autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot's Garage NEW BOSS Paint Polishing System

WOW!!! What a beast of a DA!! Griot's makes quality products and this BOSS DA is a force to be reckoned with. IMO, the price point (with the Griot's products included) is extremely competitive.

IMO it is only a matter of time before we see the threads....which one is better Flex vs Rupes and now the BOSS.

IMO it DOES NOT MATTER which one is better! All it does is gives us more choices to get better at detailing!!! We ALL Win!!

AWESOME!!
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

It has double the horsepower of the rupes, and we all know that people bought the griots 6" rather than the porter cable because well it's got more horsepower

Sent from iPhone 6
    2015 Audi //S4 (Ibis White)
    1995 BMW ///M3 (Alpine White)

3. Likes A-train liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm no electrical engineer but the Boss specs show 900 watts, vs 500 for the Rupes. I think that's more.

Perhaps one thing to take into consideration. One thing for sure, I didn't expect to be considering adopting a Chinese baby after reading this announcement.

Post Thanks / Like

People don't even recommend the porter cable anymore, they say get the griots it has more power, this is the exact same scenario..
    2015 Audi //S4 (Ibis White)
    1995 BMW ///M3 (Alpine White)

Post Thanks / Like

Major kudos to Griots on this. More power than the Rupes and a lifetime warranty, I have already had my GG replaced when I had an issue. Griots customer service is outstanding. I can't see anyone getting this polisher being disappointed.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

That is an amazing write up Mike! And boy did Meghan ever score on that extreme make over!!!
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I hate to to a downer, but this is exactly what I expected...a Chinese Rupes. Relabeled Maxshine that has been on eBay for ever. Just shop on Alibaba for the next great polisher. AG just needs to drop Rupes. I feel for their company. Everyone here railed against Maxshine, now we can buy a Maxshine competitor? Duplication. Now I don't trust ant Griots products. I apologize if I upset AG or any potential buyers, but this is a forum and this is my opinion.
    How do you know that? Have you been to the plant where it's manufactured. Is it for sure made in China, even if it is, it's pretty much the norm these days. And I'm not going down that road. But I also I couldn't see on the side of the machine pictures Mike posted where it's made. But the quality sure looks a lot better than the Rupes knock off you're referring too that's all I can say. People like you who make comments like this are a real downer to me. You haven't even seen or used the machine or product and have know idea what you're talking about but you're here bashing it, AG and Rupes. WOW is all I can say!!! As for your opinion, now you have mine.
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure this is a great polisher, but I do have my doubts about it, especially if you're a weekend warrior:

I think that the most important downside to this polisher is that it does not support backing plates that are smaller than 5''. This means tighter areas will be much more difficult to manage, and it will also be less efficient for spot repairs.
    This probably means that you should have another smaller-orbit polisher at hand (PC or the previous GG), but for the price tag my guess is that anyone who would like to invest in another DA polisher will much prefer getting the Flex 3401 and having the advantage of a forced rotation polisher.

Turning the vibration down to practically non existent (as I inferred from Mike's wonderful in depth review) is a MAJOR plus IMO as compared with the previous GG which could be quite a PITA with regards to this matter. However, the Flex handles this issue as well. I obviously can't compare which tool vibrates less, but I do know that the vibration on the Flex is minimal from my experience.

And so, my conclusion is that if you're a weekend warrior looking to have only one polisher to work with - use a PC or the previous GG. And if you're willing to invest in another polisher - it should be the Flex.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another opinion for whatever it's worth. I obviously haven't used the machine but I love my GG6 (and have a Rupes 15). One of the best aspects of the GG6 is its power relative to the PC and other less popular DA's like the HF, and its overall value at $130 with lifetime warranty. If the BOSS polishers's extra power over the Rupes make them more effective and more useful on curvey panels, the machines will be winners. But...pricing at $365-385 does not make these a better value than the Rupes based on price alone and that stands in contrast to the GG6's position in the polisher market. I guess we'll see if buyers think it's preferable to the Rupes once the reviews start coming in and if it outsells Rupes.

If the extra power makes it more effective or easier to use, I'll sell my Rupes 15 and buy a Boss, but I'm waiting for the first round of reviews. Extra power definitely has my interest though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rmd View Post
    Here's another opinion for whatever it's worth. I obviously haven't used the machine but I love my GG6 (and have a Rupes 15). One of the best aspects of the GG6 is its power relative to the PC and other less popular DA's like the HF, and its overall value at $130 with lifetime warranty. If the BOSS polishers's extra power over the Rupes make them more effective and more useful on curvey panels, the machines will be winners. But...pricing at $365-385 does not make these a better value than the Rupes based on price alone and that stands in contrast to the GG6's position in the polisher market. I guess we'll see if buyers think it's preferable to the Rupes once the reviews start coming in and if it outsells Rupes.

If the extra power makes it more effective or easier to use, I'll sell my Rupes 15 and buy a Boss, but I'm waiting for the first round of reviews. Extra power definitely has my interest though.

It's basically another option for detailers. I have three Rupes so I'm done buying polishers.
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast