autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 27 of 27
  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    218
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Griots Garage 3" BOSS HD Oribital Backing Plate

    Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post
    I need to buy the GG6 with a 5 and 3 inch backing plate. My Rupes 15 MkII only works on the right panels. My next smallest polisher is a Dewalt rotary and 2in BP and pads.

    What pads are you using with the 3" BP? How does the GG6 with a 3" work through heavily contoured panels?
    Not the OP but I've been using the Boss pads with the 3" backing plate. I find it's great on contours. The power of the GG6 with the smaller plate seems to power through the curves very well and the Boss MF pads correct very quickly on the 3". I find that I'm using the 3" plate maybe about 40% of the time on a heavily contoured car especially during the compounding phase when I'm trying to get good correction in all kinds of spots on the car.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    78
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Griots Garage 3" BOSS HD Oribital Backing Plate

    Quote Originally Posted by boomdone View Post
    Not the OP but I've been using the Boss pads with the 3" backing plate. I find it's great on contours. The power of the GG6 with the smaller plate seems to power through the curves very well and the Boss MF pads correct very quickly on the 3". I find that I'm using the 3" plate maybe about 40% of the time on a heavily contoured car especially during the compounding phase when I'm trying to get good correction in all kinds of spots on the car.
    What are you using with the 3" Boss pads? Boss Correcting creams? Or do you find other products work well with the Boss pads?

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    218
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Griots Garage 3" BOSS HD Oribital Backing Plate

    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    What are you using with the 3" Boss pads? Boss Correcting creams? Or do you find other products work well with the Boss pads?
    Using Fast Correcting Cream with the microfiber pads for compounding. Thats my favorite combo for quick cutting. Then for polishing I've been using HD Polish+ with the yellow boss pad. HD Polish+ is my go to polish although I havent used Boss Perfecting Cream. The Boss polishes can be a little oily and take few more passes to wipe totally clean I find. The HD Polish+ is so easy to use and remove.

  4. Likes mrbtd liked this post
  5. #24
    Director of Training Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stuart, Florida
    Posts
    38,525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Griots Garage 3" BOSS HD Oribital Backing Plate

    Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post

    Thanks for your thoughts Mike!
    Thank you!



    Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post

    I've had the NEW 3" Backing Plate in my cart along with a set of the new pads.

    Guess what, I went to check out (knowing they wouldn't ship out for awhile) and they came out of the cart saying not available at all.

    I went to find them and there isn't even an add to cart or purchase option now??? The pads that are coming soon can still be purchased, just not the backing plate.

    I'll send the link to this to Customer Care and find out what's going on?



    Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post


    What pads are you using with the 3" BP?
    The Griot's 3" BOSS pads


    Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailing View Post

    How does the GG6 with a 3" work through heavily contoured panels?
    I don't normally use the larger size DA with the tiny backing plate, I find it to be "tippy" and that makes it a tick risky.

    It's okay as long as you focus on the task at hand and don't get distracted.


    Mike Phillips
    Director of Training Autogeek & Marine 31
    IDA Board Member
    CD-SV, RT
    Mike Phillips Facebook Page
    Twitter
    Instagram

    Click on a book to get your own copy.



  6. Thanks LEDetailing, mrken1 thanked for this post
  7. #25
    Director of Training Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stuart, Florida
    Posts
    38,525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Griots Garage 3" BOSS HD Oribital Backing Plate

    Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post

    Guess what, I went to check out (knowing they wouldn't ship out for awhile) and they came out of the cart saying not available at all.

    I went to find them and there isn't even an add to cart or purchase option now???

    The pads that are coming soon can still be purchased, just not the backing plate.

    I was just in the warehouse. There are plenty of 2" pads and 2" backing plates.

    The 2" backing plate is this one, note

    Griots Garage BOSS Air 2 inch Backing Plate


    Note in the description it states it's the AIR 2" backing plate and I just confirmed with Jeff Brown that this is in fact the same 2" backing plate for use on the 3" electric Min Polisher.


    And here's a screenshot of the webpage and you can in fact [Add to Cart]




    Hope that helps...



    Mike Phillips
    Director of Training Autogeek & Marine 31
    IDA Board Member
    CD-SV, RT
    Mike Phillips Facebook Page
    Twitter
    Instagram

    Click on a book to get your own copy.



  8. Thanks mrken1 thanked for this post
  9. #26
    Senior Member WaxMaster1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    759
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Griots Garage 3" BOSS HD Oribital Backing Plate

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    I was just in the warehouse. There are plenty of 2" pads and 2" backing plates.

    The 2" backing plate is this one, note

    Griots Garage BOSS Air 2 inch Backing Plate


    Note in the description it states it's the AIR 2" backing plate and I just confirmed with Jeff Brown that this is in fact the same 2" backing plate for use on the 3" electric Min Polisher.


    And here's a screenshot of the webpage and you can in fact [Add to Cart]




    Hope that helps...



    Hi Mike,
    Thanks for the follow up. I posted that near Thanksgiving time 2016 regarding the 3". I've since been in Stuart and picked up from Bryan.
    Thanks again,
    Chris

  10. #27
    Director of Training Mike Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Stuart, Florida
    Posts
    38,525
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Griots Garage 3" BOSS HD Oribital Backing Plate

    Quote Originally Posted by WaxMaster1 View Post

    Hi Mike,

    Thanks for the follow up. I posted that near Thanksgiving time 2016 regarding the 3". I've since been in Stuart and picked up from Bryan.

    Thanks again,

    Chris

    And you know... usually I look at the post date for each post I'm replying to - today I was just typing faster than I think.


    Glad to hear you were able to get what you needed.

    The good news is, in the process of taking pictures for my Mobile Tech Expo Classes I took enough pictures of multiple tools including the new 2" backing plate and pads to write some more reviews and info-articles...


    In the end... it's all good...


    Mike Phillips
    Director of Training Autogeek & Marine 31
    IDA Board Member
    CD-SV, RT
    Mike Phillips Facebook Page
    Twitter
    Instagram

    Click on a book to get your own copy.



Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Griots Garage 3" / 2 or 1 inch backing plate
    By jehsautosalon in forum Griot’s Garage Polishers - BOSS - 6" DA - 3" DA
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-26-2016, 05:41 PM
  2. BOSS backing plate for GG6"?
    By ViperGuy21 in forum Wet-Sanding, Cutting & Buffing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-07-2016, 11:26 AM
  3. Can I use 3" Backing Plate on My 6" Griots DA?
    By explorerlyon in forum Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Orbital Polisher
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-21-2013, 01:27 AM
  4. Griot's Garage 6" won't accept Lake Country 5" Backing Plate?
    By kosoku in forum Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Orbital Polisher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-01-2013, 06:58 AM
  5. Griots 6" backing plate VS. Lake Country's backing plate
    By ryanmcg1 in forum Product Reviews
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-29-2011, 11:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •