autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Love keeping my car clean

Hello, I was just wondering if any1 else loves to keep their car clean everyday even though it is not dirty. I mean like to quick detail it as much as possible. I cant stop and it is 105degrees out here. I am sweating like a pig but I just love to wipe my car down, keep it smooth and soft like a baby's bottom. Am I the only one who has this much time on their hands? I don't think so but I would love to hear from you.

Post Thanks / Like
    How long have you had this desire ? At some point I predict you will someday damage your paint.

We all go through this but once you induce a few self induced swirls by constantly touching the paint , you'll get over it. It will happen. Your car gets dust on it every minute of every day garage or no garage. At some point in your rush to wipe, you will damage the paint.

The objective is to touch the paint as little as possible. I wash once a week and never touch the paint between washes. I have discovered that this is my ticket to keeping it swirl free. Constant daily wiping no matter how careful I was ...was counter product and frankly 98 % of people looking at your car won't notice the imperfect surface.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Love keeping my car clean

I will QD my vehicle anywhere from zero to 4x per week. It just depends on my mood and how much free time I have. Could I instill swirls, yep it is possible but it is also possible that it won't happen. I find it relaxing and also have a chance to inspect the paint for any issues that require spot-corrections.

Notwithstanding the validity of Silverfox's comments, it's your car and you should enjoy it any way you like. If you instill a few swirls then you get to remove them. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    The tools (MF, Clay, Pads, waxes) need to be harder than the paint to scratch the paint IMO

Every time you "touch" the paint it might introduce a scratch/mar even down to the microscopic level etc...

Thanks to AGO I have learned a bunch of new ways of not "touching" your paint. And still keeping it clean and healthy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    The tools (MF, Clay, Pads, waxes) need to be harder than the paint to scratch the paint IMO

Every time you "touch" the paint it might introduce a scratch/mar even down to the microscopic level etc...

Thanks to AGO I have learned a bunch of new ways of not "touching" your paint. And still keeping it clean and healthy.
    Interesting to think about the "microscopic level"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stilltipping3 View Post
    Hello, I was just wondering if any1 else loves to keep their car clean everyday even though it is not dirty. I mean like to quick detail it as much as possible. I cant stop and it is 105degrees out here. I am sweating like a pig but I just love to wipe my car down, keep it smooth and soft like a baby's bottom. Am I the only one who has this much time on their hands? I don't think so but I would love to hear from you.
    Its all fun and games till you realize you're doing more damage to your car than good.

Post Thanks / Like

I use to wipe my cars down daily, until I figured out I had to do more corrections.
    It's hard to stand there and see the dust though, kills me to not touch it. Lol
    Most of the time I hand wash it twice a week.
    Sometimes instead of a wash I'll break out my GG Speed Shine, a bucket of water and several soft MF towels, I spray each paneldownwell, using a wet towel I gently wipe it in on directions with good results but as I said most of the time it's clean being for the two washes I do per week.
    Wiping a car daily with DA isn't the way to go IMO but each their own.
    It's what one likes to do or not to do really.

I have a vid on YouTube of me using the wash method using the Speed Shine.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember as a kid waxing my tonka trucks! When my dad would wax our car I would grab my trucks and start waxing. I learned real quick how to get wax out of the cracks of cars.

Before I knew any better, I used to wax my first car every time it rained. I had a green 73 Cougar with metal flakes. Thankfully I learned what not to do before I caused any damage.

Now I wash my GTO and the family's cars once a week and wax/detail every 2 months or so due to the relentless Texas sun.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to be that way as well...... Now I just deal with the daily dust and grime until I can wash/wax again.
    On truly bad weather days, the car just stays in the garage.
    2022 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon • 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat •2016 Alfa Romeo 4C Spider • 2006 Buell Lightning-Bolt • 2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Post Thanks / Like
    I would rather have dust and grime sit on my vehicle and wait to do a proper wash method rather then taking a chance wiping the particulates into the paint. I've learned the protection such and wax, sealants, and coatings are your friend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast