autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

View Poll Results: What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Voters
337. You may not vote on this poll
  • Technique

186 55.19%
  • Tool

10 2.97%
  • Pad

8 2.37%
  • Paint

43 12.76%
  • Abrasive technology

90 26.71%
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Mike Phillips

POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

1: Technique.
    2: Tool.
    3: Pad.
    4: Paint.
    5: Abrasive technology.

Which one and why?

Here's two recent articles I've written on the topic of abrasive technology worthy of reading....

Abrasive Technology - THE most important factor when it comes to polishing paint

Pictures of Micro-Marring - DA Haze - Tick Marks - Compounds - Polishes - AIOs - Clearcoat Paints

Medium micro-marring

Post Thanks / Like

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Number one technique. If I had Tiger Woods clubs and he had Walmart clubs, I think he still wins. Nuff said
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: POLL - What's the number one most important factor when it comes to polishing paint?

Is this a trick question?

I went with paint although it seems abrasive technology is usually one of your top ones.

I say paint because the type of paint and its condition will determine which abrasive, and pad, and to a lesser extent the tool and technique.

Mike Phillips

I have this same poll on my facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/Mike.PhillipsAG

Interesting comments and great feedback...

It will be interesting to see what forum people think compared to facebook people.

It's all good!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    Number one technique. If I had Tiger Woods clubs and he had Walmart clubs, I think he still wins. Nuff said
    Great analogy and I agree, however, great tools and products make it easier for pros and novices alike to get great results.

Post Thanks / Like

My vote would be for technique. It seemed at the beginning I kept trying to find a different product or pad that would help me get better results. However, after a while I ended up with several products and the same-ish results. Finally I came to my senses and kept working on how I used the products and tools until I learned to use them properly. Now I get better results with all my products.

I think this also plays into a lot of the anti-rotary comments I've read before. With proper technique you can get outstanding results, or used improperly you can buy a repaint. That said, maybe one day I'll use/own a rotary.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post

Is this a trick question?

No, not at all. Mike Phillips doesn't roll like that. I don't play games and I don't do trick questions.

This is a poll to see what people think and why. It's really up to you and your opinion and there's no wrong or right opinion on this topic. You're going to see people are very different on their opinion.

So vote!

Post Thanks / Like

I picked paint. It is the beginning and end of the whole polishing process. You can polish until your blue in the face, if your paint is not going to ever finish out, what's the point?

Post Thanks / Like

Number 5: Abrasive technology

Basing my choice, (after prior and
    careful introspection), upon your assessment
    as that being so—as found in many of your
    postings such as this:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    If a product, tool, pad etc. works... then I can make it work.

If the one of these components doesn't' work then no one can make it work.

The key component however is always the abrasive technology. It's the abrasives that are touching the paint.

I also agree with this assessment:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Now the paint itself can be a HUGE factor too... that's why you always start any car detailing project by doing a Test Spot.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

My humble opinion.. Paint and abrasive technology are probably more critical than the rest. Techniques and tools can be learnt or adjusted with different situation. Pads is important but it is aint as sensitive as abrasive. A tweak of techniques such as pressure or buffing speed can help to mitigate a little to produce a better finish.

On the other hand, if the abrasive is of low quality, I think there is little we could do to change a poor abrasive to a re-fine one..

Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast