technology.

RUPES has the same issue. One of the reasons for the rubber shroud on the RUPES tool is to limit the maximum RPM of the pad rotation if the tool is held in the air BECAUSE the tool can spin the pad faster than current pad technology can handle.

So it's not just and issue for Griot's it's an issue in the industry.

If a pad of a polishing system cant be used , why have those speeds on the polisher? Wht would a manufacturer setup their system and their customer for failure lol
    I'd say they do a great job as a business but it can often times be hard to be perfect 100 percent of the time for all businesses.

Or at least have a note/warning that say hey our polisher has 6 speeds but tests say our pads are only good up to speed 4 or 4.5
    Moving into the future with feedback like yours perhaps they'll include the note or perhaps because technology is always improving, (like the cell phone purchased yesterday is already out of date), the "industry" will improve pad technology to keep up with all the cool tools on the market.

Ill be glad when 3d releases their new pads
    They did testing right
    Abuse the living sh!t out of them, as in 1 pad per car..multiple jobs and it still looks good/un hurt
    Time will tell. I'm impressed with the 3D products I've used.

One thing for sure, historically as you work around a car, foam pads become wet or saturated with the product you're using and WET FOAM does not perform as good as dry or damp foam.

So even if they do release a better mouse trap I'll stick by what I always say and when it comes to working efficiently and producing the best results on thin, scratch-sensitive and hard clearcoat paints....

More pads = better results and faster results

And by switching to a fresh, dry pad more often the overall life expectancy of any pad will be longer, not shorter.

Where as 3d seems to be building a total forged/ billet enginento withstand its max capabilites plus some abuse here and there..
    A tip on giving constructive feedback...

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by d33p View Post

If the machine goes to 6 then the pads made for it should be able to handle it. No excuse if you ask me. I mean what's the point of 6 speeds if you can only use 5 of em?

See my answers to nothingface... I think I covered it pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone try using LC Hybrid pads on a boss polisher? How's it work?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

BOSS™ Buffing Pads are built to last and contain some of the finest components and construction on the market. There are however things which can contribute to shortened life of our and any other pads including:

Excessive downward pressure - THE BOSS can effectively remove most defects with the use of just light pressure and slow arm speed. This technique will ensure pads last several cars if not more. The Micro Fiber, White and Orange foam pads can withstand light to moderate pressure. The softer black and yellow foams do not require any downward pressure…only letting the tool weight maintain smoother operation.

Pad rotation - As pads take on product, they become heavier. In some cases, they can double in weight. This excessive weight, combined with the long-throw orbit, will reduce pad life. We’d recommend ideally rotating out pads for fresh ones after 1-3 panels. Internally, we typically use 4-5 per vehicle. This also manages heat build-up in the pads, which will also soften the foam and make them more prone to tearing. The foam we use is the finest in the business…there isn’t anything more durable.

Pad Maintenance - Frequently cleaning pads with the use of a nylon bristle pad brush, cotton towel or compressed air will knock out excess product managing pad weight. Make certain to clean the pad after each liquid cycle. Takes a second and contributes to effective correction and longer pad life

Pad Washing - Once complete, rinse pads thoroughly in warm or hot water to release most of the product emulsion. Spray with Micro Fiber and Foam Pad Cleaner, knead the pad to induce foaming and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and allow to air dry.

We have test pads that we've had since early development stages that show no signs of wear. They have hours and hours of use on them.

Please know the BOSS Pads are weight matched to THE BOSS. The use of thicker pads will inevitably weigh 8-10g more, contributing to vibration. Also, if you’re looking for a bullet-proof pad for moderate to heavy correction, check out the Micro Fiber FAST Cutting Pad
    Bill from Griot's Garage - Have fun in your garage!

Super Member Joe@NextLevelDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Griot's Garage View Post
    BOSS™ Buffing Pads are built to last and contain some of the finest components and construction on the market. There are however things which can contribute to shortened life of our and any other pads including:

Excessive downward pressure - THE BOSS can effectively remove most defects with the use of just light pressure and slow arm speed. This technique will ensure pads last several cars if not more. The Micro Fiber, White and Orange foam pads can withstand light to moderate pressure. The softer black and yellow foams do not require any downward pressure…only letting the tool weight maintain smoother operation.

Pad rotation - As pads take on product, they become heavier. In some cases, they can double in weight. This excessive weight, combined with the long-throw orbit, will reduce pad life. We’d recommend ideally rotating out pads for fresh ones after 1-3 panels. Internally, we typically use 4-5 per vehicle. This also manages heat build-up in the pads, which will also soften the foam and make them more prone to tearing. The foam we use is the finest in the business…there isn’t anything more durable.

Pad Maintenance - Frequently cleaning pads with the use of a nylon bristle pad brush, cotton towel or compressed air will knock out excess product managing pad weight. Make certain to clean the pad after each liquid cycle. Takes a second and contributes to effective correction and longer pad life

Pad Washing - Once complete, rinse pads thoroughly in warm or hot water to release most of the product emulsion. Spray with Micro Fiber and Foam Pad Cleaner, knead the pad to induce foaming and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly and allow to air dry.

We have test pads that we've had since early development stages that show no signs of wear. They have hours and hours of use on them.

Please know the BOSS Pads are weight matched to THE BOSS. The use of thicker pads will inevitably weigh 8-10g more, contributing to vibration. Also, if you’re looking for a bullet-proof pad for moderate to heavy correction, check out the Micro Fiber FAST Cutting Pad
    Nice post

I agree the microfiber pads really are bullet proof

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it normal when the washer is put on the backing plate for the backing plate to rub on the shroud when in use?I mean it spins more freely than with the washer off but it still rubs?I have the G21.

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728 LastLast