autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Griots Garage 3" BOSS HD Oribital Backing Plate

Griot's Garage 3" BOSS HD Orbital Backing Plate

Would you like to get MORE use out of your Griot's 6" Random Orbital Polisher?

Then get the NEW Griot's Garage BOSS 3" HD or HEAVY DUTY backing plate!

The Griot's 5" backing plate on the left and the NEW 3" HD backing plate is on the right.

Simply remove the current backing plate and install the new HD 3" backing plate.

Here's a tip - be sure the compression washer is always in place when swapping backing plates.

Here's another tip, insert the spindle wrench from the opposite side of the counterweight as there is more clearance for the wrench between the shroud and the backing plate when tightening down the backing plate.

The NEW Griot's BOSS 3.5" buffing pads fit the new 3" HD baking plate perfectly!

With the new 3" backing plate installed your Griot's 6" Random Orbital Polisher is ready to go to work!

The smaller 3.5" buffing pads make it easier and safer to buff around components like door handles.

Perfect for buffing thin panels...

And perfect for buffing out thin components...

On Autogeek.com

Griot's Garage 3" BOSS HD Orbital Backing Plate

Mike Phillips

Re: Griots Garage 3" BOSS HD Oribital Backing Plate

***Update***

New product announced at SEMA

Post Thanks / Like

Nice. That's not much bigger than the GG3.

This gives users a factory option of turning the GG6 more or less into a GG3 with all the power from its bigger brother. This way would be a great pair. The larger GG6 with the 5.5" pads and the GG6 with 3" plate and 3.5" pads.

Thanks for sharing Mike.

Mike Phillips

Just to comment further...

After working at SEMA with Jeff Brown he shared that besides the materials used to make this backing plate being heavy duty the backing plate itself is larger and heavier for smoother operation with the counter weight on the Griot's 6" DA Orbital Polisher.

The extra weight also helps to maintain pad rotation via inertia of the extra weight by design.

Post Thanks / Like

How is machine feel during use? Does it feel comparable to other 3" backing plates? Or, if I remember your words from a thread a while back - is it still "tippy"?

Thanks for the extra info on it!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by oneheadlite View Post

How is machine feel during use? Does it feel comparable to other 3" backing plates? Or, if I remember your words from a thread a while back - is it still "tippy"?

Thanks for the extra info on it!

Here's the deal...

ANYTIME you use ANY LARGE tool with a small pad on a horizontal panel the combination can feel and BE tippy.

Let me break it down as to why because I don't think anyone else in the blogosphere has ever has explained the why behind the tippy aspect.

When buffing on a horizontal panel we all tend to start with the weight of the tool for our downward pressure. This takes our focus off holding the tool firmly and purposefully. We don't do this on purpose just out of habit because this is how we all tend to buff with full size pads on full size tools.

This is why whenever I write on the subject of using small pads on large tools I always stress focusing on the task at hand.

When buffing our vertical panels you AUTOMATICALLY MUST GRIP THE TOOL to support it or it would fall to the ground, thus there is no or at least less of a tippy feel since you're supporting the tool.

Buff with ANY full size tool with small pads on both horizontal and vertical panels for awhile and think about what I typed above and it will all make sense.

This is also why I never mind using small pads with a rotary buffer like the FLEX PE14 but find it awkward and even on the ridiculous side to this same thing with full size rotary buffers like the DeWALT and Makita full size rotary buffers.

Make sense?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Here's the deal...

ANYTIME you use ANY LARGE tool with a small pad on a horizontal panel the combination can feel and BE tippy.

Make sense?

Definitely. I was figuring it would be the same as any larger machine on a smaller pad, just wanted to make sure. (And ask in case anyone else was wondering the same).

Post Thanks / Like

Since the backing plate is designed to be more balanced on a 6" polisher and the GG6 uses a common style backing plate, would this be a better balanced choice for someone looking for a 3" plate for their PC XP?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post

Since the backing plate is designed to be more balanced on a 6" polisher and the GG6 uses a common style backing plate, would this be a better balanced choice for someone looking for a 3" plate for their PC XP?

I would think yes and even definitely yes.

I don't think I would use it on the Griot's 3" Mini Polisher for the opposite reasons. It's too big and meaty.

Post Thanks / Like

perfect cant wait for the black friday or cyber monday sale saweeet Autogeek needs to have all on deck as the sales will start lining up !!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast