autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review & How-To: Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Paint Coating

Quote Originally Posted by mwoolfso View Post
    Does anyone know the shelf-life of this coating?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post

Shelf life is approximately 18 months. Store it indoors.

New For SEMA! Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Coating
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Nick!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by apthai View Post

Thanks Mike! I can't wait for my order to come.

I got a quick question.

How does the slickness compare to WG DGPS3?

That's what I currently have on my car and love how slick it is.
    To be honest it's not as slick feeling as the Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant but most coatings are not slick to the touch and especially the silky slickness like the WDGPS which has an almost cult-like following just for the slickness it provides.

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post
    Mike,

Great write up. I may need glasses, but I didn't see any comment on how many applicator pads should be used for a regular sized car. As you know, some companies that use the gauze pads or the suede mf suggest discarding them after a certain number of panels to avoid micromarring. Do you recommend using more than one LC applicator per job? Do you discard the applicator after finished or clean it?
    My buddy Jason helped me to coat the car and we used two of the Lake Country foam coating applicator pads and didn't have any problems during application but afterwards we did throw them away.

Quote Originally Posted by kevincwelch View Post

Also, I see you have about 5mL left over. I assume you cap the syringe with the original cap and store. How long will it last after you've uncapped it for the first use?

Thanks!

It will be gone before it's an issue but for the exact answer I'll have to check with Nick as I didn't get this information at the time. It was a time crunch week for me trying out new prototype tools and products, taking pictures and then writing reviews plus prepping for SEMA.

Sorry for the late replay, kind of busy the last week...

SEMA Day 1 with Autogeek

SEMA Day 2 with Autogeek

SEMA Day 3 with Autogeek

SEMA Day 4 with Autogeek

Bottom line for most people this in an easy ceramic paint coating to use as long as you stick to the one panel at a time method and the results speak for themselves.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Mike! Already picked some up!

(Sent via my mobile device)

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Mike... Would you recommend topping the coating with wax or sealant for added gloss and protection? Thanks!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by 3juan8 View Post

Hi Mike...

Would you recommend topping the coating with wax or sealant for added gloss and protection?

Thanks!
    In most cases I'd say "no".

First coatings create a lot of gloss, in fact that's one of the features people really like. I can post lots of pictures of cars that look glossy using wax too so it's not that a quality wax doesn't create gloss it's just that most people consider coatings to create what I call the glassy look which is a tick higher gloss factor than the glossy look.

As for protection, I guess some people could make the case that by applying a wax over a coating that before any "substance" or "mechanical object" could come into contact with the coating to try to destroy it that it would first have to come into contact with the layer of wax and destroy it.

That's a great hypothetical and the detailing would is full of hypothetical situations but to me I would do a really good job of prepping the paint and then applying the coating and then enjoying the appearance and protection provided by the coating.

Invest your time, skill and resources into carefully washing the coating to preserve it instead of trying to protect it with a layer of wax.

That's my take at least...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike,
    Prep, managing product application and maintenance...can you also suggest a plan on removal?
    3 years go by or one very bad winter season from salt & sand or maybe poor prep in a small area and time to start over.

-Removal process...abrasion or chemical?
    -Is it possible to re-apply over itself as in layering or amalgamate?

I'm interested in how would you manage removal on the vented hood on that old Mercury, around applied emblems, corners, rubber meets paint, etc...?
    And last what will the product look like in time if not 100% removed from tight areas...remain clear, flake, crystalize or age ambering?

Thanks Rick

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rhk531 View Post
    Mike,
    Prep, managing product application and maintenance...can you also suggest a plan on removal?
    3 years go by or one very bad winter season from salt & sand or maybe poor prep in a small area and time to start over.

-Removal process...abrasion or chemical?
    -Is it possible to re-apply over itself as in layering or amalgamate?

I'm interested in how would you manage removal on the vented hood on that old Mercury, around applied emblems, corners, rubber meets paint, etc...?
    And last what will the product look like in time if not 100% removed from tight areas...remain clear, flake, crystalize or age ambering?

Thanks Rick

The only way I know to make 100 percent for sure the coating is removed would be to mechanically remove it via compounding or polishing.

If it were me, and I wanted to make 100 percent for sure the coating was off the paint I'd use a high quality compound with a foam cutting pad and re-buff the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Applied Wolfgang Uber Coating to my hyper blue STi 2 weeks ago, and I just couldn't be happier with the results. Very easy to apply, and I had zero issues with high spots. Just follow the advice in this thread and you won't have any issues with this product.

The product looks fantastic too. Better than expected. This is the best LSP I've ever used...the only thing remaining to be seen is how well it holds up.

Fantastic product so far.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome job and review. Was there a before coating and after coating thickness reading?

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast